Away Goals Scrapped

42 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

Does "from the start of next season" mean 2021/22 or 2022/23?

This will mean lots more ties going to extra time.

Looks like this season. From the UEFA website...

Following the recommendation of the UEFA Club Competitions Committee and the UEFA Women’s Football Committee, the UEFA Executive Committee has today approved a proposal to remove the so-called away goals rule from all UEFA club competitions (men, women and youth) as of the qualifying phases of the 2021/22 competitions.

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

This is a great decision. Think with the way football is played now it has just made home teams even more negative in knock out games.

The only time this rule has ever been ok, was in the UEFA Cup 2007/08 1st round. 

How is this a great decision? All that will happen now is the away team in the 1st leg will go even more defensive knowing that if they get a 0-0 they potentially have 120 minutes in their home leg to go through.

Its a total nonsense from UEFA as per usual 

1 hour ago, torry_battery_ram said:

How is this a great decision? All that will happen now is the away team in the 1st leg will go even more defensive knowing that if they get a 0-0 they potentially have 120 minutes in their home leg to go through.

Its a total nonsense from UEFA as per usual 

Have to say that’s the way I see it too.  And I won’t put it past UEFA to decide the seeded side are automatic 2nd leggers as well, same as the play offs in this country.

12 hours ago, Yorston Vasey said:

Bin extra time, straight to penalties.

10 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

Makes sense to me. If you can't separate teams over 180 mins, what good is another 30?

Aye, thought the exact same myself.

Another 30 is pointless, and 90 min each at home is fairer if tied.

Def straight to pens should be.

13 hours ago, Durrant Dived said:

Only lost on away goals 5 times, whilst winning on away goals twice. Last loss on away goals was to Bohemians so nothing recent at all. 

Gothenburg European Cup QF was a cunt.

And MHD said fuck all about whether the shit was recent or not, so not sure the point of you adding that in.
In other words, there wasn't one.

8 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I'd rather we keep the extra time. It worked out very well for us in May 1983. Had we went straight to penalties I'm not at all convinced the result would have been the same.

I agree we should keep extra-time like for all cup ties that are just one off games like domestic cups, all cup finals, World Cup and Euros knock-out games. But any home and away two leg ties I think it's fair to scrap extra-time and just go straight to penalties.

• Upvote 1

i never thought that the rule should have applied to extra time as that gave the away side a huge advantage it would have worked better only applying to normal time.

Glad to see the back of it though as it did seem a bit dated and might help cut out the time wasting from the away teams as soon as they score 

On 6/25/2021 at 11:25 PM, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Why? 

All I think it’ll do is make home teams more attack-minded as the away team scoring isn’t as important as it was.

Flip side is the away team won’t be as attack-minded.

There will be more games going to extra-time & penalties now. 

Why do I think it will benefit bigger teams or why do I think everything UEFA does is to favour the bigger teams?

Assuming the 2nd is a given, then the first follows as sure as night follows day. QED.

To get into the specifics, a smaller team playing defensively is more likely to get tight results in their favour than high goal scoring results.