Welcome back Stephen Glass

3 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Really wish we'd appointed an experienced manager with plenty experience in Scottish football like Stephen Robinson, Derek Adams, John Hughes or Gary Locke :clangers2:

I hope you don't think THAT'S my argument. 

• Downvote 1
  • Dildo 1

Just now, Zeus said:

Nah some cunt managing in the Irish league. 

Ah he showed a bit of pashion in the derby vs some other part time yokels! 

Correct. 

An experienced manager who's won things, and is worth giving an opportunity to step up. 

As opposed to a guy who didn't suggest he could do much more than struggle with a club that was struggling. 

That doesn't seem reasonable? 

• Downvote 1
  • Dildo 1

I don’t see Considine being the next captain and that’s nothing against him at all. I can’t see past Scott Brown for captain under Glass, he’s got so much experience in the right area of the pitch. I’d be surprised if it’s anyone else l don’t know how well it will go down with some people but he is a real leader that we’ve been lacking since Shinnies left.  

35 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

Really hope so..I maintain that a focused LG would be a brilliant signing. Fit for the season, I reckon he would score 25 plus in a season...

please make it happen...

Focused & fit is something he hasn’t been for a long time though. 
Those free kicks against England seem a long long time ago now. 
Him & Edouard finished the season before last quite well from memory, that’s the last time he looked good.

I agree IF you can get him even close to 100% then he’d potentially be a terrific signing, but it is a massive IF. 

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

I didn't say he's a bad manager... I said his record is patchy to poor and he's demonstrated that he's not particularly good. 

Top of MY list of "Things I want in a football manager" is "Good at being a football manager"

Glass lacks that criteria. 

Your reservations are valid and probably shared by most on here. He's a punt. 

Cormack's picked a guy he trusts. Let's hope he's got good judgment. 

Could go either way. Same as any rookie choice.  At least he's gained his coaching qualifications and got some coaching experience so he's not completely wet behind the ears. 

I'd completely disregard the Atlanta B record. That's a job where you're working with bairns and waifs and strays most of the time. Reserve team football. If he'd won every game with Atlanta B I'd be saying the same thing. 

We'll find out pretty quickly if he's got the cohones to be a manager in his own right both by the courage of his convictions tactically and the signings he brings in this summer. 

27 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Focused & fit is something he hasn’t been for a long time though. 
Those free kicks against England seem a long long time ago now. 
Him & Edouard finished the season before last quite well from memory, that’s the last time he looked good.

I agree IF you can get him even close to 100% then he’d potentially be a terrific signing, but it is a massive IF. 

Perhaps not as match fit as he could be, but he doesn’t look unfit, physically. Can’t speak for his mental state but that appears better, given he’s back at work..

he’s a quality player,  an excellent goal scorer and in my view well worth the ‘risk’, even if he saw it as a stepping stone to somewhere else..

1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

* Welcome to the ranks of the skeptical minority. Expect dildoes. ?

** Well, I can say he's not a particularly good manager, because he managed both Atlanta B and Atlanta, and he wasn't particularly good with either. 

People are stoked because he's coherent, 'out of left field', promises attacking football, and has the backing of the board. Nowhere in there are people stoked because he's a good football manager... and unfortunately that's his primary designation at the club... football manager. 

Everyone's happy enough to ignore this glaring disconnect, though.

The Atlanta stuff is totally irrelevant due to a number of reasons that have been explained plenty times.

6 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

Perhaps not as match fit as he could be, but he doesn’t look unfit, physically. Can’t speak for his mental state but that appears better, given he’s back at work..

he’s a quality player,  an excellent goal scorer and in my view well worth the ‘risk’, even if he saw it as a stepping stone to somewhere else..

At 30 I’m not sure there’s a stepping stone upwards after the Dons is there? 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Your reservations are valid and probably shared by most on here. He's a punt. 

Cormack's picked a guy he trusts. Let's hope he's got good judgment. 

Could go either way. Same as any rookie choice.  At least he's gained his coaching qualifications and got some coaching experience so he's not completely wet behind the ears. 

I'd completely disregard the Atlanta B record. That's a job where you're working with bairns and waifs and strays most of the time. Reserve team football. If he'd won every game with Atlanta B I'd be saying the same thing. 

We'll find out pretty quickly if he's got the cohones to be a manager in his own right both by the courage of his convictions tactically and the signings he brings in this summer. 

Well, Cormack has picked Glass for some reason, but those reasons aren't clear I don't think. 

Is it because Glass has shown massive potential and is ready to explode? Is it because he knows Glass and is mates with him and, hey, he's a football manager and, hey, Aberdeen needs a new manager... so.... Or is it because Glass is a Yes man who will do whatever Cormack tells him? 

No-one really knows why, except Cormack and Glass. 

Once again, I feel I need to offer the addendum that I HOPE Glass is everything he talks himself up to be. 

• Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

The Atlanta stuff is totally irrelevant due to a number of reasons that have been explained plenty times.

I'm aware of the situation at Atlanta. 

So is the argument then that he has NO experience?

• Downvote 1
1 minute ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

At 30 I’m not sure there’s a stepping stone upwards after the Dons is there? 

Never a step up from the Dons, kid...?

2 year deal with us , does well in season one, he would get a good move on big money to a championship club on another 2 year deal, potentially...

Just now, Ke1t said:

How does that make sense? 

He has the experience of a tough situation at Atlanta and generally it seems it is the general opinion he managed to make it half come together at the end of his spell. He didn’t have much of a chance. 

He’s a punt and I do get that but I think it’s refreshing seeing someone who’s not the usual name. The fact he’s got Russell and Brown shows they believe in him too. 

Just now, Ke1t said:

I'd say he has very little experience as a manager. I'd only count the caretaker manager stint at Atlanta first team.  Which is admittedly pretty unimpressive, on paper at least. 

Hopefully he's learned a lot from that. 

In reality this is his first proper job as a manager in senior football where he's got full responsibility for building a team. 

Just now, DelMonte said:

He has the experience of a tough situation at Atlanta and generally it seems it is the general opinion he managed to make it half come together at the end of his spell. He didn’t have much of a chance. 

He’s a punt and I do get that but I think it’s refreshing seeing someone who’s not the usual name. The fact he’s got Russell and Brown shows they believe in him too. 

I'm trying to understand the arguments being variously presented regarding Glass' record. 

1. He has experience, and he didn't exactly overachieve by any metric. Certainly not to any degree that makes him a shoe in for Aberdeen manager. 

2. His experience at Atlanta is irrelevant, so then he has no material experience... because it's irrelevant. 

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Zeus said:

Really wish we'd appointed an experienced manager with plenty experience in Scottish football like Stephen Robinson, Derek Adams, John Hughes or Gary Locke :clangers2:

Or Alex Miller, Steve Patterson, Mark M...I agree, mate, experience isn’t a proxy for quality...

Glass is an exciting appointment and I applaud the club for doing something different...granted, he make make a cunt of it, but until he does, let’s wallow in the jacuzzi of optimism...

He's manager, everyone gets their break at some point. He's held a pro license for 8 years, and has coaching experience. 

Lets just fucking hope this all comes together nice and rosy. I can't understand why anyone would continue to be negative about this before we've kicked a ball under him.

Give him a season and judge him at the end.

1 minute ago, donswin1983 said:

Or Alex Miller, Steve Patterson, Mark M...I agree, mate, experience isn’t a proxy for quality...

Glass is an exciting appointment and I applaud the club for doing something different...granted, he make make a cunt of it, but until he does, let’s wallow in the jacuzzi of optimism...

This seems to be a trope of Glass' appointment... it's 'exciting'. 

Not to be a dick, even though this inevitably will come across as me being a dick, but what about Glass in particular is exciting? 

Just now, Ke1t said:

Not to be a dick, even though this inevitably will come across as me being a dick, but what about Glass in particular is exciting? 

He wants to play high octane, watchable football. 

Considine more or less said the training was a shock to the system. Good, they've had it cushty for ages.

1 minute ago, Ke1t said:

He wouldn’t have been my choice, but, by virtue of the fact he’s got the job, appointed staff, which look like a bit of a coup, I think he merits the excitement, until he earns the right not to be excited about..

New era, new sense of optimism..what’s there not to be excited about, mate...if you’re right, then so be it, but give the loon a chance before we say ‘I told you so’

no?

He wouldn’t have been my choice, but, by virtue of the fact he’s got the job, appointed staff, which look like a bit of a coup, I think he merits the excitement, until he earns the right not to be excited about..

New era, new sense of optimism..what’s there not to be excited about, mate...if you’re right, then so be it, but give the loon a chance before we say ‘I told you so’

no?

Or at least until 4.30pm on Saturday when the team sheet comes out! 

If Taylor and Campbell are both in the team there will be scenes in the match thread! 

no?

I'm absolutely open to seeing him blow the league up with his exciting, attacking football. 

I would love nothing more than to see a Stephen Glass Aberdeen win the league on the last day of the season at Ibrox. 

I'm not prone to getting caught up in hype, though... it's healthy to ask questions about practical stuff. 

• Downvote 1
20 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Spot on..why continue with the  tried and tested, SPL, Largs types...sure I read that ‘stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result’..paraphrasing...

Just now, Ke1t said:

I'm absolutely open to seeing him blow the league up with his exciting, attacking football. 

I would love nothing more than to see a Stephen Glass Aberdeen win the league on the last day of the season at Ibrox. 

I'm not prone to getting caught up in hype, though... it's healthy to ask questions about practical stuff. 

Completely agree, mate..if I used logic to support my argument it would dissipate, based on his ‘experience’. However, in the absence of that, I will go with feel good emotion/ excitement and hope to fuck it comes good...

4 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

Completely agree, mate..if I used logic to support my argument it would dissipate, based on his ‘experience’. However, in the absence of that, I will go with feel good emotion/ excitement and hope to fuck it comes good...

It's funny... for years I've said the club needs more positivity and optimism about it, like the American model... and everybody was like, "Get tae fuck wi yer stupid Yank shite"

Then Cormack turns up with his terrific teeth, suntan, messages of optimism and the American way, and everyone's all, "YAAAAAY! YAAAAY!"

And I'm all... "Haud on..."

?

3 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

It's funny... for years I've said the club needs more positivity and optimism about it, like the American model... and everybody was like, "Get tae fuck wi yer stupid Yank shite"

Then Cormack turns up with his terrific teeth, suntan, messages of optimism and the American way, and everyone's all, "YAAAAAY! YAAAAY!"

And I'm all... "Haud on..."

?

??. Nothing like contradicting yourself(ves?)...SG will come and go like every other manager, but my non logic based, excited position is he will do very well..

Genuinely think we will win the Scottish Cup this season (no logic to support that either).