Welcome back Stephen Glass

26 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Listening again to the Here We Go podcast of 2 weeks ago, where the lads asked an Atlanta journalist about Glass, and whether Glass may come here to serve a managerial apprenticeship of sorts, with a view to going back to Atlanta in a few years, and taking charge of the 1st team.

He reckoned that may well happen!

Fuck that for a game of soldiers.

A managerial loan?

Would result in Brown taking over!

Only positive I could see about that is if Glass left before things got stale.

Lots of players out of contract this summer, so I hope he has contacts.

Has this apppointment process been transparent?

Will his tactics be unexpected, or will opposition teams see right through him?

Ok, I'm done, but I've decided to retain a "half full" attitude.

Aberdeen FC today confirms Stephen Glass as its new manager.

The 44-year-old Scotland International returns to the Club he played for between 1994-1998, having managed 60 professional games with Atlanta United as head coach of Atlanta United 2 who play in the USL full-time professional league below MLS, and as interim head coach of Atlanta United’s MLS team following the departure of Frank De Boer.

A promising youngster, who graduated through the ranks at Pittodrie and went on to make 131 appearances in an Aberdeen shirt, Stephen enjoyed Hampden glory in the 1995 League Cup Final, where he was man-of-the-match, before moving south and playing in the English Premiership under some notable figures in the game, namely, Sir Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Sir Bobby Robson and Gianluca Vialli.

Following an impressive playing career, Stephen was assistant manager at Shamrock Rovers before moving to America where he has become a highly respected coach, learning his trade at Carolina RailHawks, Triangle Futbol Club and Carolina Rapids. Having held his UEFA Pro Licence since 2014, he joined Atlanta United in 2018 focusing on their elite U17 squad before undertaking the role of head coach of Atlanta United 2, in 2019.

Stephen’s managerial experience aligns with AFC’s overarching coaching and playing philosophy; to inspire our supporters through an exciting brand of football with homegrown talent at its core, competing and winning at the highest level possible.

Stephen is delighted to be returning to Pittodrie and is enthusiastic about the challenges that lie ahead.

“It is a real honour to be named Aberdeen FC manager. Since my retirement from playing, I have been focussed on becoming the best coach I can be with the aim of being in a position to secure an opportunity such as this.

“Having worked with a number of esteemed managers and coaches in the game, my football education has been extensive and my time with Atlanta United 2 has afforded me the chance to develop some exciting young players and hone my coaching skills.

“From the initial conversations I have had with the Chairman and the board this week I am hugely excited about the plans that are being put in place for next season. Dons’ fans can be assured by my drive for Aberdeen to compete fiercely and to win.”

AFC Chairman, Dave Cormack added, “During our recruitment process our football strategy, philosophy and the key attributes we desire in a new manager led us to short-listing and interviewing a number of emerging highly talented, driven and ambitious coaches. Stephen was the outstanding candidate for the role. He is a bright, young, emerging manager who has all the attributes we are looking for to take this club forward.

“His winning mentality, having been mentored in the ‘Aberdeen Way’ from an early age by the likes of Teddy Scott, Alex Smith and Willie Miller, and desire to embrace the Club’s strategy were key factors in our decision. He is committed to an exciting, attacking style of football and maximising our player budget so we can get the best out of, and right balance between, experienced players and, crucially, developing and playing young first team players.

“His coaching style and track-record of developing young players at Atlanta United, like George Bello from the academy to the first team, to now becoming a US international player, and working with top professionals like Argentinian international Pity Martinez, a South American player of the year, who Atlanta United then sold for around $20 million, along with his leadership and communication skills are exactly what we need at this juncture for Aberdeen Football Club.”

Oh well, have to look at the positives:

• Young, ambitious manager
  • Comes from a club where they have an attacking football philosophy, so hopefully will bring that here. Mentions this in the Dons statement a few times.
  • Worked with bringing youngsters through so hopefully will do better than Mcinnes did in this regard and give meaningful gametime to promising players like Anderson.
  • Nae links to the old firm

Have to get behind him now.

10 minutes ago, elephantstone78 said:

Possibly the most underwhelming appointment in our history. 
B team manager from USA. Ffs. 
laughing stock of the league with this hire. Literally no other team in our division if they were looking for a manager would even consider Glass. That says a lot. 

now that’s got that out the system c’mon Stephen etc. 

Mcghee appointment was worse, but even most of us got behind him to start with. The concern for me isn't Glass being the manager per se, it is that Cormack clearly had him eyed up long before DM got the bullet and there are clearly some things going on between us and Atlanta that we aren't being made aware of. I will get right behind SG, but DC is  bullshitter of the highest order. 

“His coaching style and track-record of developing young players at Atlanta United, like George Bello from the academy to the first team, to now becoming a US international player, and working with top professionals like Argentinian international Pity Martinez, a South American player of the year, who Atlanta United then sold for around $20 million, along with his leadership and communication skills are exactly what we need at this juncture for Aberdeen Football Club.”

Sorted then eh?