#1 OFFLINE   BWG

BWG

#TopDon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,405 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:32 AM

I see Barry Fry is still trying to engineer this move.

https://www.eveninge...05eea_story__1/

I ken fuck all about either of them but they seem like two players that had potential at one point and are now either stagnating at a shit club or have blown it.

#2 OFFLINE   StandFree1982

StandFree1982

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,945 posts
  • Joined 29-May 09

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:40 AM

I ken fuck all about either of them but they seem like two players that had potential at one point and are now either stagnating at a shit club or have blown it.

Nicky Maynard comes to mind...

#3 ONLINE   boboisared

boboisared

Part-timer

• Members
  • 14,762 posts
  • Joined 28-August 06

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, very much appears so.

:roids: The Official AFC-Chat 'Lay Off The Roids' Club - In conjunction with Tup's Corner   :roids:

• Peterheid Loon - Review never
  • Sheepish Kev - Review once he has his dream of Rangers being back in the top flight of Scottish football.
  • Tyrant - Review once he superglues a dildo to someone's car bonnet.
  • Tup - Once he apologises to Brian from Bergen for his reaction to him offering genuine advice ahead of his big date.

Folk Dayts is intolerant of

• ​Polish accordionists
  • Pro Independence folk
  • Folk trying to make other folk aware of cancer
  • Those God damn Arabs
  • Joggers who don't wear jeans
  • Shoplifters
  • Lads

#4 ONLINE   Henry

Henry

Chief Executive

• Members
  • 16,034 posts
  • Joined 16-January 06

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

Barry Fry and Steve Evans

Fuck that. 

#5 OFFLINE   Tord31

Tord31

Chief Executive

• Members
  • 15,757 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:01 AM

i'll make a sweeping assumption and say McInnes probably happy to string this one along for a bit while pursuing players out of contract in the first instance (McGeouch, O'Connor, Mulumbu etc).

COYR!

#6 OFFLINE   BWG

BWG

#TopDon

• Members
  • 10,405 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

Think I'd rather drop 200K on these two than keep O'Connor.

#7 OFFLINE   Betty Swallicks

Betty Swallicks

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,673 posts
  • Joined 03-June 09

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:49 AM

I wonder how much they want for them but I doubt 200k would cover them both.

English football is nuts transfer money wise.

#8 OFFLINE   RAZOR

RAZOR

Bird > Word

• Members
  • 23,629 posts
  • Joined 08-June 09

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:07 AM

Oft. Jesus.

'parkrun isn't about convenience, it's a way of life.' - dave_min

#9 OFFLINE   Studebaker-90

Studebaker-90

Under 19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 09-May 18

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

First time posting on here so go easy.

After looking on the Peterborough fan forums they don't look overly bothered about losing either of them.  Baldwin in particular getting a bit of stick for being shite. 

Surely to fuck we should be setting our heights higher than a couple of league 1 rejects and even worse actually paying a transfer fee for the privilege.

Just seems to be too much of a risk, £200k-£300k is a significant amount to be paying for potential duds.  

#10 OFFLINE   strachanmcgheegoal

strachanmcgheegoal

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  • Joined 29-September 11

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

Parkhead O'Connor or seemingly everywhere else including parkhead except the last time O'Connor?

Edited by strachanmcgheegoal, 23 May 2018 - 11:31 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   BWG

BWG

#TopDon

• Members
  • 10,405 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

Parkhead O'Connor or seemingly everywhere else including parkhead except the last time O'Connor?

Just a complete fluke that. O'Connor will never replicate that level of performance again.

#12 OFFLINE   Kiriakov33

Kiriakov33

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Joined 22-March 17

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:52 AM

First time posting on here so go easy.

After looking on the Peterborough fan forums they don't look overly bothered about losing either of them.  Baldwin in particular getting a bit of stick for being shite. 

Surely to fuck we should be setting our heights higher than a couple of league 1 rejects and even worse actually paying a transfer fee for the privilege.

Just seems to be too much of a risk, £200k-£300k is a significant amount to be paying for potential duds.  

There is one thing setting our sights higher.. its another thing completely in being able to afford it. As another poster mentioned the money in the lower leagues of England is mental. It makes the fact that we are reluctant to tap into the overseas market even more frustrating.

#13 OFFLINE   Studebaker-90

Studebaker-90

Under 19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 09-May 18

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:44 PM

There is one thing setting our sights higher.. its another thing completely in being able to afford it. As another poster mentioned the money in the lower leagues of England is mental. It makes the fact that we are reluctant to tap into the overseas market even more frustrating.

It really is impossible to tell how good they are but id imagine if they were any good Peterborough would be trying to keep them rather than trying to manufacture a deal to get rid.  Or other teams from championship would be in for them.  Agree with what you're saying about overseas players, Deek obviously only knows UK & Ireland (Even then he can get it spectacularly wrong).

#14 OFFLINE   StandFree1982

StandFree1982

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,945 posts
  • Joined 29-May 09

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

It really is impossible to tell how good they are but id imagine if they were any good Peterborough would be trying to keep them rather than trying to manufacture a deal to get rid.  Or other teams from championship would be in for them.  Agree with what you're saying about overseas players, Deek obviously only knows UK & Ireland (Even then he can get it spectacularly wrong).

And here was me thinking that sending a scout down to watch them would have been a good way of finding out how good they were. How wrong I was. 

#15 ONLINE   redone

redone

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Joined 18-November 06

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

If you look back six months on this forum you'll find a helluva lot of posters were saying much the same about Kenny McLean.

#16 OFFLINE   Studebaker-90

Studebaker-90

Under 19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 09-May 18

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:46 PM

If you look back six months on this forum you'll find a helluva lot of posters were saying much the same about Kenny McLean.

They were wrong obviously and if we do end up signing Forrester/Baldwin I hope that i am wrong as well.

#17 OFFLINE   SupportmeansSUPPORT

SupportmeansSUPPORT

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Joined 09-August 08

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:50 PM

And here was me thinking that sending a scout down to watch them would have been a good way of finding out how good they were. How wrong I was. 

the problem is you can send a scout to watch them play a few games and they may play well in those games but that doesn't necessarily mean you know how good they are. If you watched O'Connor on the last day of the season you would think he was a very decent defender but if you watch him on other days that probably wouldn't be the verdict. Even Ash Taylor had some good days where a scout might have watched and though he had potential.

If you watched Christie for us at the end of the season you would think he was a poor player but if you watched him at start of the season you would see a player with serious potential. if you watch Mclean early season you would think he was average but watch him for other parts of the season and you think he is a really good player.

And trying to sign those who are consistently good every week is a struggle as the chances are there will be teams with bigger budgets who will be able to offer more than us. 

#18 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy

fine-n-dandy

Troll

• Members
  • 27,156 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

the problem is you can send a scout to watch them play a few games and they may play well in those games but that doesn't necessarily mean you know how good they are. If you watched O'Connor on the last day of the season you would think he was a very decent defender but if you watch him on other days that probably wouldn't be the verdict. Even Ash Taylor had some good days where a scout might have watched and though he had potential.

If you watched Christie for us at the end of the season you would think he was a poor player but if you watched him at start of the season you would see a player with serious potential. if you watch Mclean early season you would think he was average but watch him for other parts of the season and you think he is a really good player.

And trying to sign those who are consistently good every week is a struggle as the chances are there will be teams with bigger budgets who will be able to offer more than us. 

I think it is fairly safe to assume that the scout we send to watch players is fkn shite, blind, or taking bungs because he hasn't found us any decent unknowns

Maybe they'll take Tansey in a swap deal lol. One shite midfielder for two. They end up with less shite than us, so could be happy to deal

Ding Dong

#19 OFFLINE   GDON21

GDON21

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Joined 27-September 16

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

I don't read too much in to what Peterborough fans think of a player tbh. Plenty players with better reputations have came up here and been terrible and plenty players with not great reputations have done well.

Down south in the lower leagues is a completely different style of football to up here and maybe the manager feels these two would fit in better up here. Folk shouldn't be writing them off because of what some Peterborough fans have said after a disappointing season for their club overall. Forrester was captain and then Baldwin took over when he returned from injury. They are both at an age where they can definitely improve.

Apparently Peterborough transfer list all players with one year left on there contract who refuse to sign extensions.

However I am sure we as a club enquire about a lot of players at this time of the season. We will then weigh up the financial costs involved and how much we want the player. I don't think these two are stick on signings that McInnes desperately wants unlike McGeouch and Jordan Jones. It just so happens that there Chairman and Director of Football cant keep their mouth shut and discuss business all over social media and the press.

#20 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy

fine-n-dandy

Troll

• Members
  • 27,156 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:44 PM

I'm writing them off because for one thing our scout has been pretty much shite up to now, or McInnes has been a very poor judge for the most part.

Slim chance they will be decent going by previous but silly season & hope & you never knows will have many believing each unkown we are linked with 'just needs the right club' or ' league'

Some think Tony Watt would be a good signing for example lol

Ding Dong

#21 OFFLINE   BWG

BWG

#TopDon

• Members
  • 10,405 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:49 PM

Was it not Peterborough that Killie got thon striker from that they sold for nearly a million?

It's quite possible that they are just a shit show of a club and that the players just need the right environment, however I echo the sentiments of FnD and I have zero faith in our scouts ability to determine that based on last summers dross.

Edited by BWG, 23 May 2018 - 03:50 PM.

#22 OFFLINE   GDON21

GDON21

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Joined 27-September 16

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:55 PM

Was it not Peterborough that Killie got thon striker from that they sold for nearly a million?

It's quite possible that they are just a shit show of a club and that the players just need the right environment, however I echo the sentiments of FnD and I have zero faith in our scouts ability to determine that based on last summers dross.

In all honesty though how much say did the scout(is it Russ Richardson?) have in last summers signings. They all seemed like McInnes signings tbh with the exception of maybe Dom Ball. They were all players who I would Imagine were ear marked by McInnes. You don't know who else the scout suggested to the manager and were subsequently turned down. The blame for last seasons transfers is laid at the managers door IMO and he has admitted that himself.

#23 OFFLINE   Millertime

Millertime

Chairman

• Members
  • 31,219 posts
  • Joined 14-January 06

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

THAT'S why players are scouted for months mate, maybe a year

Not 3 games

#24 OFFLINE   BWG

BWG

#TopDon

• Members
  • 10,405 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:11 PM

In all honesty though how much say did the scout(is it Russ Richardson?) have in last summers signings. They all seemed like McInnes signings tbh with the exception of maybe Dom Ball. They were all players who I would Imagine were ear marked by McInnes. You don't know who else the scout suggested to the manager and were subsequently turned down. The blame for last seasons transfers is laid at the managers door IMO and he has admitted that himself.

Well considering he said "I have to listen to my scouts" when he signed Cosgrove I think it's fair to assume that the bulk of the signings are on the recommendation of Richardson and co.

The blame ultimately lies with McInnes though, that's correct.  He's paid to recruit good players and he completely failed to do so last season.

Edited by BWG, 23 May 2018 - 05:12 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   Ernie McCracken

Ernie McCracken

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts
  • Joined 19-January 06

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

I like how Barry Fry has gone from "Aberdeen can't afford them" to "we're only looking for a reasonable fee".

Fry is pushing this to promote the goods that he has on offer. Would be surprised if they end up here tbh.
Bryce, I gotta get bigger man

#26 OFFLINE   spamspamspam

spamspamspam

Spamfuckingtastic

• Members
  • 10,548 posts
  • Joined 18-January 11

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:36 PM

There's no denying our 'scouting network' is utter fucking gash, always has been but I doubt they had anything to do with Woodman, Ball, GMS, Arnison, Maynard, May, Stewart, Christie or Tansey. All those bar Arnison have McInnes written all over them. Know SPL/SPFL quantities or players he's worked with before.

The only players to come in that woud've required scouting are Nwakali and Cosgrove. 1 was utter shite, the other looks like he might have some potential. 

Tiger style

#27 OFFLINE   BWG

BWG

#TopDon

• Members
  • 10,405 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

Barry Fry just comes across like a fucking used car salesman.

#28 OFFLINE   V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta

Director of Football

• Members
  • 10,545 posts
  • Joined 30-June 11

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

Yeah a shite 80's used car salesman.

It's embarrassing some of the dinosaurs we have up here in Scottish football but fuck me the English game is full of absolute fucknuggets.

#29 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy

fine-n-dandy

Troll

• Members
  • 27,156 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

Cillit Bang

Ding Dong

#30 OFFLINE   V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta

Director of Football

• Members
  • 10,545 posts
  • Joined 30-June 11

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

Isn't that Barry Scott?

(Just left the Sevco board)