V for Vendetta

Director of Football

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,302 posts
  • Joined 30-June 11

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:14 PM

Had a long, hard think about about it.

I am now in with the crew - McInnes out.

Hmmm.

I wouldn't shed a tear but almost can't be arsed getting up the energy to care right now.

The club has the manager it deserves.

We are a boring, stolid, cautious club.

#17672 ONLINE   Sooper-hanz

Sooper-hanz

Great as etc.., etc..,

• Members
  • 19,457 posts
  • Joined 12-November 15

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:18 PM

I think McInnes's problem is he can't pick a decent player. McLean, okay an exception. Maddison was a babysitting job, as was Christie. He doesn't have a great strike rate.

I agree . To me he seems to think he has some guru like quality where he will take a player with an unimpressive background and get the best out of him .
His success rate is awful. Look at some of the shite he’s brought to Aberdeen.
We’d be better employing someone with an eye for a player who controls all transfers and leave McInnes to get on with his job of preparing the team.
Would his ego allow that though ?

limericks etc..,

#17673 OFFLINE   Foster14

Foster14

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,708 posts
  • Joined 09-January 08

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:27 PM

I agree . To me he seems to think he has some guru like quality where he will take a player with an unimpressive background and get the best out of him .
His success rate is awful. Look at some of the shite he’s brought to Aberdeen.
We’d be better employing someone with an eye for a player who controls all transfers and leave McInnes to get on with his job of preparing the team.
Would his ego allow that though ?

Not sure on that.  Almost feel that he isn't bad on the recruitment and selling the club side of things, but then doesn't get the best out of his players.  Take Greg Stewart.  Clearly a good player at this level, scored plenty in a 6 month spell at Kilmarnock, but largely terrible in the 18 months around it with us.  He had GMS, a skillful player who would strike fear in to most Premiership defenders.  Yet, he was continually forced to do a load of defensive work he was terrible at, and seemed to be knackered after 50-60 minutes in each game.  Just tries to make every winger do what Hayes was very good at doing.  To me, a real issue with his tenure is having had really good players that he doesn't know how to use or get the best out of.  His tombola of fitting players in to systems, rather than either building a system round his players, or getting in players to fit a system.  

To me, he has shown he can do well in recruitment (at times) and he can do well at putting a team on the park to play to the best with what we have available (at times).  There doesn't always appear to be a clear link between the two though, which is worrying when he has control over both.  

Ding dong, normal guy in the house!

#17674 OFFLINE   Ten Caat

Ten Caat

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Joined 05-December 17

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:50 PM

I was of the McInnes out camp 18 months ago, just after he had sniffed around sevco towers and found it not to his liking. However it didn't happen and so resigned myself that he would be here until his contract ran out. As the end of last season approached and no new contract seemed to be forthcoming, I presumed the board had taken a bit of a pragmatic view......he wasn't the worst manager we had and probably didn't deserve sacking but that he should be allowed to see out his contract and then part company at the end of this season. He would get to see the training ground opened (and use it for a bit) which he did have a fair bit of input into......it seemed a reasonable thing to do.

However with the contract extension he received in the summer I'm now conflated. I really do think DM has taken us as far as he can and that in staying we risk not only stagnating but also regressing where Hibs and Hearts might well have a chance of overtaking us (maybe not Hearts whilst Avril remains in charge there). On the other hand our team can beat the arse cheeks and given a reasonable draw he could well add another Cup or 2 during his tenure. 

I've said before.....with the ink on the new contract barely dry, unless we run into relegation difficulties we are stuck with DM for minimum 18 months, more likely till at least the end of his new contract. To punt him early won't be cheap....and our board certainly are known for profligacy. Certainly not to the point of essentially paying for 2 managers if we were to boot him out now and replace him with...…….well nobody actually springs to mind immediately (maybe the boy at Motherwell???).

Those advocating McInnes out now are going to be very disappointed I think.

#17675 OFFLINE   alscotoz

alscotoz

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,967 posts
  • Joined 05-August 11

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:50 PM

Lewis
Ferguson
Hedges
Lowe

Just a few to start. Posts like the above are lazy in the extreme.

I'll give you the first two (Ferguson has had one very good season). Third has been here 2 minutes, last was never a stayer. Name the rest who he has signed who have proven themselves over a period of time. If he had gone to the huns, I'd wager with a far bigger budget he would have achieved fuck all. I don't rate him, you do. That's okay.

EDIT: I know he's going nowhere.

Edited by alscotoz, 13 August 2019 - 12:51 PM.

Never argue with an I D I O T . They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#17676 OFFLINE   AllyDon

AllyDon

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Joined 20-July 17

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:53 PM

Had a long, hard think about about it.

I am now in with the crew - McInnes out.

Welcome aboard.

#17677 OFFLINE   Foster14

Foster14

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,708 posts
  • Joined 09-January 08

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:35 PM

I'll give you the first two (Ferguson has had one very good season). Third has been here 2 minutes, last was never a stayer. Name the rest who he has signed who have proven themselves over a period of time. If he had gone to the huns, I'd wager with a far bigger budget he would have achieved fuck all. I don't rate him, you do. That's okay.

EDIT: I know he's going nowhere.

Shinnie.  Logan.  Rooney.  Cosgrove (can't argue his goal tally last year).  Robson.  Flood. (Both served an important purpose in early years).  GMS (good signing, badly utilised, not sure was most committed).

There has been a fair amount of dross.  A fair amount of averageness.  And some very good players.  

#17678 OFFLINE   DelMonte

DelMonte

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:49 PM

Sunday was such a shit show, I'm not sure how he comes back from that. The players looked arsed, which is fucking worrying in the 2nd league game of the season.

These results are happening all too often. Motherwell last season. Hamilton last season. We should be steamrolling these cunts with our financial advantage.

Cup performances - not bad for me. As frustrating as losing to Celtic is, it's going to happen more often than not.

European performances - if we go out on Thursday I'd mark this section as fucking dreadful. No excuses this year, draw has been kind as it can be.

Trust me, I'm not one for sacking managers at the drop of a hat but we are seriously stagnating here. Thought he'd turned a corner with some of the new signings but not convinced now.

Praying I'm wrong about him, but just can't see him turning it around at all.

#17679 OFFLINE   KidCreole

KidCreole

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Joined 03-September 15

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:07 PM

Give Robson a crack at the job I think he would be superb

#17680 OFFLINE   WillieMiller

WillieMiller

Under 19

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 15-June 17

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:59 PM

Getting in Gordy Strachan is a no brainer if McInnes goes. Plays attractive football which is exactly what we are needing and gets the club. An easy decision.

If he's unobtainable at the moment then Jim Goodwin would be a wise second choice. Young and up-and-coming manager who did brilliantly with Alloa now seems to be turning St Mirren into a real contender for european spots. He really has a nose for wingers in the transfer market too.

#17681 OFFLINE   Red_Rocket_1983

Red_Rocket_1983

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Joined 06-June 15

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:00 PM

Getting in Gordy Strachan is a no brainer if McInnes goes. Plays attractive football which is exactly what we are needing and gets the club. An easy decision.

If he's unobtainable at the moment then Jim Goodwin would be a wise second choice. Young and up-and-coming manager who did brilliantly with Alloa now seems to be turning St Mirren into a real contender for european spots. He really has a nose for wingers in the transfer market too.

:fishing:  :caught:  :checkit:

#17682 ONLINE   NEM

NEM

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Joined 07-September 16

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:01 PM

Give Robson a crack at the job I think he would be superb

Barry "3rd place" Robson?

Get that loser clean to fuck

#17683 OFFLINE   boboisared

boboisared

Part-timer

• Members
  • 16,066 posts
  • Joined 28-August 06

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:14 PM

He has too many yes men.

:roids: The Official AFC-Chat 'Lay Off The Roids' Club - In conjunction with Tup's Corner   :roids:

• Peterheid Loon - Review never
  • Sheepish Kev - Review once he has his dream of Rangers being back in the top flight of Scottish football.
  • Tyrant - Review once he superglues a dildo to someone's car bonnet.
  • Tup - Once he apologises to Brian from Bergen for his reaction to him offering genuine advice ahead of his big date.

Folk Dayts is intolerant of

• ​Polish accordionists
  • Pro Independence folk
  • Folk trying to make other folk aware of cancer
  • Those God damn Arabs
  • Joggers who don't wear jeans
  • Shoplifters
  • Lads

#17684 OFFLINE   maryhilldon

maryhilldon

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,120 posts
  • Joined 18-January 16

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:53 PM

Shinnie. Logan. Rooney. Cosgrove (can't argue his goal tally last year). Robson. Flood. (Both served an important purpose in early years). GMS (good signing, badly utilised, not sure was most committed).

There has been a fair amount of dross. A fair amount of averageness. And some very good players.

With the exception of Cosgrove they were all signed 4-6years years ago. Can't dine out on that forever.

#17685 OFFLINE   BWG

BWG

FTH

• Members
  • 12,824 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:55 PM

Hmmm.

I wouldn't shed a tear but almost can't be arsed getting up the energy to care right now.

The club has the manager it deserves.

We are a boring, stolid, cautious club.

I think Del Monte's rage is where a lot of us were at 2 seasons ago.  Now the apathy has just set in.

#17686 OFFLINE   Foster14

Foster14

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,708 posts
  • Joined 09-January 08

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:59 PM

With the exception of Cosgrove they were all signed 4-6years years ago. Can't dine out on that forever.

That was on top of Joe Lewis, Lewis Ferguson etc and also they had to have shown major contributions over time.  

He'll generally buy/loan a couple of very valuable contributors a year. 

He'll generally buy/loan a few average players a year.  

He'll generally buy/loan a few shite players a year.  

I don't follow any other teams signings enough to know for certain, but I'd imagine that this is a common theme amongst teams battling in the same transfer market we are.  

#17687 OFFLINE   DelMonte

DelMonte

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:07 PM

I think Del Monte's rage is where a lot of us were at 2 seasons ago. Now the apathy has just set in.

Probably. I've gave him a chance to turn it around and I've seen no evidence he can.

#17688 OFFLINE   Zander1903

Zander1903

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Joined 08-February 14

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:54 PM

press teams & play to our strengths instead of the negative pish that we have to endure some games, i'd rather we didn't lose a game but it would be better than to lose trying instead of a wimper

disna learn from his mistakes is worrying

more misses than hits from his signings 

#17689 OFFLINE   Reed or deed

Reed or deed

You've got no fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts
  • Joined 23-September 15

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:55 PM

Holy fuck.

#17690 OFFLINE   Reed or deed

Reed or deed

You've got no fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts
  • Joined 23-September 15

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:58 PM

Probably. I've gave him a chance to turn it around and I've seen no evidence he can.

A bit like yourself and your rage outbursts.

We were all hoping you could turn it around and just be cool, but there has been no evidence you can.

#17691 ONLINE   Sooper-hanz

Sooper-hanz

Great as etc.., etc..,

• Members
  • 19,457 posts
  • Joined 12-November 15

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:03 PM

Joe Lewis is his one stand out amongst dross . Can’t accept McLean, Robson etc as they were already established decent players .

limericks etc..,

#17692 ONLINE   Ke1t

Ke1t

Chief Executive

• Members
  • 18,151 posts
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:20 PM

A couple of seasons ago the main thing I noticed was how we approached teams, We harassed and hustled the opposition allowing them no time on the ball and frustrating them into making errors we would capitalise on, Since the loss of Hayes and McLean we seem to just sit off teams defend too deep and allow them to play, I cant fathom it myself , Anyone else notice this 

McInnes seems to think we have the rock-solid defence of the 80s currently employed at the club, making the 'only press in our own third' tactic a viable strategy against 'big' teams. 

What it in fact does is make us play out the game on the back foot, relying on the defensive expertise of guys like AT, SL, and AC to keep the opposition at bay, when in actual fact it gives these 'big' teams all the time in the world to build attacks. 

Defence is not this team's strong point, and we shouldn't be pretending it is.

"The internet has made it clear just how many dumb cunts there are."

#17693 OFFLINE   Sonoftherock

Sonoftherock

Director of Football

• Moderators
  • 13,190 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:25 PM

McInnes seems to think we have the rock-solid defence of the 80s currently employed at the club, making the 'only press in our own third' tactic a viable strategy against 'big' teams. 

What it in fact does is make us play out the game on the back foot, relying on the defensive expertise of guys like AT, SL, and AC to keep the opposition at bay, when in actual fact it gives these 'big' teams all the time in the world to build attacks. 

Defence is not this team's strong point, and we shouldn't be pretending it is.

What is exactly is our strong point?  Goalkeeper?  That's about all I can think?

"Whenever I'm in Edinburgh I roll with the T.Y.T (Tollcross Young Team)" - Romeo, So Solid Crew

#17694 ONLINE   Ke1t

Ke1t

Chief Executive

• Members
  • 18,151 posts
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:28 PM

What is exactly is our strong point?  Goalkeeper?  That's about all I can think?

...can I get back to you on that?

:suicide:

"The internet has made it clear just how many dumb cunts there are."

#17695 OFFLINE   DelMonte

DelMonte

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:33 PM

A bit like yourself and your rage outbursts.

We were all hoping you could turn it around and just be cool, but there has been no evidence you can.

You're hurting over that aren't you? :laughing:

#17696 OFFLINE   Reed or deed

Reed or deed

You've got no fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts
  • Joined 23-September 15

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:43 PM

You're hurting over that aren't you? :laughing:

Ok. Time bomb heed.

#17697 OFFLINE   CalgaryDon

CalgaryDon

MontrealDon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Joined 15-December 13

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:01 PM

Everytime we lose everyone freaks out. We'll turn it around. Remember we should have had a penalty and a goal that should have stood. We made too many changes on Sunday but it was understandable given our current schedule. 

#17698 OFFLINE   Fridge

Fridge

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • Joined 08-October 18

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:57 PM

Have to agree with some points here, I’m not a fan of Pep’s football, however we did get close to Celtic in that cup final albeit we were absolutely fucked by chasing every ball.

If you chase down every player no matter how good they are they will panic and fuck up at some point. Problem is you will be knackered and picked off but at least have a go.

But have a fucking go and do not sit off. Not one fan would give you shit for that.

#17699 OFFLINE   Red_Rocket_1983

Red_Rocket_1983

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Joined 06-June 15

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:04 PM

Have to agree with some points here, I’m not a fan of Pep’s football, however we did get close to Celtic in that cup final albeit we were absolutely fucked by chasing every ball.

If you chase down every player no matter how good they are they will panic and fuck up at some point. Problem is you will be knackered and picked off but at least have a go.

But have a fucking go and do not sit off. Not one fan would give you shit for that.

Exactly!

#17700 OFFLINE   The Oxford Don

The Oxford Don

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,546 posts
  • Joined 17-January 06

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:23 PM

...can I get back to you on that?

:suicide:

The team does have strengths. It's generally well organised, and you don't get the rising panic which was all too common with previous managers that a sizeable number of the team have no fucking clue what they're meant to be doing. 

We are (or can be) a decent counter-attacking team. We have good pace, decent (by Scottish standards) wide players and full-backs who like to get forward. 

Joe Lewis is far and away our best player - has a reasonable claim on being the best goalie in the league. 

It's not all doom-and-gloom, but the last two results and performances have been absolute horse and (although it's a bit ridiculous at such an early stage of the season) there's already a lot of apathy creeping in. They need a performance tomorrow night: we all know they're up against it from the first leg (largely self-inflicted) but if they go out kicking and screaming and having had a damned good go at it then most fans will accept that. If we play defensively, draw 0-0 and go out with a whimper then folk will be utterly entitled to feel fucked-off. 

11 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users