Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

McGeouch return

52 minutes ago, RedRichard said:

what's folks thinking on how his return can improve the team?

Alongside Mcrorie, freeing up Ferguson for a more forward role, or what?

think we have missed him, on the  balance of things. 

Not sure you can miss what you’ve never really had. 

Decent enough player but too similar to McRorie and Campbell 

1 hour ago, RedRichard said:

He's good on the ball. He's capable of taking the ball from the defenders and trying to link play. Ferguson tries this but he's better further up the pitch. Massive upgrade on Ojo but then again so would I be.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RedRichard said:

Like a more creative McCrorie. 

Strong, great control, can dribble and pass... and he looks like a troll... perfect combination for a midfielder, a bit of everything. 

Hopefully not too much like McCrorie, because I'd like to see both of them in the middle of the park.

5 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

That’s a horrendous shout. 

The second bit I’ll add. He was pretty good.

Some folk just have it in for Campbell and make him the whipping boy every game. 

Why a 19 year old is the recipient of their wrath when there are plenty other more glaring inadequecies on display every week I'll never know. 

30 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Some folk just have it in for Campbell and make him the whipping boy every game. 

Why a 19 year old is the recipient of their wrath when there are plenty other more glaring inadequecies on display every week I'll never know. 

He hardly lost the ball and cut out a heap of attacks second half. Not sure what folk expect from him. He was miles better than most.

53 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

22 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

He hardly lost the ball and cut out a heap of attacks second half. Not sure what folk expect from him. He was miles better than most.

Aberdonians who play have always had people on their case since I started going to games. Ernie Winchester was the first and Campbell is the latest and I have no idea why Campbell gets as much grief because there’s a decent player there, still learning his trade and will keep improving. 

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Thing is with a player of Campbells role and style, if we're playing well he will look like he's comfortable and assured, but if we're huffing and puffing and not winning, it will appear to some people that he isn't contributing anything positive. 

8 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Probably the same zoomers who rate Taylor.

8 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I posted twice for some reason, no idea how 

On 29/01/2021 at 10:12 AM, Tommy said:

Aberdonians who play have always had people on their case since I started going to games. Ernie Winchester was the first and Campbell is the latest and I have no idea why Campbell gets as much grief because there’s a decent player there, still learning his trade and will keep improving. 

Well said.

On 28/01/2021 at 11:12 PM, Tommy said:

This. He's 19 and needs a run of games to get going. Yes a bit frustrating with the sideways passing, but he needs the encouragement of the manager and the movement of his teammates to make him make those forward passes. I think he'd benefit from a new AFC manager.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Interesting comments from Marvin Bartley on Open Goal the other day.  Said McGeouch was by far the best player at the club, when he was at Hibs.  Rated him higher than John McGinn - reckoned McGeouch just lacked the same physicality and durability - said even then he was constantly getting injured.

I thought in his last season at Hibs he was almost the best player in Scotland.

For some reason it's never happened for him before or after that. One season wonder.

I don't want to write him off yet and having been with Brown at Celtic I would presume he'll get a chance in pre season?

Choosing Sunderland over Hibs and Aberdeen was a massively stupid decision by him and his agent. It's cost him his career to the extent it's possible he's in the scottish championship in the next year or two

3 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I thought in his last season at Hibs he was almost the best player in Scotland.

For some reason it's never happened for him before or after that. One season wonder.

I don't want to write him off yet and having been with Brown at Celtic I would presume he'll get a chance in pre season?

Choosing Sunderland over Hibs and Aberdeen was a massively stupid decision by him and his agent. It's cost him his career to the extent it's possible he's in the scottish championship in the next year or two

He's made of glass and gets injured all the time.  It wouldn't have made a difference.  He'd have failed at Aberdeen too, because he couldn't get himself on the pitch.  At least he got himself a decent pay-day at Sunderland.

Just now, Sonoftherock said:

He's made of glass and gets injured all the time.  It wouldn't have made a difference.  He'd have failed at Aberdeen too, because he couldn't get himself on the pitch.  At least he got himself a decent pay-day at Sunderland.

Easy to say that with hindsight but I think McInnes could have got a tune out of him. Things might have been different for McGeouch and Aberdeen. He was the number one target that summer.

Football is a short career, McGeouch himself knows he has struggled with injuries practically for the whole of his career. Both Hibs and ourselves offered to make him the highest paid players at both clubs at the time but Sunderland gave him £8k/week which over the length of a 3 year contract meant earning near £500k more than he would have with us or staying at Hibs. 

He's not an elite player so it really wasn't a difficult decision for him to make at at all. He will retire comfortably off but not a multi millionaire.

In 16 months with us, he's barely been much more than a bit-part player. Unsurprisingly, mainly through a string of niggling injuries but even when he has been fit he hasn't really been able to tie down a permanent spot in the side and signing McCrorie 6 months after bringing him in only exacerbated that. And of course Brown will shunt him even further down the pecking order. It would probably be best for both parties if he could fix himself up with a new club in the summer but it's difficult to see anyone wanting him on the wages we are shelling out on top of his fitness issues