Qatar May Have Been A Mistake Says Sepp Blatter

I coach for the AYSO (American Youth Soccer Organisation) bringing the very best of Scottish fitba tactics to the young American mind. Couple of weeks ago during a practice match my own loon stamped on my ankle, crippling me for the rest of the session. He later took great pleasure in telling me it was deliberate. The little fucker.

Anyway...

The razzle-dazzle is just that, but strip that away and your still left with modern stadiums with concourses full of bars, restaurants, toilets that work, proper access, seats with cup holders, vendors who wander through the crowd selling you shit so you don't even have to stand up if you don't want to. The games are shown live in the stadium bars so you don't even have to go to your seat in the stadium.. just hit the bar once inside and you're sorted. The Detroit Tigers even have a bunch of fairground rides for kids.

Now I understand that a lot of people just need a crumbling stadium and the occassional game of 'dodge the falling bits of roof', but we're in the 21st century now, and along with electricity most of us demand a bit of comfort.

I've a feeling that you would be totally miserable in a modern stadium, though, but keep in mind that the American psychology behind sport not aimed at your average Scot.

Can you shout, swear and hurl abuse?

Those are my three favourite stadium activities.

Domestic organisation in Europe is more or less inular. Aside from general rules of the game, how the sport is set up in each individual territory is up to the local Federation or Association.

I'd LOVE to see a sort of a draft system implemented in europe, where the pishest teams get the first choice of graduating players. Fuck knows how it would work, but there are cleverer cunts than me who could figure it out, I'm sure.

Every year in Europe it's the exact same teams winning the domestic leagues, and the exact same super-rich teams competing for the European competitions. I know lots of people still get massive erections for teams like Real and Barcelona... teams that have fuck all to do with any Scotsman or Irishman... but to me it got tedious a long time ago watching the same players in the same teams (teams I give not one fuck about) winning the same fucking competitions year after year after year, because FIFA has allowed, more likely promoted, the notion that it's every team for itself and the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Competition in football has been throttled. It's a closed shop for the Elite and fuck everyone else.

100% spot on kelt

Fitba is fucked

In summation though the Champions League is to European football what the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL is to American sports. Every youngster coming through aspires to play in the competition.

If any of the American sports had any valid worry that their players may fuck off to the Canadian FL, the Mexican BA, the Cuban League Baseball or Haitian Hockey League, then you can try and draw comparisons to football. As it is, they just absorb an element of nearby countries to keep them and cherry pick the best talent from the rest of the world.

It really isn't comparable to "soccer". You'd effectively be setting up everything to feed in to a European super league with closed doors to make it comparable to American sports. Oh wait...

Except no it wouldn't.

With a draft you're dispersing the talent to the teams with the least talent, that's the point of a draft. The bigger teams can still afford to buy those players later, but they'll have to pay the pish teams actual money in order to acquire that talent. That distributes cash, realistic amounts of cash, back down the pish teams.

Why would it be easier for, say, Baseball than Fitba?

Because baseball is only a massively marketed sport in one country. Everyone who starts off as a baseball player in the world will aspire to play in one league and one league only. It is completely different to football.

Except no it wouldn't.

With a draft you're dispersing the talent to the teams with the least talent, that's the point of a draft. The bigger teams can still afford to buy those players later, but they'll have to pay the pish teams actual money in order to acquire that talent. That distributes cash, realistic amounts of cash, back down the pish teams.

Okay, so we get rid of affiliated youth systems and they go in to some alternate (don't think college/university works, but this bit is the easiest part). First pick in the Scottish draft goes to? Montrose? Or now that we have a system that lower leagues can be promoted in to that, do we go even lower. Let's just say we ignore the fact that teams can be promoted relegated, and the first pick goes to the lowest ranked team in the Premiership. Are we restricting player movements country to country now?

I like the idea of the draft, and if the Scottish Premiership was a standalone league, it would be great. It isn't though, and I don't see it being workable in a sport played at a high level globally.

Generally in American sports you don't have the exact same two teams winning every competition every year ad infinatum.

Imagine if that were true in football... where Celtic doesn't have a monopoly on league titles, or where the Champions League isn't the same half dozen super-rich teams pissing out the trophy every year and snapping up all the fucking money.

Yanks do sport better than Europe.

Look at the state of the Lakers at the moment. Would nevre be allowed to happen to the Huns or Celtic here.

The Champions League is the biggest pile of pish ever. Stopped watching it years ago. I don't even know who won this year, or who in fact got to the latter stages. I could have a bloody good guess though - the same last 8 as last year - maybe 1 team difference? Pile of shite that armchair fans lap up. I don't even like the tune, and that's the best thing about it.

We don't need to distribute players, we need to redistribute cash fairly from all levels and countries throughout all levels and countries, with in UEFA at least.

That means putting a percentage of all income say 50% into a big pot a this is shared equally between everyone. Still gives bigger teams and successful teams an advantage but starts to level the playing field.

Hopefully you can help get it all back on track...

(I'm disappointed you missed this @ )

Harcus idolises tip with a fervour bordering on obsession; he'd never openly umiliate the man he loves in such a public fashion.

To be fair, he didn't get anything wrong, but I did miss a good pun opportunity.

The Champions League is the biggest pile of pish ever. Stopped watching it years ago. I don't even know who won this year, or who in fact got to the latter stages. I could have a bloody good guess though - the same last 8 as last year - maybe 1 team difference? Pile of shite that armchair fans lap up. I don't even like the tune, and that's the best thing about it.

The worst is that these armchair fans don't even like or understand football.

The likes of Bluto are to blame for the death of football as we knew it.

Imbeciles who talk shit and are only interested in the branded teams.

Tup,

What is your 10-point blueprint for the saviour of football.

CL games are only 6-8 Pinter's for me these days min.

Its years since I'd be low double figures min.

Imbecile?

:laughibg:

Rake it back. I've been nice to you the past few months.

I apply fairness and equality across the board, in all aspects of life.

I'll apply that to football and it will work.

I canna say any fairer than that. The logistics will take care of themselves provided the ethos is correct. This is true for any enterprise.

Because baseball is only a massively marketed sport in one country. Everyone who starts off as a baseball player in the world will aspire to play in one league and one league only. It is completely different to football.

Okay, so we get rid of affiliated youth systems and they go in to some alternate (don't think college/university works, but this bit is the easiest part). First pick in the Scottish draft goes to? Montrose? Or now that we have a system that lower leagues can be promoted in to that, do we go even lower. Let's just say we ignore the fact that teams can be promoted relegated, and the first pick goes to the lowest ranked team in the Premiership. Are we restricting player movements country to country now?

I like the idea of the draft, and if the Scottish Premiership was a standalone league, it would be great. It isn't though, and I don't see it being workable in a sport played at a high level globally.

As I say, cleverer cunts than me would have to figure it out, but one possible way that even I can think of is...

A FIFA-nations wide set age at which a player becomes a 'professional', say 16. That player is given a ranking anywhere between 1 for the most promising to 10 for the Darren Mackies of the world.

Scottish players are distributed among Scottish clubs, English among English clubs etc.

So the pishest pro teams get the best players, the best pro teams get the pish players, and if a pro team wants Eoin Jess from Montrose then they pay top dollar for him. And they can throw in their pish draft picks too, since they'ree not going to want Ian Durrant or Ally McCoist.

Result being, Montrose gets a bundle of cash and a semi-decent player or two.

The bottom line is that in order to be workable the current methodology, one that sees the rich getting richer and the poor barely surviving, would have to be remodeled top to bottom.

And that's not a bad idea.

As I say, cleverer cunts than me would have to figure it out, but one possible way that even I can think of is...

A FIFA-nations wide set age at which a player becomes a 'professional', say 16. That player is given a ranking anywhere between 1 for the most promising to 10 for the Darren Mackies of the world.

Scottish players are distributed among Scottish clubs, English among English clubs etc.

So the pishest pro teams get the best players, the best pro teams get the pish players, and if a pro team wants Eoin Jess from Montrose then they pay top dollar for him. And they can throw in their pish draft picks too, since they'ree not going to want Ian Durrant or Ally McCoist.

Result being, Montrose gets a bundle of cash and a semi-decent player or two.

The bottom line is that in order to be workable the current methodology, one that sees the rich getting richer and the poor barely surviving, would have to be remodeled top to bottom.

And that's not a bad idea.

Would a player not be hampered by potential poor facilities at the likes of Montrose though? They may receive poorer physio treatment than is available at bigger clubs which could disrupt their development

• 3 years later...