ASC sartorial history

Greetings from across the pond!

Yankee Don supporter here. Glad to see such vibrant support here online!

I consider myself somewhat of an amateur cultural historian - and while  I am very much interested in football supporter culture as a whole, I've become particularly fascinated with the cult of the casual/dresser. With respect to this, I feel that Aberdeen does not get NEARLY enough credit for the sharp dressers they've been consistently  been turning out since the very beginning.

I surf around on a lot of forums similar to this one...where it seems like virtually every English club in existence lays claim to being among the first to adopt the casual style...constantly forgetting that all along, north of the border the ASC has been in existence since before almost any of them!!

I enjoyed Dan Rivers book "Congratulations, You Have Just Met The Casuals"- especially the chapter titled "Getting Dressed", which focused on some of the labels and styles worn during the golden age of the early-mid 80's. I just thought the chapter was too short, and honestly wished the ENTIRE book had focused solely on describing the clothes themselves!!

I'm hoping some of you might be able to satiate this curiosity. To any aberdonians who were around in the early-mid 80's (or who are in the know on the subject) here are a few things that pique my curiosity:

- The early years interest me alot...What kind of clothes/brands were worn between ASC's formation and when sportswear started to take over? I know Pringle was big in the beginning, but that's about it..

-how did the Aberdeen look evolve/change over the seasons and years??

-I understand the casual culture crossed over to Aberdeen via playing Liverpool in 1980... but at the same time a lot of clothing was taken back/ adopted from London... looking for some elaboration on the styles and looks Aberdeen incorporated from both cities.

- Were any brands or looks unique to Aberdeen, casual wise?

I know that a lot of the ASC  followed the northwest's lead  and adopted the dressed-down or "scruff" look during the mid 80's...while a dedicated sect continued to seek after more and more exclusive designer gear... Did these two branches overlap in any way?? Or was it strictly one-or-the-other?

-Also curious about footwear and trainers. I know nike was big in aberdeen...what about Adidas?? How did the trainer fanaticism compare to, say, Liverpool?

-Any other feedback or input is welcome!!

Thanks In advance!!

• Haha 1

First off...the Dan Rivers book was crap, do yourself a favour and read Jay Allan's Bloody Casuals, way better book on the scene.

Pringle and Burberry were probably the main early brands, throw in a bit of Farah, for a lot in the really early days the violence was more important than the clothes, pretty scruffy mob if being honest, got refined as the years went on.

I'd say Adidas was the trainer of choice, Trimm trab probably the best ever trainer, always regret not keeping a good pair. Sole had a habit of coming off if you kicked a hun hard enough but best trainer I ever owned, always the blue colour.

Good you have an interest in our club, wish I could have been more help but I loved the trouble more than the clothes.

• Dildo 1

When they first appeared on the scene,there didnt appear to be any common dress code.First time i noticed them was in '81 in a 1 -1 home game v Utd.Group of guys banging on the segregation fence at the paddock trying to goad the Jutes.Only theme clothes wise at that stage was no colours/scarves but no brands.

Following season I noticed more branded Track suits,Jumpers etc

Pringle and Burberry for sure. As dayts says the Adidas Trimm Trab is the king of trainers, still have a couple of pairs love the navy ones with the light blue stripes. Fila and Ellesse were very popular in the early 80's but were mainly nicked by us younger ones, remember getting the all night train down to London probably about 84 and we nicked a lot of Ellesse and Fila gear through the day and got the train back at night, the shoplifting was a lot easier back then. I also loved a pair of cords back in the day also. Dayts also right the Jay Allan book is the most relevant book for that time

The Liverpool European cup tie being the point of origin is not correct according to my recollection, it was West Ham that kick started the culture in Aberdeen, following a pre-season friendly in 1981.

There was a tournament in August 1981, with Man Utd, West Ham and Southampton over a weekend.

West Ham and Man Utd both had hooligan gangs in Aberdeen for the weekend and fought at the ground and in the city centre over the weekend.

West Ham were dressed in the early casual gear e.g. Slazenger jumpers and cardigans and adidas Stan Smith.

The following season most Aberdeen were dressing like that, although some were still into the mod / ska look, Harrington jackets, Fred Perry etc.

The next season came the kagool’s, adidas and Patrick mainly and the Pringle and Lyle and Scott golf jumpers and topped off with a game keeper hat.

The following season it was the Italian track suits, Fila, Sergio Tachini, Ellesse and Cerruti, as some of the other posters have commented Trimm Trabb was the most popular trainer, must have been 20 versions

Then came Lacoste, Kappa and the Benneton rugby tops

Then around 1985 came Burberry and Aquascutum and Giorgio Aramani jackets and jumpers with Fiorucci jeans and non tennis trainers.

Then there was period when the brand culture kind of died out, which remained through the late 80’s into the dance music / rave era, most were wearing trainers like adidas samba at this time. Which I think is the scruff look you mention.

Then early 90’s the labels returned with Ralph Lauren and Gant, Lacoste and the early emergence of Stone Island.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, leftside said:

The Liverpool European cup tie being the point of origin is not correct according to my recollection, it was West Ham that kick started the culture in Aberdeen, following a pre-season friendly in 1981.

There was a tournament in August 1981, with Man Utd, West Ham and Southampton over a weekend.

West Ham and Man Utd both had hooligan gangs in Aberdeen for the weekend and fought at the ground and in the city centre over the weekend.

West Ham were dressed in the early casual gear e.g. Slazenger jumpers and cardigans and adidas Stan Smith.

The following season most Aberdeen were dressing like that, although some were still into the mod / ska look, Harrington jackets, Fred Perry etc.

The next season came the kagool’s, adidas and Patrick mainly and the Pringle and Lyle and Scott golf jumpers and topped off with a game keeper hat.

The following season it was the Italian track suits, Fila, Sergio Tachini, Ellesse and Cerruti, as some of the other posters have commented Trimm Trabb was the most popular trainer, must have been 20 versions

Then around 1985 came Burberry and Aquascutum and Giorgio Aramani jackets and jumpers with Fiorucci jeans and non tennis trainers.

Then there was period when the brand culture kind of died out, which remained through the late 80’s into the dance music / rave era, most were wearing trainers like adidas samba at this time. Which I think is the scruff look you mention.

Then early 90’s the labels returned with Ralph Lauren and Gant, Lacoste and the early emergence of Stone Island.

+1

Great summary.

37 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Semis:

Aberdeen 3-0 West Ham

Man United 1-3 Southampton

3rd place:

West Ham 1-0 Man United

Final:

Aberdeen 5-1 Southampton

Most entertaining weekend of fitba.

Aye remember it well, was a great concept and we were far and away the best team in it

On 4/18/2021 at 12:07 PM, leftside said:

Was there not a period of running trainers too? I wasn’t a casual, but I liked the grey Adidas running show with the 3 yellow stripes. Couldn’t afford them like, but they were smart...

There was also the emergence of the fake, stone island jacket in the 90’s, which did a roaring trade in Aberdeen..