Old firm B teams

44 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Haha exactly what I thought when I read that. 

And back onto the topic of B teams. I decided to look into John Collins example leagues and in Croatia, Dinamo Zagreb have won the league 14 times in the last 15 years!!! How on earth is that a model to aspire to?!!!! 

He's a fucking mongo.  Listen to Michael Stewart talk about his training sessions at hibs for further proof. Or just listen to him talk. 

John Collins DoF at AFC - give me a fucking break.

40 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Mmm.

What do you think the source of this bigotry comes from?

Mostly Catholic/Protestant. Having lived north of Aberdeen as a teen my family moved to the central belt. I didn't know anything about religion, didn't care, still don't. It starts in the schools, bussing Catholic kids to the other side of the county to go to 'their' school. In the 90's I worked for a large American company (3000+ employees). In the works restaurant I innocently asked why they served fish every Friday. You would think I had 2 heads they way they looked at me. There was one dept where all the guys just happened to be Celtic fans. A (female) engineer there told me that she used to work at Rolls Royce, the employment policy was Catholic/Protestant etc etc. Many years ago i worked beside a guy that was relaxed about admitting that he had a direct debit to the UVF. If Scotland was independent I genuinely fear that we would become like Ulster. We are equally tribal. Apologies for the long reply.

23 minutes ago, adl333 said:

Mostly Catholic/Protestant. Having lived north of Aberdeen as a teen my family moved to the central belt. I didn't know anything about religion, didn't care, still don't. It starts in the schools, bussing Catholic kids to the other side of the county to go to 'their' school. In the 90's I worked for a large American company (3000+ employees). In the works restaurant I innocently asked why they served fish every Friday. You would think I had 2 heads they way they looked at me. There was one dept where all the guys just happened to be Celtic fans. A (female) engineer there told me that she used to work at Rolls Royce, the employment policy was Catholic/Protestant etc etc. Many years ago i worked beside a guy that was relaxed about admitting that he had a direct debit to the UVF. If Scotland was independent I genuinely fear that we would become like Ulster. We are equally tribal. Apologies for the long reply.

I’d say it’s more people in the north still have Pictish blood in us that’s why we don’t have a crap about this sectarian nonsense. When I lived in Edinburgh for uni people couldn’t believe the stuff I’d tell them about how the old firm fans up here wouldn’t give a fuck about the sectarian element of their fans  

31 minutes ago, adl333 said:

If you wanna support the UK that's fine, but citing one of the biggest problems created by English Imperialism as a reason for sticking with English Imperialism is bizarre. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
11 hours ago, thurso said:

I’d say it’s more people in the north still have Pictish blood in us that’s why we don’t have a crap about this sectarian nonsense. When I lived in Edinburgh for uni people couldn’t believe the stuff I’d tell them about how the old firm fans up here wouldn’t give a fuck about the sectarian element of their fans  

Not sure its anything to do with Pictish blood.

Theres a large concentration of catholics on the West Coast/Central Belt, more than anywhere else. This caused a concern amongst the natives about jobs/housing and the resentment and anti-catholic stuff began. 

Nobody up here took a moral stance to ‘standfree’ from it. The most ridiculous fucking nonsense ive ever heard. There just wasnt the incomers like there was on the central belt, let alone catholic ones to warrant any divide. 

1 hour ago, Simply Red said:

Not sure its anything to do with Pictish blood.

Theres a large concentration of catholics on the West Coast/Central Belt, more than anywhere else. This caused a concern amongst the natives about jobs/housing and the resentment and anti-catholic stuff began. 

Nobody up here took a moral stance to ‘standfree’ from it. The most ridiculous fucking nonsense ive ever heard. There just wasnt the incomers like there was on the central belt, let alone catholic ones to warrant any divide. 

There was certainly the element of the traditional resentment towards migrants who are perceived to be "taking jobs" etc, that is true.

in the 1920s, It was fueled by the (presbyterian) Church of Scotland which issued official racist documents against Irish people, ("the menace of the irish race to our scottish nationality") portraying them as an inferior race, a malign influence in society and calling for them to be deported etc. 

Of course (at the time) they already had issues with Catholicism in general, which protestants naturally had to portray as being somehow problematic, otherwise what was the point of their own existence? (relations in the modern day are now much warmer and very friendly).

And while the reformation did not succeed in extinguishing Catholicism in Scotland, the remaining communities were mostly in the highlands and islands (the remoteness of these areas being part of the reason why they survived).  The arrival of large numbers of Irish Catholics in the central belt led to Catholicism suddenly being much more visible there.  And so Irish and Catholic became interchangeable terms, in a way they still are today (along with fenian, taig etc).

The effect of worries about migration, race baiting and religious prejudice led to events such as the 1935 anti-Catholic riots in Edinburgh, where a mob of 10,000 rampaged in the City.

For me a telling point was the fact that many "layalist"  / Orange Order ulstermen also migrated to Scotland.  These brought their existing bigotry and paranoid about Irishness and Catholics along with them and they mainly settled in the Central belt.  Hence why we have all these secret societies, lodges and parades, the issues surrounding sevco etc.

I think it was their influence which really galvanized prejudice and embedded it into the Scottish establishment.  The North East did not receive many of these "layalists".  People of the NE were probably more relaxed about Catholics in general, given they were nearer to remaining communities of Scottish Catholics.

None of the facts are unknown or mysterious and so it is a shame that Scotland has never managed to come to terms with this and instead treats it as a baffling two way problem, which it is not and has never been.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, adl333 said:

It certainly doesnt start in Schools, see my post above for the real reasons.

if schools were the problem, then we should see similar prejudice towards jews and episcopalians, both of who also have their own schools in Scotland (much fewer than Catholics, granted).  Or for that matter, private school pupils, or single=sex school pupils.

Ultimately, its a human right to educate your children in accordance with your own values, which is why the schools exists.  I am very glad of it these days as I have kids, and to see some of the stuff the SNP have introduced in state schools.

50% of Scottish Catholics marry people from other backgrounds and Scots Catholics are undoubtedly the most cosmopolitan group in society, having ancestry from Scotland, Ireland, wider UK, Italy, Poland, China and increasingly places like Nigeria.  No tribalism here.

You are right there is a tribal group in scotland - we all know who! - and they have difficulty changing because their entire identity is based on feeling superior to and attacking others, it has very little content of its own to celebrate.

Re the fish thing: people were maybe  just surprised you didn't know that, that traditionally Catholics didnt eat meat on Fridays (I don't).  You cant beat your fish and chips in the canteen on a Friday, one of our great contributions to human civilisation ?

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 10:15 PM, ericblack4boss said:

Good to see so many finally realising that Scottish football is rotten to the core, I've been totally disgusted, ashamed and affronted by the way that the game has allowed itself to be dragged in the gutter, I've been utterly bemused by what our game has become, 

This colts proposal which make no mistake will be voted through, is surely the final nail in the coffin. 

I have some sympathy with the league 1 and 2 clubs, theyve watched as the top division has gobbled up 86% of the sponsorship revenues,  as we the fans have accepted and allowed the clubs to do what the fuck they like, 

Aberdeen have been as complicent as the rest maybe more so  having had the chance to change the voting structure and have a representative on the spfl board, 

We have the opportunity again to let the people that govern our game to see our disgust by boycotting the game. 

But alas as always we will continue to do what we always do moan like fuck about but do little else, and the clubs fucking know it

On 3/16/2021 at 10:18 PM, Tord31 said:

im not so convinced it'll be voted through. i wouldnt 'make no mistake' quite yet

as long as the top flight clubs have a vote then i dont think its certain

Always listen to Tord. It's being binned (until the next time) as Aberdeen FC (and some diddy clubs) don't want it.

Hmmm this was discussed on Clyde 1 at the weekend. The narrative they were putting out is that it's being binned for this season and not getting voted on because it's now too late to take it forward. Consensus was it would get brought forward again early next season.

Naturally, their panel of "experts" are all for it. 

On 4/14/2021 at 9:39 AM, Ten Caat said:

Hmmm this was discussed on Clyde 1 at the weekend. The narrative they were putting out is that it's being binned for this season and not getting voted on because it's now too late to take it forward. Consensus was it would get brought forward again early next season.

Naturally, their panel of "experts" are all for it. 

I honestly do not see how it would benefit anyone other than the Glasgow two. What were the “experts” saying? Did they have any credible reasons for it?

3 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

I honestly do not see how it would benefit anyone other than the Glasgow two. What were the “experts” saying? Did they have any credible reasons for it?

"Developing youth in a competitive environment, blah blah possible benefits for the national team a few years down the line. Blah blah increased gate revenues for lower league sides" ......aye developing the arse cheeks' youth. At least 50% of which come from outwith Scotland these days.

They were very careful to avoid mentioning the elephant in the room......that of both arse cheeks fucking off to a more lucrative set up in future but conveniently having colts' sides already insitu within the league system and trying at that point to alter the rules to allow them promotion all the way into the SPL and doing away with any age limits

On 4/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, aberdeen1970 said:

Have you ever considered moving to London? 

Again?

God no. It's full of complicated über gays with sixteen different genital variations and incomprehensible nu-speak.

Which is why I left. Anyone else miss the days of good old-fashioned man on man action?

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...