Next Season's Manager

Who should be in charge of Dons when we start next season?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be in charge of Dons when we start next season?

25 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

No idea who Jim Gannon is.

How about Frank Cannon?

Frank Carson? Cannon & Ball?

Zoe Ball? Jonny Ball?

This is easy.

Basically anyone who isn’t called Derek McInnes? 

Exactly. I wanted Paul Hartley a few seasons and it seemed like he wasnt doing well enough.

Now he's another who would improve us

You can tell by the tone of his interviews now DM doesn't want to be here. He's done and he knows it. Problem is he isn't resigning and kissing goodbye to his pay off and DC doesn't seem too keen on paying him off during a pandemic when cash is so tight. They'll limp through to the summer and then Cormack is going to do the sums. What's the cost of losing 5k season ticket holders, plus pissed off DNAs and general all round lower gates next season v the cost of binning him.

While I would like to see McInnes gone,  I think Cormack and the the board are a bunch of spineless prices and he'll start next season. 

The one thing that gives give me hope he's  gone is how quiet things are around pre contracts etc. Massive rebuild still in the summer without even a hint of anyone coming in. 

Isn't it fucking brilliant how the board are making the same mistake that they did with Jimmy. We know he's done, but they're going to wait until the end of the season, despite the fact that the squad needs to be rebuilt and this should be being worked on by the new manager NOW.

It'll then take a wee while to get a new man in.  By which point we'll be scrambling about trying to assess whether or not to sign Jerel Ifil.  I hope we've at least had the good sense to re-register Derek Young so he can fill in at right back. 

2 hours ago, CalgaryDon said:

I think McInnes does need replaced. Theres just no one available (at the moment) that I'd really want to replace him. McInnes' is the best manager I've seen while supporting Aberdeen so it'll be sad to see him leave. After yesterday's draw with Hamilton I believe it would be worthwhile changing manager now in order to get the team ready for next season. Jim Goodwin could be a interesting/decent appointment. He's only 39 and has done very well at Alloa and St Mirren. Presently the best young manager in Scotland.

Calum Davidson is more successful than Jim Goodwin ?

2 hours ago, CalgaryDon said:

I think McInnes does need replaced. Theres just no one available (at the moment) that I'd really want to replace him. McInnes' is the best manager I've seen while supporting Aberdeen so it'll be sad to see him leave. After yesterday's draw with Hamilton I believe it would be worthwhile changing manager now in order to get the team ready for next season. Jim Goodwin could be a interesting/decent appointment. He's only 39 and has done very well at Alloa and St Mirren. Presently the best young manager in Scotland.

The Goodwin ship has sailed I'm afraid.

Cormack might just about be able to swallow paying McInnes off in the summer. (and Docherty as well, probably Sheerin and Robson too)

He won't be paying St Mirren the compo they would be due on top......they only handed Goodwin a new 3 and a bit year contract a few weeks back making him, in Tony Fitzpatrick's words "the highest paid manager in St Mirren's history." We would have to cough up the full value of the remainder of that contract plus a compensatory fee on top to bring Goodwin in. Call it a nice round million to add to the million it would cost to bin DM/Doc in the summer.

Our next manager will either be a free agent already or entering the final 3 months or so of his contract wherever he is now

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, TynesideDon said:

You can tell by the tone of his interviews now DM doesn't want to be here. He's done and he knows it. Problem is he isn't resigning and kissing goodbye to his pay off and DC doesn't seem too keen on paying him off during a pandemic when cash is so tight. They'll limp through to the summer and then Cormack is going to do the sums. What's the cost of losing 5k season ticket holders, plus pissed off DNAs and general all round lower gates next season v the cost of binning him.

where do you get 5k season tickets from? Weve got 7800 and plenty would renew even if we lost the last 7 matches of the season.

Are you including the 2k we already lost since covid started? I dont think they are 'available' now for us to lose

35 minutes ago, Donmacca said:

While I would like to see McInnes gone,  I think Cormack and the the board are a bunch of spineless prices and he'll start next season. 

The one thing that gives give me hope he's  gone is how quiet things are around pre contracts etc. Massive rebuild still in the summer without even a hint of anyone coming in. 

I suspect what’s happened is Cormack wanted rid along with US investors, but the local boys couldn’t support it, so they reluctantly agreed to review at the end of the season. If Cormack binned him after Hibs without the full support of the board then he’d be creating a lot of pressure for himself without ever being able to prove that Mcinnes couldn’t have turned it around.

Now it’s looking like Cormack will have the full support and those local boys will likely have their tail between their legs.

Mcinnes will definitely be gone in my opinion, purely because of money. DC needs to do some pretty heavy marketing for season ticket sales and the best way to do that would be a new manager.

We need to back up our pish and wind vision.

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Would Calum Davidson actually do any worse than the current version of Derek McInnes? 

I don't think he would.  McInnes has given up the ghost. 

I doubt Davidson would come, but of course, it would be generally easy for any new manager to outperform our current form.

2 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

where do you get 5k season tickets from? Weve got 7800 and plenty would renew even if we lost the last 7 matches of the season.

Are you including the 2k we already lost since covid started? I dont think they are 'available' now for us to lose

It pains me to say, but I’m now in the camp of seriously considering binning our ST’s and DNA until there is a change.

I used to back McInnes and the consistency he brought to the club, yet despite probably gaining access to Europe again, our style of football is definitely physically and mentally draining to watch.

The pandemic and not being able to go to Pittodrie is probably also a factor., but I just can’t see any signs that McInnes can turn this around. 
We have regressed, of that there is no doubt.

Grassroots football offers more footballing entertainment but that’s binned at the moment as well.

2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

I doubt Davidson would come, but of course, it would be generally easy for any new manager to outperform our current form.

Why would he not come, out of interest? 

After a difficult start he's got them playing some decent stuff and has picked up a trophy. 

Definitely one to at least keep an eye on.   A lot of folk are snobby on here about future managers but Billy McNeill came from Clyde, Fergie had just been sacked from St Mirren etc etc.  

And even McInnes himself had just been sacked at Bristol City after a promotion and a lower mid table finish at St Johnstone.  Hardly earth shattering stuff. 

4 minutes ago, Millertime said:

I have without doubt contributed and am contributing more than you wee sacs 

Also, I've had a season ticket 

No you’re not.

You disclosed before what you contribute and it was a fraction of what others are.

I hugely doubt your claims are indeed fact as well.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

After a difficult start he's got them playing some decent stuff and has picked up a trophy. 

Definitely one to at least keep an eye on.   A lot of folk are snobby on here about future managers but Billy McNeill came from Clyde, Fergie had just been sacked from St Mirren etc etc.  

And even McInnes himself had just been sacked at Bristol City after a promotion and a lower mid table finish at St Johnstone.  Hardly earth shattering stuff. 

Just a gut feel.

He’s relatively new into management and at the club he has such affection for.

‘I merely feel he would have more loyalty to St Johnstone right now than risk coming here.

4 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

It pains me to say, but I’m now in the camp of seriously considering binning our ST’s and DNA until there is a change.

I used to back McInnes and the consistency he brought to the club, yet despite probably gaining access to Europe again, our style of football is definitely physically and mentally draining to watch.

The pandemic and not being able to go to Pittodrie is probably also a factor., but I just can’t see any signs that McInnes can turn this around. 
We have regressed, of that there is no doubt.

Grassroots football offers more footballing entertainment but that’s binned at the moment as well.

Cancelled DNA over a month ago. Lassie on the phone didn't even seem surprised when I said I'm not signing up again until DM is gone. Guess I wasn't the first person to say that to her 

6 minutes ago, Millertime said:

1) your

B) you are on my blacklist,  but I chose to view this post

What's difficult to understand about that?

History and experience have shown that you are not a man of your word and thus extremely unreliable.

How was the scenes outside Ibrokes yesterday? You would have enjoyed the premature party 

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Id argue it's a moot point. We won't be moving for Davidson to replace McInnes...

23 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

He will come a bit cheaper than Goodwin as it stands, although I'm sure St J will already be working on offering him a new, better contract precisely to keep him out of the reach ( without paying hefty compensation) of clubs like us or ambitious EFL 1 clubs.

But there's no doubt he would come to us, regardless. We could pay double whatever St J will offer him in any new contract and still make ourselves a massive saving on what we are paying McInnes. And he'd get a playing budget with us he could only ever dream about with Saints.

2 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Because it's Callum Davidson 

And that's a reason not to interview him? 

I'm not suggesting that he is the man for the job but why would you not at least talk to someone who is making a name for himself in the same division? 

McInnes hardly had a great reputation when we interviewed and appointed him. 

And that's a reason not to interview him? 

I'm not suggesting that he is the man for the job but why would you not at least talk to someone who is making a name for himself in the same division? 

McInnes hardly had a great reputation when we interviewed and appointed him. 

Yes. It is. 

if this is the standard of manager we're looking at, we'd be as well packing up and calling it a day. 

Just now, Millertime said:

It's early days though

People were touting martindale a few weeks back and look how he is doing now

And if people are irked by mcinnes accent then I would hate to see their views on martindales!

Totally agree it's early days.  And I'm not pushing him for the job. 

But there's no harm in interviewing a range of candidates. 

Totally agree it's early days.  And I'm not pushing him for the job. 

But there's no harm in interviewing a range of candidates. 

How do you think that would leave him with st johnstone and their fans? Just popping up for a chat? Ach you didn't get it. No bother 

1 minute ago, DD1903 said:

Yes. It is. 

if this is the standard of manager we're looking at, we'd be as well packing up and calling it a day. 

And we normally get our managers from where exactly? 

The only one who had managed at a club bigger than ours before coming here was probably Ebbe. 

Maybe we shouldn't have signed Lewis Ferguson as he had hardly any experience and was only playing at Hamilton. 

I'm not pushing Davidson for the job.  I'm only saying you need to keep your eyes open.