Miko Virtannen

8 hours ago, Millertime said:

Makes you wonder the thinking from mcinnes in putting him on

Is it that he sees him as having a chance of making it?

He has given a debut to quite a few this season, though thinking about it that was one of the KPIs cormack spelled out eh?

My view of mcinnes is a youngster would have to be exceptional to start a game. 

If mcinnes rated miko he would have started him before deano at livi. Obviously game was postponed at late notice. 

I suspect there's an element of boxes being ticked last few weeks with youngsters getting on. 

8 hours ago, Millertime said:

Haha yep

Are there any other prospects you can see being given a chance?

Everything has been blown apart with covid. No games for youngsters. Ramsay is highly rated but he's now injured. Barron was well thought off but don't think he's done much at Brechin. 

The u16s/u17s now had a string of players who were playing with Scotland. No games must be really hindering their development. 

2 minutes ago, PondHopper said:

If Lewis moves late in the window maybe he and dean see some serious minutes out of necessity. 

I suspect miko is seen as more being cover who could play right side also. With mcgeouch due back also its difficult to see how he will get much game time this season. 

1 minute ago, RUL said:

I suspect miko is seen as more being cover who could play right side also. With mcgeouch due back also its difficult to see how he will get much game time this season. 

Could be. I'd rather see loanees and youth up and comers get the minutes. 

4 hours ago, PondHopper said:

If Lewis moves late in the window maybe he and dean see some serious minutes out of necessity. 

Miko and Deano are defensive midfielders, not a replacement for Lewis.

I saw the 2 of them play against Hibs in a youth cup final a few years ago, it infuriated me how defensive they were, obviously their role and how they were set up to play but for me just too negative. True Mcinnes style, even when behind.  I'm just a fan though, it's probably me that's wrong.

27 minutes ago, daytripping said:

Miko and Deano are defensive midfielders, not a replacement for Lewis.

I saw the 2 of them play against Hibs in a youth cup final a few years ago, it infuriated me how defensive they were, obviously their role and how they were set up to play but for me just too negative. True Mcinnes style, even when behind.  I'm just a fan though, it's probably me that's wrong.

Has Dean always been a defensive midfielder? Imo he's not got attributes to be one as it stands as his tackling isn't good enough. I know he's playing there but might suit his game playing a bit further forward as he has good quality on the ball. 

One thing is Scott Wright is 23 and coming on to a strong game. Maybe Dean /miko etc need similar time. 

3 hours ago, RUL said:

Has Dean always been a defensive midfielder? Imo he's not got attributes to be one as it stands as his tackling isn't good enough. I know he's playing there but might suit his game playing a bit further forward as he has good quality on the ball. 

One thing is Scott Wright is 23 and coming on to a strong game. Maybe Dean /miko etc need similar time. 

I'm with you. Develop the youth at risk of offending the offensive minded dylan mcgeek. 

• Upvote 1

In the youth team Dean Campbell was not so much a defensive midfielder,he simply strolled through games playing good passes and letting others flourish.He had a nice style that was pleasing on the eye,a natural footballer and leader and captain of the team. Sometimes he would score amazing goals like his You Tube youth team goal at Balgownie v Celtic from inside his own half. First team is different and he has not commanded a regular place for whatever reason .Being part of team that won Scottish cup tie at Ibrox is Dean's finest hour so far.

9 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I'd like to see him get further forward as well. 

It's like he's not allowed over the halfway line just now. 

9 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I'd like to see him get further forward as well. 

It's like he's not allowed over the halfway line just now. 

1 hour ago, RUL said:

Couldn't find that goal but found this one. That's what he's not done enough.

Thank you RUL,a freezing cold night  lit up at Ochilview. Another game going on behind the goals.The glamour of Development reserve league football .Greg Stewart played in this game too.

30 minutes ago, alscotoz said:

Thanks for your thoughts @graham.

it appears Campbell plays as if he's shit scared he makes an error and is not playing his 'natural' game. Thoughts on this?

In the first team Dean Campbell  is nervous all the time fightened to make a mistake,he plays nothing like he did in the youths and reserves.He does not feel a settled part of the first elevenhe is afringe squad man.In the youths and reserves Dean was always the captain and leader. Got sent off recently did he not.

Just now, graham said:

In the first team Dean Campbell  is nervous all the time fightened to make a mistake,he plays nothing like he did in the youths and reserves.He does not feel a settled part of the first elevenhe is afringe squad man.In the youths and reserves Dean was always the captain and leader. Got sent off recently did he not.

Thanks. Do you think that's a character trait rather than an ability issue. He really looks like a player. Maybe moving on would help/playing under a different manager?

Or would it make no difference?

I just remember him very early on in his first team career, sure it was against Celtic when we beat them 1-0 away, league already decided, he came on as a sub and he brought the ball down superbly in the centre circle, looked up with all the time in the world and laid it off. And I thought this guy is a player. Still do. But something doesn't appear to be right?

Just now, alscotoz said:

Thanks. Do you think that's a character trait rather than an ability issue. He really looks like a player. Maybe moving on would help/playing under a different manager?

Or would it make no difference?

I just remember him very early on in his first team career, sure it was against Celtic when we beat them 1-0 away, league already decided, he came on as a sub and he brought the ball down superbly in the centre circle, looked up with all the time in the world and laid it off. And I thought this guy is a player. Still do. But something doesn't appear to be right?

He does look like he plays with shackles on at the moment...

Send him up to County on loan for the rest of the season and see if Big Yogi can get a tune out of him.  If he's a good player Yogi will let him play...

Dean is still young sonoftherock,he is at a crossroads,does he stay and establish himself in the first team, taking advantage of all the midfield injuries and suspensions or does he go out on loan for valuable experience and risk being forgotten about down Pittodrie way. A dilemma and not easy.Hopefully Dean gest a game at Perth midweek and plays well.

13 minutes ago, graham said:

Dean Campbell is a natural footballer I really like.He is captain of Scotland under 19s who beat a strong highly rated Germany 1-0 at Firhill,He will make it as a player,it just might not be with Aberdeen.

Agree mate.  I don't think McInnes style suits him personally.  I also have a suspicion McInnes won't be here next season.  So a short loan, somewhere he'll play week in, week out, could be good for him.  Hopefully come back in the summer and start again under a new boss!

Agree wholeheartedly sonoftherock .Derek McInnes days are numbered.A good win on Saturday just when he needed it prolongs the agony of  Derek McInnes' boring,staid,safety first,take the ball into the corners football !I find it very patronizing and insincere the way he speaks about  Dean Campbell as the poster boy of the youth Academy,then hardly ever gives Dean a game.

McGeouch and Ojo are out of contract in 18 months. 

Get him out on loan till the end of the season and the first half of next season. Then bring him back and let him challenge those 2 for a starting spot (Ferguson will surely have been sold by then, so one of them is likely to be starting week in, week out) 

Hopefully he wlll enable us to let both Ojo and McGeouch leave in the summer, saving a wheen in wages.

• Upvote 1

Campbell seems to play within himself at times, he looks like he could be a player but needs to believe in himself a bit more. He plays like he is scared to make mistakes and tends to take the easy option. He needs to start believing in his ability and showing some balls. Just look at a similar aged Ferguson who puts himself about and looks a lot more confident on and off the ball.