The all new classic football cliche thread

32 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

“The referee has done well to keep his cards in his pocket this early in the game”

^^^ Every old firm game

That’s one that always gets right on my tits.

A similar foul in a Dons v Motherwell game would be a yellow, maybe a red.

In the Glasgow Derby (note the term), it’s a wee word in the ear & “sensible refereeing”.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ernie McCracken said:

When  a striker has made a run in the box, gets on the end of a cross and scores. 

"he's gambled" 

What has he gambled?  If the cross doesn't come in, does he have to make some sort of payout? Why is it a gamble? 

To be fair on this one I think they mean he’s gambled on the defender missing the ball or having some sort of fuck up when the defender should be heading it away.

12 minutes ago, Fridge said:

To be fair on this one I think they mean he’s gambled on the defender missing the ball or having some sort of fuck up when the defender should be heading it away.

But he hasnt gambled. There is nothing at stake for the forward. 

If the defender doesn't miss the ball or fuck up, the forward hasn't lost anything. What is the gamble? 

6 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

But he hasnt gambled. There is nothing at stake for the forward. 

If the defender doesn't miss the ball or fuck up, the forward hasn't lost anything. What is the gamble? 

Because you should probably go and challenge the defender for the ball but you can run in behind and “gamble” he misses it and are clean through.