5 hours ago, shooftahmooftah said:

So according to burns glass isn’t interested in griffiths.    Well come next season when Griffiths is knocking them in for hibs you will wish you’d signed him Mr Tumbler. (  Glass ).    Right now Tumbler isn’t setting the heather on fire, with his Anderson Taylor new contract offers.    Who’s pulling his strings. ?????}.  

?

Glass certainly sounds convincing that the summer transfer window is going to be interesting.

He's certainly convincing me he's gonna bring in a couple of x factor signings and it's not gonna be Curtis Main, Jon Obika, Ryan Edmundson and Bruce Anderson as the strikers

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Chester Don said:

Agree fully. I’ve said before that having an opportunity to work with Alan Russell on a daily basis will be a significant pull for quality aspiring young strikers AND more established strikers known to Alan like Berahino. 

Would be very surprised if Berahino would join us, he would probably want much more than we could afford to pay

6 hours ago, torry_battery_ram said:

Would be very surprised if Berahino would join us, he would probably want much more than we could afford to pay

I doubt he's getting more in Belgium than we'd pay a first pick player.

However I dont see it happening either

2 hours ago, Torry Tosser said:

I've heard from two different sources that Portsmouth striker Jon Marquis being touted by Russell....Whether he knows him from working with him or not I wouldn't know...Just what Ive been told.?

Didn’t Pompey pay 1.5m for him not so long ago...

decent stats compared to the strikers we would normally sign. Just can’t imagine we could afford him especially if they go up to championship. 

7 minutes ago, Dad said:

He should be a championship cunt tbf Zeus son - Portsmouth made a cunt of it

I'd hope we going down a different route than signing folk from that league. Overhyped pish from premiership to the vanarama conference or whatever its called. He's hardly young een with sell on etc either. 

I doubt we're after him to be honest but if true and Russell has recommended him then fair enough. 

Marquis has a good record.

I'd rather we sign someone who has a record like him having banged in 10-25 goals every season for the last five years as opposed to Rhodes/Berahino/Griffiths who were million dollar strikers five years ago but have been dog shit for a few years. 

However Marquis is 29 and a first pick for his team. We can't justify a transfer fee for him.

3 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Aye. It was the same summer we went after numerous strikers; this guy, Liam Boyce, and ended up with Stockley, I think.

Or maybe I’ve got my summers mixed up.

Marquis was after Stockley.

We didn't end up with Stockley he signed a pre-contract, as did Myles Storey before the end of the previous season.

2 minutes ago, slippers said:

Wouldn’t be paying a substantial transfer fee for anyone unless a massive upside so we can sell on. He falls into the category of being too old as he would basically be 30 after his first season with us. 

Aye it's very hard for a club like us to justify the transfer fee for him.

A high transfer fee can be justified as 

1) the player is gonna play for us for many seasons in the first team squad e.g. Ross McCrorie

2) the player is deemed to have sell on value e.g. Ferguson or Hernandez (no laughing at the back).

3) the player is going to bring a huge x factor for us e.g. a well known player (Marquis is not)

Totally expect the Russell factor to attract at least a couple of good strikers in the summer. One proven and one with potential.

The Thumb will be the proven one, an absolute cert I would imagine with Brown on board.

Wrong thread but will be greatly assisted by the complete fannying about Tims are having trying to employ a manager on the minimum wage ?

44 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Marquis has a good record.

I'd rather we sign someone who has a record like him having banged in 10-25 goals every season for the last five years as opposed to Rhodes/Berahino/Griffiths who were million dollar strikers five years ago but have been dog shit for a few years. 

However Marquis is 29 and a first pick for his team. We can't justify a transfer fee for him.

How do you know what we can justify financially? 

12 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

How do you know what we can justify financially? 

Because that should be the way we look at things regardless whether we have £5M, zero or negative £5M.

You sign Ferguson's, McCrorie's, Cosgrove's, Hernandez's.

We don't go and pay fees for players at the end of their career when players like Berahino, Griffiths, Rhodes, Steven Fletcher or whichever hundreds of players ive never heard of are available on a free transfer.

You don't build a successful business by paying over £1m for a 30 year old striker from england league one. Which is a shocking standard, by the way, but thats another story. That's the level where Curtis Main is one of the first pick strikers in the league in the last 2-3 months.