Marley Watkins

1 hour ago, shut up meg said:

So in short, if this boy works out, we should track down the ICT scout from 2010 to 2015 and get him to replace Russ Richardson.

Tbf we did try to sign him when he went out of contract at Caley. That he chose Barnsley ahead of us just shows the decline in Scottish football over the past 20-25 years

Interesting piece from Duncan Shearer in today's P&J, regarding Watkins, from a man who will have worked with him at ICT, or at least been part of the background coaching staff.

Says he's not a player who likes to play with his back to goal, and is more effective running at players, but his inclusion may suggest a change in direction in terms of how we line up in the future; more of a 4-3-3, or even a 3-4-3.

A shift away from Derek's 4-2-3-1 would be no bad thing.

2 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I was quite impressed with his debut given his lack of training the last 6 months and lack of games over the last 2 years.

I'm calling it now that he outlives all of Main, Anderson, Cosgrove and Edmondson at AFC.

I was wondering if there may be an option for him in January (assuming we sell Cosgrove)

3 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I was quite impressed with his debut given his lack of training the last 6 months and lack of games over the last 2 years.

I'm calling it now that he outlives all of Main, Anderson, Cosgrove and Edmondson at AFC.

He trained and occasionally played for Bristol City in the end to their 19/20 season from mid June to mid July 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

There is still bags of time until January but we should be having a look at him as a winger and as an attacking midfielder before considering signing him. Given he is 30 and coming from the English Championship I'd guess he is on relatively big money. 

Maybe not as much as you think. I'm sure there was nobody in the ICT side he played for on more than £1500/week. So when Barnsley snapped him up, they wouldn't have had to fork out a lot in order to make the move tempting for him....stick a grand a week on top of his ICT wages and the loon would have been pretty happy I think. The move he got to Norwich  would  certainly have earned him a wage rise on that, maybe doubled it.  And when he moved on to Bristol for a million a year later, it would have increased again to reflect the transfer fee. But that still only leaves him on around somewhere around £8k/week and as has ben pointed out, he's just turned 30, by the time his contract runs out next summer he will be closer to 31. His next contract won't be for as much wherever he ends up. 

I agree that we need to take a look at him in the role Wright has been performing so far this season....the loon quite obviously isn't an out an out striker. Who knows if he would be interested in moving back up to Scotland permanently next summer anyway. Might come down to who can offer him the biggest signing on fee and he could easily get what we can pay at an EFL1 club without the hassle of moving 500 miles north.

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Maybe not as much as you think. I'm sure there was nobody in the ICT side he played for on more than £1500/week. So when Barnsley snapped him up, they wouldn't have had to fork out a lot in order to make the move tempting for him....stick a grand a week on top of his ICT wages and the loon would have been pretty happy I think. The move he got to Norwich  would  certainly have earned him a wage rise on that, maybe doubled it.  And when he moved on to Bristol for a million a year later, it would have increased again to reflect the transfer fee. But that still only leaves him on around somewhere around £8k/week and as has ben pointed out, he's just turned 30, by the time his contract runs out next summer he will be closer to 31. His next contract won't be for as much wherever he ends up. 

A lot of if buts and maybes there to come to your conclusions, TC. 

He went for £1M in a Championship to Championship transfer. All bets are on him being on £10k/week.

I'm not sure that was anything to do with my initial point. If we are offering him 3k, 4k, 5k, 6k etc it doesn't matter he's going to need to prove he can make a big contribution in another position. Based on his #9 capabilities it's heading towards a thanks for everything but we can't afford you.

10 minutes ago, CalgaryDon said:

I genuinely thought he was our best player.

Wow. That is a stark difference of opinions. In my opinion he done fuck all and the Hamilton, yes Hamilton defenders dominated him. 

To be honest, although Edmondson scored twice, I don’t think he was much better.

Maybe I just expect too much.  

21 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Thought he was tidy in possession, but once Edmondson went off he became ineffectual. 

Happy for him to play but it needs to be in behind the striker, not the main man.

Edmondson was a curious one.

Up until he scored his first goal I thought he looked cumbersome & slow.

Took both his goals well.

Didn’t realise he’d never started a first team game before. 

• 3 weeks later...