Inverness V Aberdeen (3 - 1)

Injured: Jack

Doubtful: Considine, Flood

Scott Brown may or may not have been at fault for any goals but we have conceeded six in the four games since he came into the team. Collin has come on board with the promise of getting a run at some point so perhaps it's time to go for it.

Collin

Logan Taylor Reynolds Shinnie

Storie McLean

McGinn Hayes Rooney

Church

subs: Brown, Smith, Pawlett, McKenna, Robson, Flood, Considine

crowd: 4,100

prediction: ? ?

• Site Sponsor

For most of you this will be your first genuine experience of a serious league title run.

Believe me this is genuine.

The advantage we have is that the Celtic players won't have experienced pressure of being chased down, or most of them won't. In 79/80 they buckled at Dens Park losing 5-1 and then we beat them twice at Parkhead.

It's a cliche, but one game at a time. There may be disappointments along the way but there is a real chance at this.

IF we win at ICT then massive momentum going into the Thistle game. We should want Hearts to stay in the cup as well, so that perhaps their minds will be distracted.

• Upvote 4

Let's just get a banner made up. "Inverness CT - Official Feeder Club of Aberdeen FC"

Haven't we only signed two players from them?

Happy enough to keep with Brown but if he's not the future then we should be giving the new lad a chance to prove his worth

I'm sure he does in training, but would he be classed as the future? A loan signing who isn't starting yet?

For most of you this will be your first genuine experience of a serious league title run.

The advantage we have is that the Celtic players won't have experienced pressure of being chased down, or most of them won't. In 79/80 they buckled at Dens Park losing 5-1 and then we beat them twice at Parkhead.

It's a cliche, but one game at a time. There may be disappointments along the way but there is a real chance at this.

IF we win at ICT then massive momentum going into the Thistle game. We should want Hearts to stay in the cup as well, so that perhaps their minds will be distracted.

I have clear (terribly, horribly clear) memories of 1991. You're right... this is starting to feel similar although if it has a similar outcome I'll probably end up on a window ledge.

We have a real chance. It's entirely right that no-one from the club has come out and said it, but hopefully behind closed doors the message to the players is a clear and concise 'MON TAE FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK'.

You’d probably highlight this fixture and the one at Tynecastle as having the biggest potential for a slip up, so we need our key players to hit form here. Church definitely offers something different up top which could work in our favour. McGinn will start and possibly Storie. We’ve yet to beat them this season so that’s one stat McInnes will want to put right.
Celtic look vulnerable right now and I wouldn’t be surprised to County take a point off them to put even more emphasis on our own match.

Guest RosemountRed

Got to go either 442 or 433, we must go for every game now, no point in sitting back.

Think DM knows this and understands a draw is no use we must win.

I think we should tell all the other clubs in the league to deliberately let us win every game 1-0 and do their best against Celtic.

Then when we run out clear winners and the victims start bleating about conspiracies against them, we all say "yes, yes there was a conspiracy against you."

I'm not sure what would blow their minds more, losing, or having one of their conspiracy theories confirmed as absolute fact. Either way, it would be a lolocaust.

• Upvote 2

I have clear (terribly, horribly clear) memories of 1991. You're right... this is starting to feel similar although if it has a similar outcome I'll probably end up on a window ledge.

We have a real chance. It's entirely right that no-one from the club has come out and said it, but hopefully behind closed doors the message to the players is a clear and concise 'MON TAE FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK'.

Back in the 91 season, social media and football coverage itself obviously wasn't what it is today.

I can't really remember, but what was the build up to the league decider like from round about this point of the season?

Was Smith/Scott coming out and saying that we can win it (EB4B probably writing letters to Pittodrie asking why he isn't) were the media playing it up?

• Upvote 1

Although we’ve not quite reached the summit I wonder if the Leicester story is inadvertently galvanising us too, an example of what can happen when the ‘wee’ teams play without fear and rise to the challenge when no-one really gives them a hope. There was a common belief that the proper course of things would right itself and the big boys would eventually restore order but their win against Man City and ours v Celtic seems to have put the seed of doubt in people’s minds that maybe it could actually happen.

We just need to keep up the momentum and hope we’re in with a shout come the split.

Guest RosemountRed

Although we’ve not quite reached the summit I wonder if the Leicester story is inadvertently galvanising us too, an example of what can happen when the ‘wee’ teams play without fear and rise to the challenge when no-one really gives them a hope. There was a common belief that the proper course of things would right itself and the big boys would eventually restore order but their win against Man City and ours v Celtic seems to have put the seed of doubt in people’s minds that maybe it could actually happen.

We just need to keep up the momentum and hope we’re in with a shout come the split.

Could be even better if County sneak a draw at Parkhead on Saturday.

Back in the 91 season, social media and football coverage itself obviously wasn't what it is today.

I can't really remember, but what was the build up to the league decider like from round about this point of the season?

Was Smith/Scott coming out and saying that we can win it (EB4B probably writing letters to Pittodrie asking why he isn't) were the media playing it up?

Very different circumstances... back in '91 at this stage in the season there wasn't really a title race at all as Rangers were still well out in front. They came north in early March with the gap at something like 12 points (2pts for a win back then, mind) and knowing that a win would basically see them confirmed as champions. We won 1-0, Hans Gillhaus scoring the only goal in injury time. So the gap was down to ten points, with about ten games left.

Thereafter Rangers just collapsed, producing a string of bizarre results against teams everyone expected them to wallop whilst we went on a great run, beating teams comfortably and playing some wonderful football in the process. The second last game of the season saw Rangers lose 3-0 (I think) away to Motherwell, and with us winning at home it left us in the infamous situation of level on points and level on GD.

I guess the parallel with this year is that Rangers didn't expect a championship challenge any more than the current Celtic do, and that's what we took advantage of. The big difference is that there is already no gap between the teams although they obviously have a game in hand. In some ways all the pressure was off us in 1991, because we were chasing. We only really had to deal with pressure directly in the final game at Ibrox, and look how that ended... :suicide:

...and yes, the media totally played it up, in fact they positively revelled in the fact that there was a decent challenge. The hype (for back then) was unreal, and by the time the infamous league decider came round it was off the charts... the game was the lead item on the BBC Scotland news (as in, not just the lead item on the sports section but the actual lead), and I think we even got a mention on the proper UK-wide BBC news.

Neither Smith nor Scott were particularly bullish characters and both tried to play down the hype as much as possible, a bit like Deek is doing now. No bad thing either, when you remember that a lot of the success that season was built on our young players who didn't need the additional pressure.

Wonder if shifting back to a counter-attacking 4-4-2 has made a difference in both our case and theirs? They were all over the place tactically last year, with (more or less) the same squad and we never had a plan B after 4-2-3-1.

I have a vivid recollection that it only became a realistic possibility at full time on the Saturday previous as I left the south stand. We had just beaten whoever we were playing and the huns had got humped by someone which (disastrously at it turned out) shifted the goal difference in our favour meaning a draw was enough. Enter Pete Van de Ven and we lined up defensively for the first time in the 10 weeks referred to above. And promptly shat it (courtesy of a physical assault by Hately on Watt in the first minute as I recall).

Edit: Recall Motherwell came into it somewhere!

Edit edit: Love Wiki. Well humped them 3-0 on the second last game, we beat St J 2-1. 0-4 equalled theGD but we'd scored 2 goals more, hence eh Smiffy playing for the draw. Cunt.