Aberdeen Crimewatch

Henry

Middlesbrough version

Jail for man who served up unsavoury claim in bid to get free meal at eatery5 Jun 2013 10:55

Fraudster pulled out his own pubic hair at Indian restaurant in Middlesbrough and put it on the remains of his meal

A fraudster who pulled out his own pubic hair at an Indian restaurant and put it on the remains of his lamb bhuna to get the meal for free has been jailed.

Lee Tyers was caught on CCTV putting his hands down the front of his trousers as he sat at a table in Jamal’s restaurant in Middlesbrough town centre.

The 40-year-old then claimed to restaurant staff that he had found the hair in his food - to get out of paying the £39.55 bill.

Eatery owner Jamal Chowdhury told the court that he had known Tyers, of Mount Leven Road, Yarm, as a customer for around 18 years, but that Tyers owed him £110 at the time of the November 10 visit for unpaid previous meals.

But he said he made it clear to Tyers when he entered the Corporation Road restaurant that he would serve him as long as he paid for that night’s meal - with no intention of claiming back the earlier debt.

Tyers assured the owner he had the cash to pay, before he and a friend ordered two lamb bhunas plus pilau rice, naan bread, drinks, a chapati and a shish kebab.

The pair ate their meal - then Tyers called over a waiter to complain about the hair in his food.

After some discussion, the pair left the restaurant without paying.

Mr Chowdhury said: “I told him all the staff have black hair and this is brown - it’s not our hair.

“I told him if you pay for the meal now I will look at the CCTV video and if I find there’s something wrong I will pay him back.

“I told him ‘If you don’t pay, I’ll call the police’. I said ‘You’re trying to ruin my business’.”

Speaking to the court as a witness in his own defence, Tyers claimed his friend was the one paying the bill that night, and that Mr Chowdhury would not accept the payment,instead insisting on the full amount owed from Tyers’ previous visits. He denied the incident over the hair took place.

Tyers’ friend, also giving evidence to the court, backed up this claim, saying he “tried to pay three times” but it was declined. He said: “He (Mr Chowdhury) said he wanted a-hundred-and-something pounds, and I said ‘that’s nowt to do with me’.”

Alex Bousfield, defending, said there was no physical evidence of the hair as the plate was not kept for police.

Following his arrest two days after the incident, Tyers answered all the questions put to him by police with “no response”.

Tyers denied a charge of fraud by false representation but was found guilty by magistrates at Teesside Magistrates’ Court.

Prosecutor David Ward said Mr Chowdhury was a “nice man” whose good nature had been taken advantage of.

He added: “If Mr Chowdhury was offered £39.55, why wouldn’t he take it? There’s nothing on the CCTV that shows anybody trying to pay.”

Tyers was sentenced to two weeks’ in jail. Magistrates said they had found Mr Chowdhury to be “consistent and credible in giving his evidence”.

Tyers was also ordered to pay £39.55 compensation.

A man has been charged under the Terrorism Act in Aberdeen.

Yousif Mohamed El Fatih Yousif Badri was charged under Section 58 of the Act, which relates to the possession, recording and collecting of information pertaining to terrorism.
The 28-year-old, whose address was given as Aberdeen, made no plea or declaration when he appeared at the city's Sheriff Court on Monday.
Mr Badri was arrested in Aberdeen on Thursday June 6. He was held at a high-security area of Glasgow's Govan police station following his arrest.
He was remanded in custody and will appear in court again next week.

Thousands of pounds worth of exotic fish have been stolen from an Aberdeenshire pond.

The fish – including Koi Carp - were taken between 4pm on Saturday and 10.30am on Sunday.
A spokeswoman for Police Scotland said: “Police Scotland is appealing for witnesses after a quantity of fish worth a low four-figure sum of money were stolen from an address in Mintlaw in Aberdeenshire.”
Anyone with information can contact police on 101 of Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Police in Aberdeen are investigating acts of vandalism which were carried out on Labour and Conservative Party constituency offices at the weekend.

The letter "Q" [for "Quisling" or "traitor"] was daubed on the front door of both offices, in Rosemount Street and West Mount Street, in the city.

This is not the first time in recent months that these premises have been vandalised. But Lewis Macdonald, the north-east Labour MSP, said he was furious about this latest incident.

He declared: “Political disagreements should be raised in debate and settled at elections. Only political cowards use vandalism instead of argument.

"The thugs who attack parliamentary offices are disrespecting the electorate and attacking democracy, and deserve to feel the full force of the law.”

His party colleague Richard Baker added: “Only the most rabid nationalists would accuse Labour MSPs of being traitors because we oppose separating Scotland from the rest of the UK.

"This kind of political vandalism has to be nipped in the bud or else it will pose a real threat to the whole of the referendum campaign.”

A Police Scotland spokeswoman confirmed to STV: "We have received a complaint and inquiries are ongoing."

Mark McDonald, the newly-elected MSP for Aberdeen Donside, responded: "I think vandalism of any sort is to be condemned irrespective of the premises it is committed against."

http://local.stv.tv/aberdeen/news/230588-police-are-probing-attacks-on-labour-and-tory-constituency-offices/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• 2 weeks later...

A man is set to appear in court after police seized crack cocaine and heroin with a street value in excess of £8500 in Aberdeen.

The drugs were discovered in the Bridge of Don area of the city by officers on a routine patrol.

As a result, a 42-year-old man from the London area has been reported in connection with the supply of controlled drugs.

He is expected to appear at Aberdeen Sheriff Court on Monday following the recovery at Balgownie Drive, Aberdeen, on Saturday.

Sergeant Andy Machray, of the Bridge of Don Community Policing Team, said: "Our local officers are committed to tackling the supply of controlled drugs and keeping people safe. This latest recovery means that more dangerous drugs have been taken off our streets."

Area Commander Chief Inspector Nick Topping said: "We will continue to listen to the needs of the community and the success we have in targeting drug dealers is down to the good work between the police and members of the public.

"We will continue to target anti-social behaviour in our communities and I would urge people to tell us about those involved in criminal behaviour so those responsible can be brought to justice."

Anyone on here 42 years old and from London?

A man has been served with an Asbo preventing him from entering Aberdeen's Union Street while under the influence of alcohol for the next year.

Cameron Mitchell, a former offshore worker from Turriff, received the Anti Social Behaviour Order at Aberdeen Sheriff Court after committing a string of violent assaults while he was drunk.
Mitchell struck Emma Crohn in the face at a fast food restaurant on Union Street - the city's main thoroughfare - on June 19 and also assaulted Adam Smith by punching him in the face.
He was also found guilty of assaulting Connor Gardner on February 12, again on Union Street.
Sheriff Peter Hammond decided against a custodial sentence for Mitchell, whose address was given as 5 Seggat Cottages, Auchterless, Turriff, but served him with a community payback order with a supervision element of two years.
He was also ordered to carry out 210 hours of unpaid work over the next nine months.
The Sheriff further imposed an Asbo on Mitchell, which requires him not to engage in violence or enter any part of Union Street while under the influence of alcohol, for the next 12 months.

Police in Aberdeen are investigating acts of vandalism which were carried out on Labour and Conservative Party constituency offices at the weekend.

The letter "Q" [for "Quisling" or "traitor"] was daubed on the front door of both offices, in Rosemount Street and West Mount Street, in the city.

This is not the first time in recent months that these premises have been vandalised. But Lewis Macdonald, the north-east Labour MSP, said he was furious about this latest incident.

He declared: “Political disagreements should be raised in debate and settled at elections. Only political cowards use vandalism instead of argument.

"The thugs who attack parliamentary offices are disrespecting the electorate and attacking democracy, and deserve to feel the full force of the law.”

His party colleague Richard Baker added: “Only the most rabid nationalists would accuse Labour MSPs of being traitors because we oppose separating Scotland from the rest of the UK.

"This kind of political vandalism has to be nipped in the bud or else it will pose a real threat to the whole of the referendum campaign.”

A Police Scotland spokeswoman confirmed to STV: "We have received a complaint and inquiries are ongoing."

Mark McDonald, the newly-elected MSP for Aberdeen Donside, responded: "I think vandalism of any sort is to be condemned irrespective of the premises it is committed against."

Ah, blame the nutternats...

Would never have anything to do with the way Labour have behaved both in this city and around Scotland. nothing to do with their lies, broken promises and vote hoorin they do before getting in and doing nothing they said they would.

Obviously the Conservative Party is so liked in Scotland that when some kid/idiot decided to paint a bit of graffiti calling out one MSP they might as well do the other along the road.

Not saying it wasnt some jumped up nationalist nutter, I've read plenty from a few lately and I wouldnt put it past them but you'd think a member of parliament would know not to point fingers without evidence.

SEVEN North-east men have been investigated for alleged puppy farming after a crackdown, the Evening Express can reveal today.

The Scottish SPCA confirmed the men from the Aberdeenshire area will now be reported to the Procurator Fiscal.

It follows a lengthy investigation by officers, who have been cracking down on illegal puppy farming across Scotland and the UK.

Has anyone on here been boasting about having an unusual number of puppies? :sherlock:

Does anyone know how that murder in Westhill ever turned out, the one where he killed her by accident in some sex game and dumped the body, last I heard he was out on appeal but that was years ago, not heard anything since.

Word has it he rammed a baseball bat up her arse.

That's going to more than 1st base as they say in America.

Police have renewed a dangerous drug warning after a fresh batch of fake ecstasy pills was found in Aberdeen.

The tablets are linked to those believed to have caused the deaths of seven people across Scotland over the past two months and contained the same toxic chemical PMA.

PMA is also known as Dr Death as it causes hallucinogenic and intoxicating effects but can also cause complications that can kill those who have ingested it.

Earlier this week an 18-year-old from West Dunbartonshire became the latest person to die after taking the drug. The pills in the Glasgow area were green in colour and stamped with a distinctive Rolex logo. It is believed the Aberdeen pills are a similar colour but stamped with a Heineken logo.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/232538-killer-ecstasy-pills-found-in-aberdeen-amid-t-in-the-park-warnings/