Paul Scholes

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then i think you have absolutely no clue about football.

how do you figure that?

lets take a look at world cup 2010.

spain won it with the fewest goals scored by any winners. ever.

every game they won, they won 1-0. doesnt exactly make for brilliant watching.

granted it's a lot to do with the oppositions setup but i also think spain suffer from the arsenal disease of trying to walk the ball into the net.

persoanlly i'd rather watch holland or germany.

or brazil.

or argentina (always likely to be goals at both ends with them).

even teams like portugal and the old russia and croatia were ''fun'' to watch.

sorry. forgot that spain were high scorers.

didnt germany score more in 2 games than spain did in the whole tournament?

heck, even england nearly outscored them!!

I know what you're trying to say but you're tying yourself up in knots. Any one of the Dutch or German players would swap their goals or perfomances for a medal. You're making out like Spain play like Rangers did in the UEFA cup. I personally find Spains two touch football amazing to watch, i think they've got the right balance between overplaying the ball and producing the end product, as is evident!

I know what you're trying to say but you're tying yourself up in knots. Any one of the Dutch or German players would swap their goals or perfomances for a medal. You're making out like Spain play like Rangers did in the UEFA cup. I personally find Spains two touch football amazing to watch, i think they've got the right balance between overplaying the ball and producing the end product, as is evident!

i'd be interested to see how much of spains pssesion is in the middle 3rd of the pitch. i think it would be quite a lot.

but yeah i aggree they are certianly not like rangers. spain are very attacking but my problem with it is that they are too patient

:wtf:

Fergie fucked up by not signing Sneijder not some toothless Hun. Liverpool standard, Adam isnt going to be the difference in winning titles or not.

i see where your coming from.

i think sneijder is brilliant, he really is. if he was spainish we'd all wank over him all day long. the fact that folk bum xavi and iniesta like they are pele and maradona, and players like sneijder go unnoticed, does my head in.

in 2010 he was for me, easily the best player around. but the barcalona and spainish love in proved to much and he never got the recognition he deseved.

anyway he'd be a great player for man united, for any team in fact.

but one question arises? when he joined inter in 09 ( i think) why didnt ferguson buy him then? he cost inter less than 20m euros. that was roughly what valencia cost man u from wigwam. not having a go at valencia i like him, he's good and other clubs like real were after him too, but he's no sneijder.

he's now getting older, his price has gone up and his form has dipped (apparently).

fergie missed the boat with this one.

fergie let scholes and v d s play till the very end. maybe thats cause he sees the future or man united in the current squad and youth team. pogba and morrisson are both 19, but fergie obvioulsy doesnt think they are quite ready yet, or if he does he obviously still thinks schools has soemthing to add.

Don't disagree about Fergie missing a trick in not getting Sneijder, but I heard an interesting piece from Gabriel Marcotti in him saying that whilst Sneijder would indeed like to sign for Man Utd, Marcotti(who isn't a know all, just expressing his opinion)doesn't think he'd fit into the way Utd play.

Sneijder plays in the hole just behind the striker, much like VDV at Spurs and where Rooney plays for Utd.

• 3 months later...

Presuming Man U win the league, which is in no way a given but they are still firm favourites, it seems like the return of Scholes was another master stroke by Fergie. He's now being touted for an England call up, I am a little worried about this he's been in such good form he may well significantly increase their chances. I know he quit the England set-up a long time ago but seeing as it really would be his last chance of a tournament he may reconsider. Anyway he's an absolutley fantastic player...for a guff!

If you think that you obviously know nothing about man utds players.

It's a canny move given the injuries but I think it would have been better to promote from within. Morrison and Pogba would have been prime candidates I would have thought

Shows how much you know about football and your beloved Man United.

Me, right again, most of the rest of you, wrong again.

Unlucky lads, watch and learn.

Presuming Man U win the league, which is in no way a given but they are still firm favourites, it seems like the return of Scholes was another master stroke by Fergie. He's now being touted for an England call up, I am a little worried about this he's been in such good form he may well significantly increase their chances. I know he quit the England set-up a long time ago but seeing as it really would be his last chance of a tournament he may reconsider. Anyway he's an absolutley fantastic player...for a guff!

englands chances or remotely doing anything went out the window when wiltshire got injured.

scholes wont come back and carrick is somehow overlooked infavour of gareth barry who is quite posssibly the worst midfielder ever.

they once had another good player who never played in the epl, but played for bayern, so was deemeed not worth of a starting place.

lampard and gerrard have never cut it for england. well not true lampard was ace at euro04, but that was a decade ago.

englands chances or remotely doing anything went out the window when wiltshire got injured.

scholes wont come back and carrick is somehow overlooked infavour of gareth barry who is quite posssibly the worst midfielder ever.

they once had another good player who never played in the epl, but played for bayern, so was deemeed not worth of a starting place.

lampard and gerrard have never cut it for england. well not true lampard was ace at euro04, but that was a decade ago.

Hardly.

You're absolutely right regarding Scholes I'm playing devils advocate a bit but I do think he's better than any of the other England midfielders which is mad considering he's what 37!

Who the hell is Wiltshire?

If you're talking about Jack Wilshere then I think you are mistaken. He's a big talent, but he wouldn't have made that much difference to Englands chances this summer. In the future he'll be a major player though.

Wilshere hasn't done anything yet for Arsenal. Plays well when the rest of the team are playing well but doesn't have it in him to carry his team and change a game like Fabregas could and like Pash said above, doesn't score enough goals. Think he'd get found out big time if he could have played at the Euros

Wilshere hasn't done anything yet for Arsenal. Plays well when the rest of the team are playing well but doesn't have it in him to carry his team and change a game like Fabregas could and like Pash said above, doesn't score enough goals. Think he'd get found out big time if he could have played at the Euros

all fine and well.

but who else do england have that is better?

i think thats the whole point.

to be fair the wee lad performed better against barcelona than i have seen any england player since 2008.

all fine and well.

but who else do england have that is better?

i think thats the whole point.

to be fair the wee lad performed better against barcelona than i have seen any england player since 2008.

To be fair I didn't see that game but I know Arsenal never went through.

Agree with your point though, I really couldn't pick an England midfield that I think would be capable of beating the very best sides at this year's Euros.

• 6 years later...

Scholesy in a bit of bother

Paul Scholes has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association after allegedly placing 140 bets on football matches.

The former Manchester United and England midfielder is alleged to have placed the bets, in contravention of FA rules, between 17 August 2015 and 12 January 2019.

He took the Oldham manager’s job in February 2019 but quit after 31 days in charge. He has until 26 April 2019 to respond to the charge.

Scholes has had a shareholding in Salford City since 2014. The National League club said he had resigned as a director when he took the role at Oldham but retained his 10% stake.