What’s the most ‘entertaining’ Dons game you’ve been to?

4 hours ago, Hazlehead Don said:

In no particular order, Ipswich UEFA Cup; Rangers Scottish Cup Final 82; Bayern and Waterschei CWC; Hibs 80, 5-0 at Easter Road to win the League; Dundee 88, I think it was Snelders League debut (realised we had signed a a terrific replacement for Leighton).

At all those games bar Easter road. Me and a couple of pals had just started going to away games '79/80 (fae Elgin) but as young teens,only allowed as far as Dundee.Still bugs me that we missed that one

Canna mind that Dundee game been particularly entertaining,but it was a cracking debut from Snelders.Think the Theo chant was started as early as then

4 hours ago, Ke1t said:

August 23rd 2003. 

Losing to Jimmy Calderwood's Land o the Giants' Dunfermline at Pittodrie, one of the Dunfermline players needs treatment behind our goal at the Dick End. 

Trainer sees to the injury, stands up, walks into the goalpost with his face. Cue the biggest cheer of the game. 

Great sporting moment., right there. 

Aside from that, the game vs Ujpest Dosza, Quarter Final of the Cup Winner's Cup, where we're 2-0 down from the first leg to the dirtiest fucking team outside of Rapid Vienna. Absolute animals. 

In the second leg we hammered their goal without a break, but the woodwork, the goalkeeper, and sheer bad luck made it seem like it was going to deny us a semi-final place.

Step forward Mark McGhee in one of the best individual performances you'll see from a player in an Aberdeen shirt. 

The entire team was brilliant, in truth. I'd have put money on us to beat any team in the world that night. 

Because so much emphasis is put on Gothenburg I think a lot of the younger supporters are unaware that if we hadn't lost in the fog against Porto we were only a game away from doing back to back Cup Winners Cups. But we did win the European Super cup that season against Hamburg the odd thing being that the cup had actually been changed to a shield which made the celebrations a bit tame. The strangest thing was that we played in white shirts in the 2nd leg at Pittodrie and Hamburg were all in red remember it had me and my dad very puzzled. Think we came to the conclusion that the club wanted to flog some of the away kits. 

8 hours ago, Cambridge Red said:

Because so much emphasis is put on Gothenburg I think a lot of the younger supporters are unaware that if we hadn't lost in the fog against Porto we were only a game away from doing back to back Cup Winners Cups. But we did win the European Super cup that season against Hamburg the odd thing being that the cup had actually been changed to a shield which made the celebrations a bit tame. The strangest thing was that we played in white shirts in the 2nd leg at Pittodrie and Hamburg were all in red remember it had me and my dad very puzzled. Think we came to the conclusion that the club wanted to flog some of the away kits. 

Fucking sure I remember.  Having been unable to go to Gothenburg the old man later admitted we were on for the final in 84.  Had that little Portuguese bastard not done us in the fog.  Wee poof.  Was it Ekstrom or was that the Gothenburg mob 2 or 3 years later?

9 hours ago, Laichomoray said:

At all those games bar Easter road. Me and a couple of pals had just started going to away games '79/80 (fae Elgin) but as young teens,only allowed as far as Dundee.Still bugs me that we missed that one

Canna mind that Dundee game been particularly entertaining,but it was a cracking debut from Snelders.Think the Theo chant was started as early as then

Aye Snelders league debut he was definitely our m.o.m, pretty turgid game for a league opener, Dundee took the lead in the first half iirc, and really were the better side throughout, Snelders keeping us in it with a string of saves and we eventually got an equaliser from the elephant man second half

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

I was at that one,  great support that night (3000 dons fans I think).  Probably the kick-start to a few good seasons under Mcinnes.  Seems like a long time ago now. 

Great support and performance.  It was that game that got us believing we had the makings of a good side for a change!

Traffic was horrendous getting there and we were 10 mins late in getting in.  Heard Shaughnessy had been sent off as we were walking up to the ground, almost turned round and went home ?

2 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Fucking sure I remember.  Having been unable to go to Gothenburg the old man later admitted we were on for the final in 84.  Had that little Portuguese bastard not done us in the fog.  Wee poof.  Was it Ekstrom or was that the Gothenburg mob 2 or 3 years later?

It was exactly the same for me. We were lucky enough to get tickets to all the home games up to the final but then I wasn't allowed to go cos I was in the middle of my O grade exams. If we had beaten Porto dad had promised to take me to Switzerland for the final ( v Juventus). Did see us beat the huns at hampden 10 days later but I was still sulking ?. Dad's workmate got me a CWC final programme but I think he must have been pished because it was made for the Real fans and is completely in Spanish ?. Was going to show you the programme but not sure how to attach pic ?

1 hour ago, Cambridge Red said:

It was exactly the same for me. We were lucky enough to get tickets to all the home games up to the final but then I wasn't allowed to go cos I was in the middle of my O grade exams. If we had beaten Porto dad had promised to take me to Switzerland for the final ( v Juventus). Did see us beat the huns at hampden 10 days later but I was still sulking ?. Dad's workmate got me a CWC final programme but I think he must have been pished because it was made for the Real fans and is completely in Spanish ?. Was going to show you the programme but not sure how to attach pic ?

Worse.  Hivs game 3 days later with all around us telling us how magical it had been.  ? 

still papped them for 4 or 5 as I recall but obviously could only watch on as Utd knicked it.

Up there for most exciting 35 minutes of football :

Morton 3 - Aberdeen 7 in the League Cup in 1996.

80 mins 2 up and cruising.

85 mins 1-2 meh

90 mins 2-2 ffs!

92 mins 3-2 NO FUCKING WAY!

94 mins PENALTY (dodgy one) scored to make it 3-3.

Think it was Deano who got all 4 in extra time. 

Aside from that, all the others mentioned with Ibrox 85 being the best. Before, after and during. There were no huns left in the ground for the last half hour because they'd all decided to come round to the Broomloan for full time. 

2 hours ago, Cambridge Red said:

Every single part of the above story applied to me also. *

Even the Spanish programme, tho I did get one in English too.

The O Grade exam for me was Chemistry. On the day of the final.

Only exam I've failed in my entire puff. Wonder why? :banghead: 

^^^ Nae that I gave a fuck.

*Was booked onto St Clair ferry with Da and his pals.

Unbooked once my Ma took a mentaller about missing a  meaningless exam.

Da's exact words >>>

"Will  tak you to the next Euro final, next year".

Was being serious as well. ?

How expectations have changed... ?

48 minutes ago, wonkyred said:

85 mins 1-2 meh

90 mins 2-2 ffs!

Aside from that, all the others mentioned with Ibrox 85 being the best. Before, after and during. There were no huns left in the ground for the last half hour because they'd all decided to come round to the Broomloan for full time. 

If I mind right dodds Dived to win us a very dodgy penalty that night.

51 minutes ago, wonkyred said:

85 mins 1-2 meh

90 mins 2-2 ffs!

I remember running at the fence that separated the fans each time Aberdeen scored. What drama that night was. 

1 minute ago, StandFree1982 said:

The QotS semi final game would have been enjoyable if we actually won it.  Went from "that was an entertaining, end to end game" to "FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING CUNTS" 

The game we do not speak of

I think it was about the 93rd minute by the time I actually thought holy shit we are actually going to lose this game. The whole time I thought we'd get back in it and go on to win it

1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

The game we do not speak of

I think it was about the 93rd minute by the time I actually thought holy shit we are actually going to lose this game. The whole time I thought we'd get back in it and go on to win it

Yeha same. Everytime we scored I thought "this is it. We'll go on and win it now." then they fucking went back and scored.

Anyways, let's never mention it again. 

7 minutes ago, Millertime said:

"How good were we the night!"

Was that after the 7-0?

I miss that mcinnes, the swaggering one

He looks broken now

Wasn't long after the 7-0 humping of Dundee.

We were superb from late December 2016 until May 2017.  Been steadily downhill since