Hat Book Club What You Reading?

dervish

1 minute ago, rocket_scientist said:

Star Wars appeals to wankers, geeks, mummy's boys and virgins.

I am qualified to know this having never seen any of the films. 

Correct!

seen the first couple growing up but never really appealed to me

more of a book reader anyway but more Herbert,koontz and Richard layman.also like ancient history books such as the epic of Gilgamesh, the Iliad and the odyssey. Quite liked the sick fucks of the old playwrites like Aristophanes and Euripides also Sophocles 

3 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

Correct!

seen the first couple growing up but never really appealed to me

more of a book reader anyway but more Herbert,koontz and Richard layman.also like ancient history books such as the epic of Gilgamesh, the Iliad and the odyssey. Quite liked the sick fucks of the old playwrites like Aristophanes and Euripides also Sophocles 

any Fyodor Dostoyevsky?

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

It's not really. Just another wild generalisation but as always with such instruments, many grains of truth therein. 

Are you a fan of the “classics”

would thought it would appeal to your meticulous nature and would imagine themes and philosophies written within would please you?

1 minute ago, Bluto10 said:

any Fyodor Dostoyevsky?

Am more into ancient aspects of life back then, Dostoyevsky is a bit modern for my liking when reading more serious literature, more anthropological aspects like sociology, religious leanings don’t really float my boat but will read into him and see what he has to say!, his darker themes on poverty look interesting!,cheers bluto for the tip

Would also say that reading the Sumerian bible is terrifyingly terrific!, one of the first religious writings (the first mention of Noah’s ark in written form pre dating the bible by thousands of years) but it’s the demons and afterlife which are at best the most sadistic end to a life one can expect to have!, or not. Tormented in perpetual agony by one of the many beasts!smashing!

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Depends which classics. Metaphysics was probably my favourite of the old Greeks but read a few of them without enthusiasm. Socrates and Plato were great minds. Read a lot of the "classic" literature, much of which is excellent. Thomas Hardy particularly appealed when I was 14/15 ish. Not so much Dickens. 

Aye just the playwrites, some are really entertaining and funny, Aristophanes, Sophocles and Euripides.were very clever political satirists of their time

6 minutes ago, Henry said:

"On a train she meets a boxer-turned-rigger who worked on platforms in Saudi Arabia and the Falklands before moving to Piper Bravo in the North Sea. He says he gets scared lying in his bunk bed. “When they bring the [oil] containers on board at night, and you hear them: boom! You’re working on a floating bomb. A floating bomb that’s just waiting for an ignition source.” Later, after a few drinks, he tells her he once killed a man. She’s not sure whether to believe him but still lets him walk her home."

Guaranteed Geordie.

Guest milne_afc

“It nonetheless builds a grey-hued portrait of a ruthless industry, a dour city and a breed of man who thinks nothing of calling a woman a whore for putting her hand on a man’s arm in a pub“

Strong NE men

49 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

"On a train she meets a boxer-turned-rigger who worked on platforms in Saudi Arabia and the Falklands before moving to Piper Bravo in the North Sea. He says he gets scared lying in his bunk bed. “When they bring the [oil] containers on board at night, and you hear them: boom! You’re working on a floating bomb. A floating bomb that’s just waiting for an ignition source.” Later, after a few drinks, he tells her he once killed a man. She’s not sure whether to believe him but still lets him walk her home."

Guaranteed Geordie.

My first thought too 

6 minutes ago, cheesepipes said:

Doing the toilet in your pants on a long haul is the stories she should have went for. 

Mind seeing a boy walking straight through the departure gate still in his survival suit at Bristow after defecating  in his pants on the chopper (coming back from Bleo Holm)

The struggle is real.

1 hour ago, The Boofon said:

Guaranteed Geordie.

5 minutes ago, Bad_Mobby said:

I wonder it there's any mention of old fat cunts In slippers watching Homes Under the hammer and eating ice cream

I've some stories that would make her toes curl

Geordie scaffolders rocking about with crocs and grey Slazenger trarckies is a sight nobody should witness.

3 hours ago, Arabian Knight said:

wonder if shil tell rumpus story..eed come beck fae aff shore n lock ezsel in a hotel neckin 3btls o whisky a diy..then e went tae efrica..e wis trekkin thru eh jungles o namibia lookin fir a tattoo parlor.. tae git a giant afc crest oan ez inner thigh

Wonder if anyone would get the afchat logo tattooed on them. 

22 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

I'm gonna write a book about my time surviving a pandemic as a small business owner. I reckon I'll push the bit about me surviving covid even though I'm a bit fat cunt will help it sell. 

I see a flaw. It’ll be a while waiting for the pandemic to end with your predictions. 

You’ll be dead before it’s over. 

34 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

I'm gonna write a book about my time surviving a pandemic as a small business owner. I reckon I'll push the bit about me surviving covid even though I'm a bit fat cunt will help it sell. 

You should mention in it how you hate foreign travel but loved holidaying in Benidorm. Would be a great chapter.

44 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Got to include a chapter that covers the early years/backstory of how you got to where you are, boning Brooke Satchwell etc.

Be a must read.