Next Season's Manager

Who should be in charge of Dons when we start next season?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be in charge of Dons when we start next season?

4 minutes ago, The Red Express said:

One of the better decisions we made when Brown was retiring was giving McInnes the split to figure out the squad etc. We have missed that boat now I imagine.

The whole "but who would you replace him with" argument is annoying. There is hundreds of coaches/managers out there. 

Those still pedalling the “who could do better” line are an embarrassment.

Who could do better than 1 goal in 9 games and 2 wins in 13...who could do worse? Even McGhee never presided over a run this bad. And with such an abysmal style of play. 

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

And we normally get our managers from where exactly? 

The only one who had managed at a club bigger than ours before coming here was probably Ebbe. 

Maybe we shouldn't have signed Lewis Ferguson as he had hardly any experience and was only playing at Hamilton. 

I'm not pushing Davidson for the job.  I'm only saying you need to keep your eyes open. 

What's a player's history got to do with a manager appointment !? Lolz

I don't rate him. It's that simple. He's a middle of the road (at best), manager. The other week folk were screaming for martindale. Now you mention Davidson. Flavour of the month 

Just now, DD1903 said:

I don't rate him. It's that simple. He's a middle of the road (at best), manager. The other week folk were screaming for martindale. Now you mention Davidson. Flavour of the month 

I'm not pushing Davidson for the job. 

But just like you keep an eye on young players  you need to do the same with young managers.  Whether it's Davidson or anyone else. 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I'm not pushing Davidson for the job. 

But just like you keep an eye on young players  you need to do the same with young managers.  Whether it's Davidson or anyone else. 

Correct.

FWIW I don't think he will be the guy that replaces McInnes. But I'd have absolutely no problem if the club at least wanted to interview him. 

46 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

where do you get 5k season tickets from? Weve got 7800 and plenty would renew even if we lost the last 7 matches of the season.

Are you including the 2k we already lost since covid started? I dont think they are 'available' now for us to lose

Pre COVID we were on about 10k season tickets I think. We lost a couple of thousand as people didn't want to pay for a season ticket to watch the matches streamed. However they would have been expected to return next season assuming fans are allowed back in. A good season would have helped with that but it's been so dull and boring there's a good chance a lot of them won't bother and they'll also lose a lot of good will from supporters who paid up this season as more of a gesture, a donation if you like should DM still be manager. So from 10k ST holders this time last year it's quite possible that could be halved. I've had mine years but I'm not forking out £500 for me and the bairn because it's so boring. He's losing interest and even though we have the match on TV we're barely watching it at the minute. Results aren't even the main issue for me. I sat through the Ebbe era when we were at our lowest and quite enjoyed the football as it was a decent watch with plenty of goals (even if a lot of them were in our net) although the results were admittedly crap. 

It's an expensive game these days, £25-£30 on the gate. £400 for a Season ticket. It's not like the olden days! When they're asking people to fork out that sort of cash the minimum they need to be providing in return is some sort of entertainment value regardless of results. When the entertainment value drops to virtually zero people will rightly think twice about parking with their hard earned cash. It's just common sense really, which is why I expect a huge drop off next season. Suppose time will tell.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Correct.

FWIW I don't think he will be the guy that replaces McInnes. But I'd have absolutely no problem if the club at least wanted to interview him. 

Clubs absolutely need to scout up and coming managers just the same as they do players. Waiting til your current guy is out of the door before identifying people who could succeed him is poor leadership. 

And its not just clubs like us that do it or should do it. 

Take the case of Julian Nagelsmann. Was 30 and manager of Hoffenheim when Real Madrid came calling in 2019 looking for a replacement for Zidane. He spoke to them but felt he wasn't ready and eventually went to Leipzig instead but Real Madrid and others are still interested. 

Before anyone starts I'm not comparing us to Real Madrid (we have a soul that their money can't buy) but it's all relative.  We need to be scouting young managers who are in our catchment group because with the right recruitment you just might get the right guy on the way up at the right time before it's too late and you can't afford him any more. 

20 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Clubs absolutely need to scout up and coming managers just the same as they do players. Waiting til your current guy is out of the door before identifying people who could succeed him is poor leadership. 

And its not just clubs like us that do it or should do it. 

Take the case of Julian Nagelsmann. Was 30 and manager of Hoffenheim when Real Madrid came calling in 2019 looking for a replacement for Zidane. He spoke to them but felt he wasn't ready and eventually went to Leipzig instead but Real Madrid and others are still interested. 

Before anyone starts I'm not comparing us to Real Madrid (we have a soul that their money can't buy) but it's all relative.  We need to be scouting young managers who are in our catchment group because with the right recruitment you just might get the right guy on the way up at the right time before it's too late and you can't afford him any more. 

Exactly this. Even the big clubs sometimes don't get the appointment right but we definitely need to be thinking outside the box. The guy Potter at Brighton is another example of someone we maybe could of got from Sweden but by time he joins Swansea he's out the question. I really hope we go for someone with absolute no link to any Scottish club.

1 hour ago, DD1903 said:

Don’t remember anyone actually wanting Martindale for us, let alone screaming for him. I think you are just making that up like a shite politician really.

But as a wee side note & nothing to do with Martindale or Goodwin etc. (who I would happily have had us take a chance on when he would have been basically free) but Alex Ferguson was once upon a time what you could have called ‘flavor of the month’ 

1 hour ago, TynesideDon said:

Pre COVID we were on about 10k season tickets I think. We lost a couple of thousand as people didn't want to pay for a season ticket to watch the matches streamed. However they would have been expected to return next season assuming fans are allowed back in. A good season would have helped with that but it's been so dull and boring there's a good chance a lot of them won't bother and they'll also lose a lot of good will from supporters who paid up this season as more of a gesture, a donation if you like should DM still be manager. So from 10k ST holders this time last year it's quite possible that could be halved. I've had mine years but I'm not forking out £500 for me and the bairn because it's so boring. He's losing interest and even though we have the match on TV we're barely watching it at the minute. Results aren't even the main issue for me. I sat through the Ebbe era when we were at our lowest and quite enjoyed the football as it was a decent watch with plenty of goals (even if a lot of them were in our net) although the results were admittedly crap. 

It's an expensive game these days, £25-£30 on the gate. £400 for a Season ticket. It's not like the olden days! When they're asking people to fork out that sort of cash the minimum they need to be providing in return is some sort of entertainment value regardless of results. When the entertainment value drops to virtually zero people will rightly think twice about parking with their hard earned cash. It's just common sense really, which is why I expect a huge drop off next season. Suppose time will tell.

Aye no worries. If you want to call that losing 5k season tickets fine but in reality its losing about 2000 season tickets max imo to feed in to the financial decision.

Because of Covid our season ticket holders this summer are not likely to increase.

5000 if mcinnes is manager

6000- 7000 if we change manager

its actually not as big a deal as we might think

1 minute ago, Tord31 said:

Aye no worries. If you want to call that losing 5k season tickets fine but in reality its losing about 2000 season tickets max imo to feed in to the financial decision.

Because of Covid our season ticket holders this summer are not likely to increase.

5000 if mcinnes is manager

6000- 7000 if we change manager

its actually not as big a deal as we might think

If we’re not back in the ground and McInnes is the manager, 5000 maybe be a tad over optimistic

Not just ST holders that will go though.

RedTv & DNA will also drop off.

My RedTv international was on auto renew but that will be canceled if he is still here in summer.

Not a great loss both to club or to me but the point is that why are people going to fund a manager they do not have any faith in. As far as entertainment, aggressive play rather than pish poor conservative & even defeatist play on many occasions 

If I still lived in Scotland there is no way in hell I would be renewing my full ST again nor even the 10 game package one (if they still do that). 
Amazed I have stuck by the club the past 4+ seasons since I have wanted him binned really as it was blatantly obvious he had reached a plateau even when the competition was pretty dire 

cunt is nothing more than an average manager at very best, even in Scottish football terms & proven below that elsewhere.

media darling though

30 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

If we’re not back in the ground and McInnes is the manager, 5000 maybe be a tad over optimistic

I think based on us getting 7800 this season thats my guess.

I think we'd still have fans if mcinnes was the manager until infinity. We just have some fans like that.

It's been me many years in the last 20 years

Just now, Millertime said:

Is the problem with that though not that if the new guy doesn't get a tune out if them, the optimism for NEW STs is lost

Normally you get a new manager bounce. 

I mean at this rate, the new guy would just have to get them scoring in at least every other game for there to be an improvement. I don't think anything will happen as long as third is there, which somehow, it still is. 

6 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Is the problem with that though not that if the new guy doesn't get a tune out if them, the optimism for NEW STs is lost

New season tickets would need to be marketed at the same time as the new manager is unveiled, along with making sure the decision to switch is made clear i.e. time to assess current squad and build in the summer - tie in a couple of decent signings and I think most would be optimistic

3 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Would Calum Davidson actually do any worse than the current version of Derek McInnes? 

I don't think he would.  McInnes has given up the ghost. 

That’s what I meant in the other post about Betwixt and between.  It’s piss easy to get someone in to “do no worse” than the present McInnes.  Personally I think it’s relatively easy to get someone in to do as well as McInnes should be doing.  It’s someone who would take just doing that as not good enough that we’re looking for.  In that respect I’m happy to wait for the right person.

Aye, but without going all Romanov about it.

1 minute ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

That’s what I meant in the other post about Betwixt and between.  It’s piss easy to get someone in to “do no worse” than the present McInnes.  Personally I think it’s relatively easy to get someone in to do as well as McInnes should be doing.  It’s someone who would take just doing that as not good enough that we’re looking for.  In that respect I’m happy to wait for the right person.

Well the Hibs game was a month ago. I seriously hope the powers at be at AFC have been using that month productively. 

2 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Exactly. Look at good will McInnes lost after speaking to the huns. It was the beginning of the end for him.

It's a hypothetical situation anyway but if St Johnstone didn't want him to leave, they only have to refuse him permission to be interviewed, as is their right having him under contract.

If they allowed him to speak to us, and he was subsequently unsuccessful, their fans.......all 2000 of them......might not be overly pleased but he has just won them their second major trophy in their entire existence so I don't think they'd be too angry for long.

Without change both season ticket no's and DNA contributions will decline.

Regardless of change post Covid, and with several businesses struggling, corporate will also decline.

Cormack will have to cut cloth without any further investments being made.

An expensive existing manager will surely form part of that cloth cutting ?

2 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I think based on us getting 7800 this season thats my guess.

I think we'd still have fans if mcinnes was the manager until infinity. We just have some fans like that.

It's been me many years in the last 20 years

It was me too.If there’s no change thenI won’t feel impelled to renew.

Only way I’d renew with McKinney still there is if we are back in the ground. At least then I will be able to vent my frustration

9 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

It was me too.If there’s no change thenI won’t feel impelled to renew.

Only way I’d renew with McKinney still there is if we are back in the ground. At least then I will be able to vent my frustration

Club will likely get 25% of my backing next season. I'll replace 2 x platinum season and 2 x dna with one cheaper red shed ticket. 

Guest milne_afc

They could appoint Bruce fucking Lee, the ambition to finish 3rd at best would still remain.

Aberdeen won’t challenge for the title of champions in the top division ever again.

Its time to join the Highland League.

1 hour ago, Woody21 said:

Without change both season ticket no's and DNA contributions will decline.

Regardless of change post Covid, and with several businesses struggling, corporate will also decline.

Cormack will have to cut cloth without any further investments being made.

An expensive existing manager will surely form part of that cloth cutting ?

If oil price continues it's current trajectory things could be looking up again in Aberdeen for a while.  Even been talk of $100 a barrel again......