Scotland u19s

If we are basing our scouting on FM ratings then it's embarrassing.

However, if we're simply using the database for particulars,like age, contract length/status, etc, then I reckon it's quite smart. Would there be a larger database of that type in existence?

It is a good question, assume all players must be registered with UEFA / FIFA /SFA etc You would think there must be a repository that clubs can access to see contract lengths etc

And if not how would FM know any better. Fair enough if Ronaldo comes out say’s he has signed a three year contract, but who the fuck is monitoring what contract a 21 year old winger at Nantes has signed.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a good question, assume all players must be registered with UEFA / FIFA /SFA etc You would think there must be a repository that clubs can access to see contract lengths etc

And if not how would FM know any better. Fair enough if Ronaldo comes out say’s he has signed a three year contract, but who the fuck is monitoring what contract a 21 year old winger at Nantes has signed.

FM, that's why we use the database... 

Fair enough I didn’t realise it was as sophisticated as that.

Still a bit sceptical though. You’re not going to be searching for a 5/10 average player and if some scout came out said somebody was amazing the top clubs would know about him surely.

Any chance Bebo can hack it and grossly inflate all our players values to 15m?

Every club in europe uses the same database for players as Football Manager. They don't literally go on the game and scout players. 

I don't think this is correct. Been at a lot of youth games and there really are scouts out there watching players so think it'll be similar/bigger at professional level.

Think they should have to earn it by playing more first team games. Not insane though. That's the aitkenrowie boy

I suppose my musing is coming from frustration as much as anything else.

But we somehow need to boost the chances of these young guys reaching their full potential, while there's a risk we give them too much too soon, I think it might be time to start bringing the best youngsters into the full squad regularly and even giving them a bit of game time if possible.

It might even help to bring these lads on for their clubs.

Is it insane to suggest to promoting up Gilmour and Hornby and any other of the better prospects from u21 and u19 now and just getting them in the squad?

I wouldn't say so, they may not be on that level but how many u19s and 21s games did the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo or Wayne Rooney play? Even someone like Rashford had only played a handful of games before England picked him, other nations seem less fearful of giving players a go, at an early age.

Ramos just played his 168th international at 33, he played for Spain at full level at 18 years old...so its not as if its just forward players.

Mbappe, Felix, Sancho - European football is filled with young players getting a chance and we're rubbish and making players 'earn' it.

Good enough, old enough used to be the adage.

The difference being guys like Ronaldo or Rooney were playing regular first team football at that age. Gilmour and Hornby (as the example used) have probably played less than 5 between them? So for me yes it's insane to suggest promoting them. 100% agree with the idea in general though for those in the U21/U19 that are playing fairly regularly, if there are any.

Gilmour has played for the Chelsea first team this season, it's the general principle that I wanted to highlight.

Essentially, that we rarely if ever give young players a chance.

I mean still picking guys like mulgrew and Hanley for the squad achieves what exactly?

I agree with you.

In a squad of 23 there's no excuse not to keep a few spaces for some of your best young talent.

Gilmour has played for the Chelsea first team this season, it's the general principle that I wanted to highlight.

Essentially, that we rarely if ever give young players a chance.

I mean still picking guys like mulgrew and Hanley for the squad achieves what exactly?

Agree on this but in a slightly different way.

It's not picking Mulgrew or Hanley exactly that's the issue imo.

It's that we completely ignore young players until they are about 26/27 then start capping them.

Players (mostly) need time to adapt at international level.

By the time our guys are proper internationals they are pushing 30 already.

Then they have about 1 campaign of being internationally experienced enough but also in their prime before they start to fade at that level.

It's a fucking nonsense way to work.

Get them in at least 4 years earlier and the same players might have 3 campaigns at their prime.

Agree on this but in a slightly different way.

It's not picking Mulgrew or Hanley exactly that's the issue imo.

It's that we completely ignore young players until they are about 26/27 then start capping them.

Players (mostly) need time to adapt at international level.

By the time our guys are proper internationals they are pushing 30 already.

Then they have about 1 campaign of being internationally experienced enough but also in their prime before they start to fade at that level.

It's a fucking nonsense way to work.

Get them in at least 4 years earlier and the same players might have 3 campaigns at their prime.

There does seem to be a serve your time philosophy to the way we do it compared to more successful countries.

Identify talent

Get them in

I would also say that part of the issue we have developing home made players, is easily summed up by the lad Cochrane at hearts.

Came in with a fanfare, made a monkey of Brown, got battered by brown next time out.

Scottish football laughs about it...

There does seem to be a serve your time philosophy to the way we do it compared to more successful countries.

Identify talent

Get them in

I would also say that part of the issue we have developing home made players, is easily summed up by the lad Cochrane at hearts.

Came in with a fanfare, made a monkey of Brown, got battered by brown next time out.

Scottish football laughs about it...

I think Cochrane is a smashing player. Should be in the Hearts team every week and kicking on. But Hearts have a manager who doesn't give a fuck about skilful midfield players or even playing football in midfield full stop. Wants physical guys in there to win battles for second balls.

Total mismanagement and typical of Scottish football