Hopefully Belgium bring them back down to earth...
Strategically it could be easier (on paper) to advance further in the tournament by finishing second in that group.
Would be funny since England and Belgium are tied on points and GD if both teams decided to rest key players.
If the game ends in a draw it could be decided by fair play conduct or even by drawing lots.
Here are the tie-break scenarios for rankings in the groups:
- Greatest number of points
- Goal difference in all group matches
- Goals scored in all group matches
If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings shall be determined as follows:
- Greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned
- Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned
- Greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned
- Greater number of points obtained regarding fair play conduct (yellow cards = -1, indirect red card (as a result of a second yellow card) = -3, direct red card = -4, yellow card and direct red = -5, with only one of the deductions applied to a player in a single game)
- Drawing of lots by FIFA