#601 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy

fine-n-dandy

Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,609 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:46 PM

Are people mistaking Tony Watt as being a project, as opposed to him being from the projects?

Ding Dong

#602 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy

fine-n-dandy

Troll

• Members
  • 27,609 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:59 PM

I agree that his record has been mixed but he's had some successes in the market.
Lewis is a good goalkeeper and Ward was a good loan (apart from the mid season break clause). Lewis even extended his contract with us which was a considerable coup.
Logan has been a good signing and extended his contract twice. Devlin also looks to be a good signing. McKenna has been integrated successfully into the first team. Shinnie was a good signing although mainly played in midfield. Hector was a good loan signing.
McLean was a good signing. Ferguson looks a find. As you say GMS was a good signing too. I think Stewart made sense at the time but it didn't really work out. Christie was a good player, downside was obviously he couldn't play against Celtic. Going further back Robson and Flood were good signings at the time and the stage we were at as a team. Maddison was a good spot but didn't work out, possibly faults on both sides there.
Rooney was a great signing at the time. May, on paper, was a coup at the time.
Plenty of failures too of course , particularly with loans. Hit rate with strikers is a real weakness and slow to address issues at full back and in central midfield.

Discounting the well known/low risks because we are judging him on his abilities to find gems in this debate. I would say his transfer record at finding gems is fkn awful really overall.

Lewis I credited him for, Ward was low risk (especially considering our desperation)
Logan I also credited him with & also him EVENTUALLY finding some decent defenders this season. McKenna was a desperation measure that he failed to spot/use earlier than he should have.
Midfield his only real success in there has been proven players or loans from bigger clubs mostly. McLean (until his final season) was VERY hit & miss. Don't let his final season blind you to his previous.
Ferguson has been (it seems) his best piece of work ever at this club in midfield & his ONLY successes up front has been a proven Rooney & he tried to do the same again with May but it's failed. Every striker he's signed other than Rooney has been shite. He has what looks to be a great striker in the making (& one that is better than either of those ahead of him) in Anderson but is failing to make proper use of him.
GMS the only winger he's signed with a hint of success but that was relatively low risk also.

I would say he has actually signed/sourced a lot more shite than right in all honesty in his time here & he has the cheek to slate other sides 'scatter gun' approach when his 'precision pin pointing' approach has been really not a lot to shout about.

Edited by fine-n-dandy, 07 September 2018 - 04:16 PM.

Ding Dong

#603 OFFLINE   BWG

BWG

#TopDon

• Members
  • 10,851 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:40 PM

Or, there's a lot more to a striker than scoring goals and bearing in mind we have finished 2nd consistently I would suggest he knows fine well what it takes
You should be paying me for my schooling today

Oh aye forgot about all those 2nd place trophies.

Loser.

#604 OFFLINE   DelMonte

DelMonte

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:57 PM

Hardly. I bash him when he has fucked up and give him credit when it's due. What has there been to give him credit for lately? If you are happy with him signing crap like Cosgrove then cool. I'm not though and Cosgrove is just the latest in a long line of shit strikers that McInnes has brought in. Other than Rooney every single one of them has been a complete disaster. It seems he can simply do no wrong in some folks eyes though.

Wrong. Goodwillie was a good player.

#605 OFFLINE   G31DON

G31DON

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • Joined 02-February 14

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:53 PM

No one reads these

I did.

#606 OFFLINE   Don Fonte

Don Fonte

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts
  • Joined 27-March 14

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:08 AM

I did.

I never.

#607 OFFLINE   For Fecks Sake

For Fecks Sake

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Joined 16-October 16

Posted 09 September 2018 - 05:21 PM

Please bear in mind that Fraser had been living on a diet of pizza and Coca-Cola...presumably under the supervision of AFC’s dietitian?...and 2 and a haft stone overweight when he signed for Bournemouth...the first season will have been used up getting him fit again.

Cannot entirely blame AFC for his bad diet, its not as if the club had to watch him 24/7 and make all his meals for him.

Players have to take personal responsibility for their lifestyle and career. For some reason I cannot see the likes of Hazard, Sanchez, Kane etc. enjoying a shit diet in order to become the players they have.

Typical fucking snowflake generation of blaming everyone else but themselves for their own bad judgements because someone other than themselves HAVE to be responsible don't they?

#608 OFFLINE   BWG

BWG

#TopDon

• Members
  • 10,851 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:24 PM

Given how utterly shit the club were back then, at every level, I would not be surprised if it turned out that he was being encouraged to eat like that. Or at the very least being told that it didn't matter.

Mind the size Considine got up to? It was ridiculous.

#609 OFFLINE   milne_afc

milne_afc

Convicted paedophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts
  • Joined 28-July 08

Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:44 PM

Aye, Considine was using all that gain supplements and bulking up through the season haha. Aberdeen invented banter era fitba.
<p>

#610 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy

fine-n-dandy

Troll

• Members
  • 27,609 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:28 PM

Given how utterly shit the club were back then, at every level, I would not be surprised if it turned out that he was being encouraged to eat like that. Or at the very least being told that it didn't matter.

Maybe the club just accepted it because it was a great deal. Two for Tuesday's was great value.
Like getting a cheap player that can 'do a job' in numerous positions

Ding Dong

#611 OFFLINE   J4m35

J4m35

Good Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 03-June 18

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:33 PM

Or, there's a lot more to a striker than scoring goals and bearing in mind we have finished 2nd consistently I would suggest he knows fine well what it takes

You should be paying me for my schooling today

#612 OFFLINE   J4m35

J4m35

Good Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 03-June 18

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:34 PM

Stevie may works his guts out for the team and yet still gets shite. Both he and Cosgrove will come good and having wilson here will obviously help

#613 OFFLINE   Roberto

Roberto

Deleted Mon Account

• Members
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Joined 16-October 06

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:42 PM

Hahahahaha

"Maybe I will never be all the things that I want to be

But now is not the time to cry now's the time to find out why
I think you're the same as me, we see things they'll never see you and I, WE'RE GONNA LIVE FOREVER"

#614 OFFLINE   Zeus

Zeus

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:00 PM

Stevie may works his guts out for the team and yet still gets shite. Both he and Cosgrove will come good and having wilson here will obviously help

:clangers:

#615 OFFLINE   dave_min

dave_min

Director of Football

• Members
  • 14,484 posts
  • Joined 01-October 05

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:46 PM

eyebrow.gif

------
2013 Best Newcomer

2014 Best Newcomer

small_gold_star.pngsmall_gold_star.png

Awww Dave, you're super. :-)

#616 OFFLINE   BWG

BWG

#TopDon

• Members
  • 10,851 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:49 PM

I thought sock puppet accounts were banned?

#617 OFFLINE   V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta

Director of Football

• Members
  • 10,886 posts
  • Joined 30-June 11

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:13 AM

J4m35

Haha, worst attempt at "leet" I've ever seen, when will kids learn its just not cool.

#618 OFFLINE   G31DON

G31DON

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • Joined 02-February 14

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:06 PM

Remember an article, presumably after the Dnipro game, with Langfield when he basically said they were disappointed as they'd have to give up their beer and pizza night while watching the champions league because of the European games.

#619 OFFLINE   Sooper-hanz

Sooper-hanz

Rumpus' love child.

• Members
  • 12,635 posts
  • Joined 12-November 15

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:22 AM

@mods pleeeeeeeee-aaasssseeeeeee can this thread be deleted

limericks etc..,

#620 OFFLINE   Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Tomfoolery, buffoonery & nonsense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,302 posts
  • Joined 06-February 11

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:08 PM

That was before you could read MT
Support real fitba not the EPL

#621 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Chief Executive

• Members
  • 16,356 posts
  • Joined 16-January 06

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:31 AM

JAMIE LANGFIELD last night thanked Jimmy Calderwood and his wife Louise for standing by him - but the Dons hero turned his back on the manager's offer of a drink.

The keeper produced a string of fine stops to deny Dnipro on Thursday night and help Aberdeen through to the group stages of the UEFA Cup.

It was made all the more impressive because Langfield thought he'd never get the chance to shine at the top again having been slapped on the transfer list by Calderwood in the summer after a drunken holiday bust-up.

But he was brought back from the cold for the goalless first leg and stayed in to have the night of his life in Ukraine on Thursday as Aberdeen drew 1-1 but went through courtesy of Darren Mackie's away goal.

Calderwood joked he would toast the success by treating Langfield to a beer but the goalie's thoughts were miles away from the bar.

Langfield said: "I passed on that drink.

"It's been a great turnaround for me. A month ago I didn't know where my future lay but I'm happy with how I dealt with things and how the manager is with me.

"A massive thanks has to go to my wife as well for putting up with me. It must have been difficult for her. I knew she was watching the Dnipro game live on the telly back home along with a few others and I just hope my performance repaid them a bit.

"I know I have a long way to go to prove to them I'm not the kind of person they think I am. Hopefully what happened in Ukraine has shown that a bit.

"What happened in the summer has made me stronger. It's strange that something so bad can make you a better person but I've learned from it. I'm 27, I'm not a young kid. I have to buck up my ideas and thankfully I have. Hopefully nothing like that will happen again."

The Dons' glory night means Langfield and his team-mates will also have to scrap their Champions League social nights.

The former Dundee man said: "Being in the UEFA Cup group stages is massive for us.

"Last year the boys here had Champions League Tuesdays when we met in one of our houses and watched the football and ate pizzas.

That's that snookered now - we are going to have to go places ourselves instead."

https://www.dailyrec...ods-beer-959109

#622 OFFLINE   Poodler

Poodler

Director of Football

• Members
  • 13,970 posts
  • Joined 21-February 11

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:56 AM

I have a strong dislike for Jamie Langfield

It's not mellowed

Edited by Poodler, 17 September 2018 - 09:57 AM.

#623 OFFLINE   V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta

Director of Football

• Members
  • 10,886 posts
  • Joined 30-June 11

Posted 17 September 2018 - 02:11 PM

I have a strong dislike for Jamie Langfield

It's not mellowed

Entirely healthy. 🤙

#624 OFFLINE   G31DON

G31DON

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • Joined 02-February 14

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:30 PM

Cheers @Henry, stellar research as always.

#625 OFFLINE   DelMonte

DelMonte

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:41 PM

Thought I had maybe got it wrong but no, of course not.

Goal

#626 OFFLINE   DD1903

DD1903

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,422 posts
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:46 PM

Oh aye, he's been banging them in...
Just an average guy with exceptional hair

#627 OFFLINE   DelMonte

DelMonte

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:52 PM

No he hasn't. Played well at Pittodrie though. That'll be him on a roll now.

#628 OFFLINE   DD1903

DD1903

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,422 posts
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:48 PM

No he hasn't. Played well at Pittodrie though. That'll be him on a roll now.

If you say so
Just an average guy with exceptional hair

#629 OFFLINE   DelMonte

DelMonte

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

Goal

#630 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy