Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

I did say Jutes was the best HOME game!  Tynecastle was ace and whilst I recall the bounce I don’t think the fatalism had quite kicked in then.  Bigger impact was probably to put the shiters up the jutes.  Honorable mention to the other home game (embarrassed to say I’ve forgotton the opposition killie?) maybe 7 games out where we did everything but score.  Lost but applauded off the park as I recall.

But the Shearer goal..... ❤️ 

14 hours ago, afc_blockhead said:

The mid 90s relegation escape was exciting.

The McGhee/Paterson/Skovdahl days down the bottom? Fucking depressing. 

McGhee era results below - 12 defeats , 1 draw and 1 win (against Hibs. Always our bitches!) in our relegation "fight" .  35 conceded / 10 scored (4 of them in 1 game against Hibs) / 0 clean sheets in 12 games too. Glorious days ? 

28 August 2010 Aberdeen 0 – 1 Kilmarnock showAberdeen
11 September 2010 Dundee United 3 – 1 Aberdeen showDundee
18 September 2010 Motherwell 1 – 1 Aberdeen showMotherwell
26 September 2010 Aberdeen 2 – 3 Rangers showAberdeen
16 October 2010 Aberdeen 0 – 1 Heart of Midlothian showAberdeen
29 October 2010 Aberdeen 4 – 2 Hibernian showAberdeen
30 October 2010 St Mirren 2 – 1 Aberdeen showPaisley
6 November 2010 Celtic 9 – 0 Aberdeen showGlasgow
13 November 2010 Rangers 2 – 0 Aberdeen showGlasgow
20 November 2010 Aberdeen 0 – 1 St Johnstone showAberdeen
27 November 2010 Kilmarnock 2 – 0 Aberdeen showKilmarnock
11 December 2010 Heart of Midlothian 5 – 0 Aberdeen show

CHrist he should have been sacked on 6th November at 5pm, how did he survive so many more terrible results!

14 hours ago, afc_blockhead said:

The mid 90s relegation escape was exciting.

The McGhee/Paterson/Skovdahl days down the bottom? Fucking depressing. 

McGhee era results below - 12 defeats , 1 draw and 1 win (against Hibs. Always our bitches!) in our relegation "fight" .  35 conceded / 10 scored (4 of them in 1 game against Hibs) / 0 clean sheets in 12 games too. Glorious days ? 

28 August 2010 Aberdeen 0 – 1 Kilmarnock showAberdeen
11 September 2010 Dundee United 3 – 1 Aberdeen showDundee
18 September 2010 Motherwell 1 – 1 Aberdeen showMotherwell
26 September 2010 Aberdeen 2 – 3 Rangers showAberdeen
16 October 2010 Aberdeen 0 – 1 Heart of Midlothian showAberdeen
29 October 2010 Aberdeen 4 – 2 Hibernian showAberdeen
30 October 2010 St Mirren 2 – 1 Aberdeen showPaisley
6 November 2010 Celtic 9 – 0 Aberdeen showGlasgow
13 November 2010 Rangers 2 – 0 Aberdeen showGlasgow
20 November 2010 Aberdeen 0 – 1 St Johnstone showAberdeen
27 November 2010 Kilmarnock 2 – 0 Aberdeen showKilmarnock
11 December 2010 Heart of Midlothian 5 – 0 Aberdeen show

Wasn't he sacked before the Hearts game? I have recollections of Simmy taking the team that day. I may have misremembered though. 

43 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Wasn't he sacked before the Hearts game? I have recollections of Simmy taking the team that day. I may have misremembered though. 

You are right. Simpson and Cooper I think led the team?

Brown and Knox were just meant to be watching from the stand that day but they came down to the dugout at 4 nil to try stop the collapse.

The results before that though .. appalling. 

On 12/9/2020 at 7:55 AM, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I did say Jutes was the best HOME game!  Tynecastle was ace and whilst I recall the bounce I don’t think the fatalism had quite kicked in then.  Bigger impact was probably to put the shiters up the jutes.  Honorable mention to the other home game (embarrassed to say I’ve forgotton the opposition killie?) maybe 7 games out where we did everything but score.  Lost but applauded off the park as I recall.

But the Shearer goal..... ❤️ 

Was Killie aye. Absolutely battered them but still lost. That was the turning point though. Wonderful run of games followed - some of the most enjoyable following the dons 

36 minutes ago, NEM said:

Was Killie aye. Absolutely battered them but still lost. That was the turning point though. Wonderful run of games followed - some of the most enjoyable following the dons 

For an excellent appraisal of that season, get a copy of TRF’s book, “Never again”.

I’d struggle to recall a time when support and club were so united. 

On 12/9/2020 at 7:15 PM, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Incorrect.

The cunt should’ve been sacked during his opening interview at Pittodrie when he suggested the delay in him joining Aberdeen was because he was waiting on the Tim job.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/aberdeen-job-is-a-dream-but-celtic-were-1027140

And the former Wolves, Reading and Leicester boss said: "Aberdeen fans know that in Scottish football on a scale of one to three you have Rangers and Celtic and then Aberdeen comes in third. 

"I think that any player or manager has the right to want to play or manage at the best club possible. 

"I have looked at that opportunity, I didn't get that job but I then moved on to come to Aberdeen quickly with a total positive feeling and a total commitment. 

"The Celtic thing should not in any way undermine things - quite the opposite actually. Maybe Aberdeen fans should be thinking that they have a manager that was considered by Celtic." 

The greatest interview in dons history. And we all just accepted it. Weak.

55 minutes ago, Poodler said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/aberdeen-job-is-a-dream-but-celtic-were-1027140

And the former Wolves, Reading and Leicester boss said: "Aberdeen fans know that in Scottish football on a scale of one to three you have Rangers and Celtic and then Aberdeen comes in third. 

"I think that any player or manager has the right to want to play or manage at the best club possible. 

"I have looked at that opportunity, I didn't get that job but I then moved on to come to Aberdeen quickly with a total positive feeling and a total commitment. 

"The Celtic thing should not in any way undermine things - quite the opposite actually. Maybe Aberdeen fans should be thinking that they have a manager that was considered by Celtic." 

Aye we should all be grateful that we got a manager who was beaten to the Celtic job by Tony Mowbray. I'll just repeat that.......TONY FUCKING MOWBRAY

45 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Complete embarrassment that interview. 

There's another one out there where he says he should be managing Real Madrid or Manchester United 

He said: “Losing in play-off games were the worst moments of my career. I lost narrowly in the last minute with Millwall against Birmingham in the play-off semi-final. That was painful.

“I lost with Wolves in the same circumstances to Crystal Palace. These were chances to go into the Premier League and they were life-changing games.

“That is the reason – and don’t misinterpret me here – why I’m managing Motherwell and not Liverpool.

“If I had won promotion on either of these occasions the chances are that’s the kind of place I would be.

“That’s the progression you need to make if you want to manage in the Premier League and I failed to make it so that’s why I feel unfulfilled.

“I’ve always been very much unfulfilled. I’m standing here having managed almost 900 games but I don’t feel as if I’ve been a success.

“I’ve not managed in the Premier League in the last 10 years which is what I set out to do, so therefore I still feel that I’ve got everything to prove and achieve.”

1 hour ago, Poodler said:

Should have been sacked immediately. Absolute cunt of a man.

42 minutes ago, Poodler said:

I just read it again and still in disbelief anyone would say anything like that in their opening statement. It just defies rational mind! 

It's actually great he had the audacity to say it.

Exactly, reading it again is like seeing it for the first time because it's that unbelievable. Pipping Ian Baraclough to the worst first interview in Scottish football; claimed he could win the league with Motherwell.

2 hours ago, Henry said:

He said: “Losing in play-off games were the worst moments of my career. I lost narrowly in the last minute with Millwall against Birmingham in the play-off semi-final. That was painful.

“I lost with Wolves in the same circumstances to Crystal Palace. These were chances to go into the Premier League and they were life-changing games.

“That is the reason – and don’t misinterpret me here – why I’m managing Motherwell and not Liverpool.

“If I had won promotion on either of these occasions the chances are that’s the kind of place I would be.

“That’s the progression you need to make if you want to manage in the Premier League and I failed to make it so that’s why I feel unfulfilled.

“I’ve always been very much unfulfilled. I’m standing here having managed almost 900 games but I don’t feel as if I’ve been a success.

“I’ve not managed in the Premier League in the last 10 years which is what I set out to do, so therefore I still feel that I’ve got everything to prove and achieve.”

I think that this was said at the press conference on a Friday, next day they lost 6-0 to Hearts.