St. Johnstone 0 - 1 Aberdeen

28 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Campbell's sliding tackle when Conway was running into our box was a classy piece of defending. 

Agree with this. Deano has shown real quality time and again this season. Yes he makes mistakes but what player doesn’t and especially at his age. He has bags of potential. Wouldn’t it be great if we could all support him to the hilt and help him fulfill it!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Dildo 2
4 minutes ago, JazzaBett said:

Agree with this. Deano has shown real quality time and again this season. Yes he makes mistakes but what player doesn’t and especially at his age. He has bags of potential. Wouldn’t it be great if we could all support him to the hilt and help him fulfill it!

Give it a couple of games and Ramsay and Mackenzie will be getting some fans slagging them off

1 hour ago, JazzaBett said:

Agreed. The more game time he’s had this season has definitely helped his development. 

14 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Happy with look of mcKenzie & Ramsay as well.

Aye, very positive.

Shame we couldn't have seen them a bit earlier in the season.

Oh, I forgot, the full back positions were a major strength for us then... ?

Nice goal, 3 points and reasonable 2nd half.

Hopefully "Broony" can use his influence to manipulate a result for us v Timothy. ?

• Upvote 1

According to Glass himself,one of his main strengths is man management. McInnes,had the ability to attract a better standard of player than we'd been used to,...but, also an uncanny ability  to get little more than 60% out of them,if not retard them.Not helped,(or mainly IMO) due to the spirit sapping football we used.

Hopefully a different style of fitba,combined with good player management will keep the likes of McKenzie/Ramsay etc on an upward curve.like the look of McKenzie,good physique,good attitude and eye for a pass.Never saw Ramsay as stream had frozen by then but sounds a prospect too

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Without going all RS on you all but in my experience people who feel the need to tell you they’re good at man management generally aren’t.  Or American. 

Glass was asked what he thought his strengths were and answered thus(rather than pushing the idea).We'll find out I guess

2 hours ago, Laichomoray said:

According to Glass himself,one of his main strengths is man management. McInnes,had the ability to attract a better standard of player than we'd been used to,...but, also an uncanny ability  to get little more than 60% out of them,if not retard them.Not helped,(or mainly IMO) due to the spirit sapping football we used.

Hopefully a different style of fitba,combined with good player management will keep the likes of McKenzie/Ramsay etc on an upward curve.like the look of McKenzie,good physique,good attitude and eye for a pass.Never saw Ramsay as stream had frozen by then but sounds a prospect too

I think mccinnes best attribute was his man management. Every interview I seen from our ex players they all said how much they loved him. The biggest problem was for 3 or 4 years we attracted the best young players in the league we could get, when they left we couldn’t replace them with the same standard so we went backwards.

Also who said Ramsay should of been in the team earlier is he not only 17. How early were you wanting him in. 

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, thurso said:

I think mccinnes best attribute was his man management. Every interview I seen from our ex players they all said how much they loved him. The biggest problem was for 3 or 4 years we attracted the best young players in the league we could get, when they left we couldn’t replace them with the same standard so we went backwards.

Also who said Ramsay should of been in the team earlier is he not only 17. How early were you wanting him in. 

Nae sure about McInnes man management.Think he was able to create a good atmosphere around the club,but as i said,too many times individual players seemed to go sideways or backwards which once they did,McInnes seemed incapable of turning round

15 minutes ago, thurso said:

I think his style of management initially made for a good atmosphere but ended up with players that were far too comfortable in there places leading to the becoming complacent 

30 minutes ago, thurso said:

Aye but McKenzie is almost 21 and hasn't had a sniff until recently.  Bruce Anderson is almost 23 and we're still debating whether he's good enough or not. 

You need to give players their opportunity at a young age if you are serious about developing them. 

David Robertson, Stephen Wright, Glass himself. All first team players in their teens. Same with Ryan Jack and Fraser Fyvie who was only 16 when he was in the team. 

You could go back further. Neil Cooper, Eric Black, Booth, Jess. All teenagers.

The list goes on. 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye but McKenzie is almost 21 and hasn't had a sniff until recently.  Bruce Anderson is almost 23 and we're still debating whether he's good enough or not. 

You need to give players their opportunity at a young age if you are serious about developing them. 

David Robertson, Stephen Wright, Glass himself. All first team players in their teens. Same with Ryan Jack and Fraser Fyvie who was only 16 when he was in the team. 

The list goes on. 

I think young players need to be backed with games. We are now starting to see the benefits of Campbell getting a decent run in the team, he is looking more comfortable and confident in his position. We need to get away from signing the likes of Greg Leigh before giving the likes of Mackenzie a chance

14 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

There is a balance to be had in the modern game though.  Tiernay and the young midfielder lad at hearts who’s name I forget are now pretty injury prone due to over exposure at a young age.

Souttar, started the other night for a long time for Hearts. More of a defender nowadays

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The list goes on. 

I’ll agree with you about Mackenzie I didn’t realise he was 21 until I seen his birthday on Facebook the other day. He should of been given a chance ages ago instead of signing the likes of Greg Leigh but young players have to be ready to play and they actually have to try harder to get into the team and stay there. 
We’ve also seen young players get a chance then get ridiculed by fans for bad performances Iv been as bad as any one for slagging of McLennan for a few average performances 

If I was the father of one of the young guys I'd be a lot happier now that McInnes has gone. McInnes never seemed enthused by talent that was brought through the Pittodrie youth system. I thing the next 12 months will reveal this approach was unwarranted and costly (in many ways).

9 hours ago, Laichomoray said:

Nae sure about McInnes man management.Think he was able to create a good atmosphere around the club,but as i said,too many times individual players seemed to go sideways or backwards which once they did,McInnes seemed incapable of turning round

And he persisted with the players that had gone sideways or backwards, which came at the cost of promoting youth and creating competition for the senior pros, which may have led to complacency on their part, knowing they would continue to be picked.

the Aberdeen Academy is highly regarded, but I agree with others that they need a shot in the first team and not just for 10 mins here and there.

fair play to PS for giving these loons a chance. That will be the legacy of his short tenure.

• Upvote 1