English Premiership versus Scottish fitba

I had no time for English football thinking it was full of primadonas, if you went into pubs in Aberdeen yummy fanny (so they thought) watching Chelsea or whoever drinking pints (cool) and glueless. I wpuld be in the corner watching Motherwell v Aberdeen with a a few worthies.  Covid and Aberdeen's perfomances weekly on tv makes you realise how crap Scottish football can be.

.Have I seen the light!

4 minutes ago, RedArmyFakshun said:

if i want to watch football, i watch the bundesliga

union berlin v leverkusen was great value last friday

you want the proper deutsch commentary though, no guffy bt sport pish

Bundesliga is a slight improvement on the spl quality wise however, it still consists of Bayern horsing the 2nd place team 4-0 to go 20 points clear, every fucking year. Boring as fuck.

Just now, rocket_scientist said:

It depends how good folk think it is.

I've no skin in the game in terms of interest, I support ABE but a couple of years ago they had all four finalists in the two premier European cups and their champions at the time, Man City, was not on of the four. I reckon that's a piece of data that proves that the EPL is at last "competitive".

Some argue about "the best league in the world" but that's not a conversation I'm interested in. We need to define "best" and have some concrete measurements in place first and I couldn't really give a fuck about that chat.

This morning I watched a lower league Dutch game and enjoyed it, as I have ben enjoying much lower league football over the last 2+ years. I watched Man U v Liverpool and it was boring as hell, as most games are in the EPL.

One thing I'm sure of however, AFC v. Burnley very early season is not a reliable yardstick to compare anything.

?

Best advert for euthanasia I’ve seen in a while

• Haha 1

I don't mind the EPL this season. There's some good footballing teams in there, even the bottom half sides. Leeds, Brighton, Villa all play good football. Leicester are a good watch and so are Wolves if they're in form. 

I watch it because I love football, and always have. As a young lad I supported Arsenal as well as Aberdeen, mostly because I loved Thierry Henry. As I got older my care for them diminished though as I realised it was totally pointless supporting a side you never see play. 

I know heaps of folk who follow and support English football teams, more so than Aberdeen. Casual Dons fans but full time Sky Sport EPL fans. It's rotten. 

Dutch Eredivisie is where it's at. Always shit loads of goals. Watched a cracker the other day; Sparta Rotterdam 3-5 PSV Eindhoven played on a snow covered pitch with a white ball. Superb entertainment! Bundesliga usually pretty good as well. I'm now watching Arsenal v NUFC and believe me it's as bad as anything McInnes has served up. Watched the first 15 mins of Liverpool v Man Utd and turned that off as it was shite. People will always fall for the Sly hype though so they'll always get viewers.

2 minutes ago, TynesideDon said:

Dutch Eredivisie is where it's at. Always shit loads of goals. Watched a cracker the other day; Sparta Rotterdam 3-5 PSV Eindhoven played on a snow covered pitch with a white ball. Superb entertainment! Bundesliga usually pretty good as well. I'm now watching Arsenal v NUFC and believe me it's as bad as anything McInnes has served up. Watched the first 15 mins of Liverpool v Man Utd and turned that off as it was shite. People will always fall for the Sly hype though so they'll always get viewers.

What channel do you get the Dutch football on, is it BT?

2 minutes ago, Hoppy said:

What channel do you get the Dutch football on, is it BT?

I've got IPTV so I watch it on Fox Sports Netherlands but if you download the Livescore app they show all the Dutch games live so you can also put it on your phone and mirror it to your TV. They also show the Bundesliga, Serie A and Portuguese league. I watched Porto v Benfica on there the other night.

I find it utterly bizarre the number of Scottish people obsessed with English football. Even weirder are the ones who claim to "support" an English team. There might be teams you like a bit more from other countries for whatever reason but claiming to support a foreign team? I don't understand it.

Even worse are the parents who encourage it from their kids. Buying them all sorts of English kits and allowing them to claim to support these teams. 

A large part of this, I'd guess, is because our main media channels are essentially English. Look at MOTD being on prime time Saturday night on BBC1, while Scottish football is on pay channels and free to air highlights shoved to Sunday evening. Foreign football is promoted over our own game, it's a shite state of affairs and all the fresh air in the world won't make the slightest difference. 

Just now, Parklife said:

I find it utterly bizarre the number of Scottish people obsessed with English football. Even weirder are the ones who claim to "support" an English team. There might be teams you like a bit more from other countries for whatever reason but claiming to support a foreign team? I don't understand it.

Even worse are the parents who encourage it from their kids. Buying them all sorts of English kits and allowing them to claim to support these teams. 

A large part of this, I'd guess, is because our main media channels are essentially English. Look at MOTD being on prime time Saturday night on BBC1, while Scottish football is on pay channels and free to air highlights shoved to Sunday evening. Foreign football is promoted over our own game, it's a shite state of affairs and all the fresh air in the world won't make the slightest difference. 

Sportscene is on a Saturday night now but agree with what you're saying otherwise.