Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

1 minute ago, afc_blockhead said:

Ok. 

But what does the next guy need to achieve to be "less average" than Mcinnes? 

Budgets will tighten all over but we are likely to still have the 3rd biggest.  So 3rd minimum or the new guy has failed? 

The main thing the next manager has to achieve is european group stage football.

top 100

the holy grail

2 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Did they spend a lot more than us on transfers and wages both those seasons? I think you know the answer  dont you. 

Dont hide behind irrelevance ?

Did they also spend as such in failed/shambles attempts to win championship? They were a complete mess up until this season for most part

Just now, fine-n-dandy said:

Did they also spend as such in failed/shambles attempts to win championship? They were a complete mess up until this season for most part

So we were expected to finish above them those 2 seasons and failure to do so would have been a massive fuck up? 

So those seasons were average too in your eyes.

So the only way he could have risen above average in those 2 seasons in your eyes would have been to win the league? 

Possibly this. Will mean having to finish 3rd /4thand win a few qualifiers. 

Basically league wise they need to at least match what Mcinnes has does in each season to date.

third place this season and third place next season is in the groups if one of the top two win the scottish cup

Just now, afc_blockhead said:

So we were expected to finish above them those 2 seasons and failure to do so would have been a massive fuck up? 

So those seasons were average too in your eyes.

So the only way he could have risen above average in those 2 seasons in your eyes would have been to win the league? 

Yes they were blatantly average (the first one especially) you do remember pretty much every side was beating the huns first season up? Second season they were a little better/more consistent but not by much. Our averageness was ample to better their shit ness

1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

No I didn’t. My edit was in

Ok just saw that.

So if Mcinnes sees out the season and sneaks 3rd hes good to stay as hes not underachieved? 

I guess the point is for all you think Mcinnes has been average at best, any replacement who finishes below 3rd is failing straight away. Fine if you stick to that and dont make excuses for any replacement who fails to achieve it.

By that logic, if thats the minimum the new guy has to split the old firm to overachieve? Correct? 

Avoiding the question. 

You know how things stand in Scottish football just now. So whats the next guys minimum targets for next season? 

It’s admiral blockhead, not many of us find this easy, but I think most would take 3rd or 4th if it was a competitive league and we were playing well. But the form for the last 16 games - especially against bottom 6 oppositions, the signings over the past 4 windows, the style of play, the formation not matching the players, the approach against the arse cheeks etc etc. I think, sadly, Derek has run out of ideas. I wish it wasn’t the case, but genuinely, we’re looking at 2 4th place finishes and we’re on course for being 5th looking at the fixtures vs form. 

Just now, afc_blockhead said:

Ok just saw that.

So if Mcinnes sees out the season and sneaks 3rd hes good to stay as hes not underachieved? 

I guess the point is for all you think Mcinnes has been average at best, any replacement who finishes below 3rd is failing straight away. Fine if you stick to that and dont make excuses for any replacement who fails to achieve it.

By that logic, if thats the minimum the new guy has to split the old firm to overachieve? Correct? 

If we get third this season then its fucking flags out for the group stage football. Its our biggest fuck up in 30s years. Far more than any domestic cup shock

Just now, fine-n-dandy said:

Yes they were blatantly average (the first one especially) you do remember pretty much every side was beating the huns first season up? Second season they were a little better/more consistent but not by much. Our averageness was ample to better their shit ness

This is where your argument falls down though. 

You counter every McInnes success by saying its down to someone else's failure. 

But when you lambast his failures you never recognise another club's success in your argument. 

You're too biased to be objective in this one. 

3 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

third place this season and third place next season is in the groups if one of the top two win the scottish cup

Fair enough.  But bar losing out on goal difference to a team having the best season theyve had in decades and finishing a couple of points behind a team in freefall in a shortened season Mcinnes has always done this. 

Im aware he didnt do it the last 2 seasons regardless of circumstances, fair enough. But 6 full seasons in 7 he did.

Next guy will have pressure on immediately

2 minutes ago, 1983 said:

It’s admiral blockhead, not many of us find this easy, but I think most would take 3rd or 4th if it was a competitive league and we were playing well. But the form for the last 16 games - especially against bottom 6 oppositions, the signings over the past 4 windows, the style of play, the formation not matching the players, the approach against the arse cheeks etc etc. I think, sadly, Derek has run out of ideas. I wish it wasn’t the case, but genuinely, we’re looking at 2 4th place finishes and we’re on course for being 5th looking at the fixtures vs form. 

I dont necessarily  disagree his time may now be ending. I do get that.

But retrospectively attacking what he has done on flimsy arguments doesnt work for me.

Also just pointing out that if the next guy doesnt massively improve the football quickly (to first 4/5 years of Mcinnes standard) or make sure they are solid in 3rd , by some peoples logic they will already have failed.

6 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I look at whole picture without ignorance to the competition we face

but 3rd is a minimum always for us imo.

especially when looking at budgets. 
All round competition for 3rd is strengthening but that is still a very minimum target for Aberdeen & less is complete failure 

Even if he were to finish third this season, it is the manner in which he is doing it. Hibs have not been good this season and Celtic have been terrible and were behind both. It is the exact same as Lennons situation, if he was only say 4/5 points behind the Huns and eventually lost the league he would definitely not be getting anywhere near the stick he is getting now as the Huns haven't lost one game. If Mcinnes or a new manager had us playing well this season and we were closer to 2nd and comfortably above hibs then  it wouldn't even be considered to get rid of him. He has finished below Killie and Motherwell in the last two seasons and will now likely finish below a poor Hibs team. The style of football is eye bleeding and a lot of the recruitment has been woeful. 

Starting to hear a lot of plaudits from media etc that he has done well making the club money. It has taken him 7/8 years to get a decent fee for a player and I'm confident if you look at wages and fees on a lot of the crap he has wasted it on over those 8 years then it will outweigh 4/5 million pounds. 

All that a side he assembled some really good teams for us and gave us some really good days but he is gradually putting us backwards and managers have a shelf life at a club now, need a new voice, new input in the club from top to bottom and try move forward. Am I confident the board will get it right, absolutely not.  

• Downvote 1

Fair enough.  But bar losing out on goal difference to a team having the best season theyve had in decades and finishing a couple of points behind a team in freefall in a shortened season Mcinnes has always done this. 

Im aware he didnt do it the last 2 seasons regardless of circumstances, fair enough. But 6 full seasons in 7 he did.

Next guy will have pressure on immediately

Personally I feel we have to gamble on the next 11 games. Full stop. End of. It's doesn't really go beyond that and Derek going for fucking this up for us.

It's been fairly clear for weeks the scottish cup wouldnt be completed. it was all about that top 3 finish. He's fucked it

1 minute ago, Tord31 said:

Personally I feel we have to gamble on the next 11 games. Full stop. End of. It's doesn't really go beyond that and Derek going for fucking this up for us.

It's been fairly clear for weeks the scottish cup wouldnt be completed. it was all about that top 3 finish. He's fucked it

You might be right. As i say im not blind to the fact its stalled now and hes maybe reached the end. 

But he has been a good manager for us, clearly, and Cormack has to get the next one right.

It’s not just about league position though is it?

We’d like a chance to win a cup, we’d like a European adventure, we’d like just to let off the shackles a bit. The football is unadventurous, players devoid of confidence, shape of the team does not suit the players we have.

It’s all just got too samey finishing 3rd or 4th every year, or HAVING to finish 3rd or 4th & having to do it by being hard to beat rather than being bold & entertaining. We don’t win cups because we are not cavalier enough under McInnes to do it. We do what’s required to get to semis & finals but extremely rarely punch above our weight when we’re the underdogs.

You might be right. As i say im not blind to the fact its stalled now and hes maybe reached the end. 

But he has been a good manager for us, clearly, and Cormack has to get the next one right.

A fantastic manager. 2nd x 4 is very decent and wont be repeated.

• Dildo 1
8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

This is where your argument falls down though. 

You counter every McInnes success by saying its down to someone else's failure. 

But when you lambast his failures you never recognise another club's success in your argument. 

You're too biased to be objective in this one. 

The defence of Mcinnes seems to always be about league placings. The biggest failing of Mcinnes especially in the last few Years is the horrific brand of football and the lack of entertainment this has produced.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

3rd is beyond Mcinnes or any other manager this season. Even with new manager bounce.

next season 3rd is the absolute minimum we should be reaching again otherwise it’s a failure 

I also think 3rd is beyond us and thats why he goes. He's fucked it.

and by the way losing 2-0 at easter road is not a sackable offence. 

the shit football is not a sackable offence.

his results since january 2020, and particularly since december 2020, are.

Just now, Sheepo said:

The defence of Mcinnes seems to always be about league placings. The biggest failing of Mcinnes especially in the last few Years is the horrific brand of football and the lack of entertainment this has produced.

Indeed.

nothing of note really.

Especially in cups.

bland & average but we all rejoice because he was better than McGhee ?

1 minute ago, Tord31 said:

A fantastic manager. 2nd x 4 is very decent and wont be repeated.

Sevco, Hibs and Hearts being out of the league for varying portions of that run will also never be repeated. Including one season where all 3 of them were out of it together.

He's been a very good manager for the early period of his tenure but fantastic? No not in my book

4 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Agreed. 

Lets see how Cormack does at picking his replacement.

but that league placings has nothing to do with sacking mcinnes or appointing new manager.

New manager remit is

- target top 3 in league

- target hampden finals /wins

- qualify for group stages

if you fail to deliver on all of the objectives for more than 12 months then your fucking out

in reality its hampden appearances but i might get too many @'s if i write that. sssshhhhh

2 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I also think 3rd is beyond us and thats why he goes. He's fucked it.

and by the way losing 2-0 at easter road is not a sackable offence. 

the shit football is not a sackable offence.

his results since january 2020, and particularly since december 2020, are.

His win % is average to now absolute shite really. Especially when taken season by season & the relevant competition he’s faced. 

not just with Aberdeen either. 

very average with St’s

shite with Bristol 

average/minimal expected to then considerably shite with us