Scotland vs Austria, Israel and the Faroes

1 minute ago, Tord31 said:

That's us looking for snookers already. 

I know. Depressing. And we don’t have the nations league back door to fall back on this time either, which went largely unchallenged by the media when we fucked up finishing top  of that group, post euro qualification euphoria. That should have been the hobgoblins first red flag...

5 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

I know. Depressing. And we don’t have the nations league back door to fall back on this time either, which went largely unchallenged by the media when we fucked up finishing top  of that group, post euro qualification euphoria. That should have been the hobgoblins first red flag...

Aye it was a massive fuck up to lose both of those games and miss out on the playoffs (for world cup 2022 and euros 2024 - it was a huge and a massive fuck up).

Clarke is just your typical boring Scottish manager, will keep it tight win some, draw some and lose some but win, lose or Draw it will be boring. Typically tactically inept and very little imagination in an attacking sense. He likes players like Macgregor and Jack who will do disciplined jobs and be thankful for their place. He puts square pegs in round holes like Tierney at left centre back and Mctominay at right centre back. He is identical in his approach as McInnes is and many other Scots Mangers like Strachan, Mcleish, Levein and Smith

You look at the quality of players at Clarke’s disposal, in most areas anyway, and the level of clubs they are playing at, and we should be doing a whole lot better.

The Tierney/Robertson “fudge” is what will cost Scotland a World Cup place. Tierney is by far the superior left back and yet both get played in unfamiliar positions in a back 3 simply to accommodate them both, unbalancing the whole team.

30 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

Clarke is just your typical boring Scottish manager, will keep it tight win some, draw some and lose some but win, lose or Draw it will be boring. Typically tactically inept and very little imagination in an attacking sense. He likes players like Macgregor and Jack who will do disciplined jobs and be thankful for their place. He puts square pegs in round holes like Tierney at left centre back and Mctominay at right centre back. He is identical in his approach as McInnes is and many other Scots Mangers like Strachan, Mcleish, Levein and Smith

Largs mafia

• Upvote 1

You just know that we'll go to Moldova and come back with a point at best. 

Denmark and Austria meanwhile will head there and Israel (Denmark already have in Israel's case).......it might not be pretty but they'll get the job done and come back with full points. 

I reckon we will beat Denmark at home (again not pretty) but it'll almost be inconsequential in the end due to us dropping the points v the so called minnows

Standard. The Denmark game at Hampden is last in the group so we'll cling on to that for quite a while. Likely come down to us beating Denmark and hoping Austria draw at home to Moldova. Thats how it normally goes down and it wont happen.

It feels like to get serious we'll need to win 2 out of 3 in the september triple header meaning we need to dispose of moldova at home and win away at either denmark or austria

I think we're already playing for 2nd place, along with Austria. Their game vs Denmark will be interesting on Wednesday. If Denmark win, I think they'll run away with the group. 

Even for 2nd place, we probably need to take 4 points off Denmark and avoid defeat in Vienna now. 

I fucking hate Israel. 

Just now, Parklife said:

I think we're already playing for 2nd place, along with Austria. Their game vs Denmark will be interesting on Wednesday. If Denmark win, I think they'll run away with the group

Even for 2nd place, we probably need to take 4 points off Denmark and avoid defeat in Vienna now. 

I fucking hate Israel. 

Yeah, if we're not in sight of winning the group having someone run away with it and taking points off everyone else isn't  a bad thing.

I actually thought Scotland done quite well to grind out two boring draws. It's never going to be exciting under Clarke.

Find a formation/first XI and stick with it.

Pains me to say but they should be on the phone to McGregor and asking him if he fancies a jolly in the summer.

16 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Gave them too much respect first half.

It's fucking Israel.

The lad Adams upfront played very well.

Marshall should have saved the Israel goal, easily.

Clarke needs to find the best 11 and stick with it, Robertson and Tierney in the same team works for 20 mins of a game, then it goes to shit. I would stick with Tierney and drop Robertson, who is majorly off the boil.

Jack Hendry is not international quality. That defence should be McKenna and someone else.

Christie is fucking shite just now.

Agree with this.

Robbo needs dropped.

Israel went into that knowing we where shaky at the back and went for it. Clarke needs to rectify that. 

In fairness, i think we would have lost both these games in the past so 2 points is progress imo. 

Still a long way to go but we’re on the back foot already. Clarke sets us up to keep it tight and absorb the pressure rather than pressing the opposition from the start and inevitably we end up chasing the game. We’re very much the Killie of International football, capable of springing a surprise against the bigger sides but also inconsistent against everyone else.

We would be much better with a flat back 4 and Tierney at LB. Or even Robertson at LB and Tierney at RB.

Playing 3 at the back purely to accommodate Robertson at wing back hoping he'll produce his Liverpool form is pointless because he never does. 

Bar RB we should be able to field a pretty decent starting 11 in a formation that gets the best out of most of them, and that we should be expecting to see off teams like Israel.

Did Clarke play wing backs at Killie? 

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Folk are being a bit harsh on Clarke. 

His football isn't exciting but he's doing a decent job overall.  Especially compared to the garbage that came before him. 

Sounds like a very familiar recent debate about another manager closer to home... Just because Clarke's predecessors were pretty poor doesn't automatically mean him doing an average job should be considered as anything other than that - average. 

Strachan is the only manager since McLeish's first time in charge that we've looked anything but useless, and even that was only after he started playing Griffiths up top. The majority of his time in charge can be remembered as him being a stubborn cunt persisting with guys like Steven Fletcher, Chris Martin etc up from because they had better 'genetics'. And because they played in the English Championship.

2 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Sounds like a very familiar recent debate about another manager closer to home... Just because Clarke's predecessors were pretty poor doesn't automatically mean him doing an average job should be considered as anything other than that - average. 

Strachan is the only manager since McLeish's first time in charge that we've looked anything but useless, and even that was only after he started playing Griffiths up top. The majority of his time in charge can be remembered as him being a stubborn cunt persisting with guys like Steven Fletcher, Chris Martin etc up from because they had better 'genetics'. And because they played in the English Championship.

He's qualified for the European Championships and is unbeaten so far in the World Cup qualifiers. 

What else were you expecting him to have achieved so far? 

If that's average for a Scotland manager why has no one else managed to qualify since 1998. And Craig Broon's teams were hardly exciting either BTW.