Inverness V Aberdeen (3 - 1)

I have a vivid recollection that it only became a realistic possibility at full time on the Saturday previous as I left the south stand. We had just beaten whoever we were playing and the huns had got humped by someone which (disastrously at it turned out) shifted the goal difference in our favour meaning a draw was enough. Enter Pete Van de Ven and we lined up defensively for the first time in the 10 weeks referred to above. And promptly shat it (courtesy of a physical assault by Hately on Watt in the first minute as I recall).

Edit: Recall Motherwell came into it somewhere!

Rangers got walloped at Fir Park, per my earlier post above.

Guest RosemountRed

I have a vivid recollection that it only became a realistic possibility at full time on the Saturday previous as I left the south stand. We had just beaten whoever we were playing and the huns had got humped by someone which (disastrously at it turned out) shifted the goal difference in our favour meaning a draw was enough. Enter Pete Van de Ven and we lined up defensively for the first time in the 10 weeks referred to above. And promptly shat it (courtesy of a physical assault by Hately on Watt in the first minute as I recall).

Edit: Recall Motherwell came into it somewhere!

F*cking glad I am too young to remember that. I'd be scarred for life.

Getting beat 4-3 by Queen of the South almost seems a joyful afternoon out with yer mates compared to that.

Getting out of the car that day in Glasgow and hearing the team suggested that Smith was happy with the draw.

What a let down that day was, the worst feeling ever.

This season the team has a chance to repay the oldies and let those too young to know what winning a title

is all about.

COYR.

• Upvote 2
Guest RosemountRed

Getting out of the car that day in Glasgow and hearing the team suggested that Smith was happy with the draw.

What a let down that day was, the worst feeling ever.

This season the team has a chance to repay the oldies and let those too young to know what winning a title

is all about.

COYR.

How much tickets did we get that day?

I think it was about 4K.

Maybe slightly less than that? We had the bottom tier of the Broomloan aside from (bizarrely) the two wing sections.

I was in the top deck as my dad had wangled tickets via a work colleague but couldn't get any for the Dons section. We were approached by a Rangers fan about an hour before kick-off offering us £1,500 for our seats. Should just have taken the money. Horrible, horrible day.

Id vowed never to go back to the shithole maybe 2 seasons previously following a steward being a total cunt towards me. Foolishly scorned my own resolution and went back for that one. Funnily enough whilst obviously disappointed with the result, and not being exactly surprised by the manner it (Hately being, well, Hately) I wasn't massively surprised/ and hence disappointed with the result. We went, we gave it a hell of a shout, we had at least two chances (VDV from memory) to go in front. We failed. It happens. Its hard to describe why but we were a diminished side on what had gone previously, but still a significant force, but the RFC of Craig Paterson et al had given way to a completely different beast and I wasn't surprised they subsequently did well in Europe. Haven't been since.

Overtaking the CFC now as opposed to the dons then vis a vis the huns then would be a bigger achievement in my mind, albeit Delia is doing his best to mask that achievement.

Why not? Brown isn't above being dropped / rested. And if Collins is good enough, then he deserves a chance to show it. Same with every other player on the park.

Maybe (given every game is crucial right now) it is "BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW" until such time as he does something worthy of dropping him for an unknown.

Anyway. HUGE HUGE game this. With loads of extra bite. Let's do that soor faced cunt Hughes over & don't allow him to help out his precious Celtic.

Maybe slightly less than that? We had the bottom tier of the Broomloan aside from (bizarrely) the two wing sections.

I was in the top deck as my dad had wangled tickets via a work colleague but couldn't get any for the Dons section. We were approached by a Rangers fan about an hour before kick-off offering us £1,500 for our seats. Should just have taken the money. Horrible, horrible day.

Hun

McInnes and the rest of the coaching staff will be seeing Collin in training every day, they'll know whether he's up to it or not. It's not like Brown only gets 90 minutes on a Saturday to stake his claim for starting the following week, they'll be competing the whole week in training.

Back in the 91 season, social media and football coverage itself obviously wasn't what it is today.

I can't really remember, but what was the build up to the league decider like from round about this point of the season?

Was Smith/Scott coming out and saying that we can win it (EB4B probably writing letters to Pittodrie asking why he isn't) were the media playing it up?

Worst Saturday ever, I was working and had the game on the radio, the rumours about Smiffy letting Jocky Scott pick the team on the winning run then him deciding to go for the draw instead of going for it was probably why everyone wanted rid of him :( gutted

I seem to remember the west coast media thought Original Huns had basically won the league, then they started panicking when we went on the winning run, let's get them bricking it again

...and yes, the media totally played it up, in fact they positively revelled in the fact that there was a decent challenge. The hype (for back then) was unreal, and by the time the infamous league decider came round it was off the charts... the game was the lead item on the BBC Scotland news (as in, not just the lead item on the sports section but the actual lead), and I think we even got a mention on the proper UK-wide BBC news.

Neither Smith nor Scott were particularly bullish characters and both tried to play down the hype as much as possible, a bit like Deek is doing now. No bad thing either, when you remember that a lot of the success that season was built on our young players who didn't need the additional pressure.

I was living in London at the time and bought the scottish papers and the build up was huge so on the Thursday night before the game i booked a fight to aberdeen to soak up the atmosphere; nobody i knew in London gave a fuck. One of the shittiest weekends ever.

I'm pretty sure there was controversy as Rangers had cut our allocation to 700/800.

I'm pretty sure there was controversy as Rangers had cut our allocation to 700/800.

Nah, I seem to remember that there was some controversy as they wanted to cut our allocation but weren't allowed to because of the magnitude of the game. In reality we had more tickets that day than we would normally get at Ibrox or have ever had since. The Broomloan holds 8,000* and we had the whole of the bottom tier, minus the two sections at either end, both of which hold less than a thousand. There was probably ~3,500 Aberdeen there that day.

*Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadium_stands_by_capacity

Guest RosemountRed

of course he has

the header goal for St J; HELL was he doing

the 3rd goal, whilst unsighted, he DID get his hand to it and should have been stronger

this guys going to be our undoing

He's still considerably better than Langfield.

Safe to say Adam Collin is going to be the most misspelled name in Dons history.

Of the 6 goals Scott Brown has conceded, maybe one, two at a push, he could have done a lot better with. Everyone wants to change the goalkeeper though and not the defence, who have been conceding goals for fun all season. Brown will be getting blamed for the 5-1 defeat to St Johnstone soon too.

As for 90/91, think Rangers were 8 points clear when they came to Pittodrie (equivilant of 12 these days) and Gillhaus scored the winner in the last minute. We had a game in hand too I think.

Here's the goal here. Quick shot of the epic bounce too. Was the first time I ever saw the place go properly mental at a goal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S4XJTsTIpTE

We'd had a poor January, losing three times, but went on to pick up 23 points out of a possible 24, (2 points for a win) including the above win over Rangers, Celtic, and putting 9 goals past Hearts virtue of thumping them home and away.

I don't remember a huge amount about the build up (I was 9), but I remember there was a fair bit of controversy. Firstly, no-one could believe it wasn't going to be on the telly. Secondly, we wanted the whole of the Broomloan but they wouldn't give us it, but gave us the lower deck (there were photos of the Aberdeen end posted on Twitter the other day funnily enough).

Edit: this should be the link https://mobile.twitter.com/bytheminafc/status/696498418747891715

In addition, did Aberdeen not infuriate everyone with the ticket sales? Something like they did away with the voucher system and instead only season ticket holders could buy, meaning many fans who had been to every home game that season (me) and many who had travelled to all the away games (not me) missed out? Also recall it was a maximum of two tickets each, so groups weren't sat together which meant the atmosphere wasn't too hot in the Dons end, but this might have been school talk - I wasn't there.

Back then the radio commentary had this wierd thing where the live coverage only started in the last 5 mins of the first half, then whole of the second half. I'd spent every away game that season following it on teletext so did the same again hoping it would be lucky. Funny to think now that's how I followed probably the biggest game that I can remember in our history (I was 2 for Gothenburg so don't have any memories of that).

• Upvote 1