- we're no fit yet Correct

- same tactics/lineup as last two seasons Incorrect

- a'body knows how to play us Incorrect as above is incorrect

- as soon as we lose a number one choice defender, we concede Correct

- still need a keeper Incorrect

- still need creative midfielders. Incorrect

Anything new?

(rhetorical question)

We played a totally different formation to our usual 4-2-3-1.

As ever massive over reaction from people to last night. It was our first competitive match after only two pre season games. It was away and in the heat. We showed first half we were the better footballing team. Second half they stuck 3 up front and just lumped balls forward. I've no doubt fitness had a little to do with our slight drop as the match went on. Mcinnes put a team out to be solid with 5 in midfield with the three in the middle making sure we never got over run there and we never were.

Overall we're still well in the driving seat of the tie, had a good competitive run out and I'm sure we'll get through on Thursday.

Oh ok, I couldn't figure oot which was our actual formation and what was conjecture, I skipped a few pages. What did we do different?

Well it was a 4-4-1-1 with a much higher emphasis on sitting deeper than our usual 4 or 5 attacking players.

As ever massive over reaction from people to last night. It was our first competitive match after only two pre season games. It was away and in the heat. We showed first half we were the better footballing team. Second half they stuck 3 up front and just lumped balls forward. I've no doubt fitness had a little to do with our slight drop as the match went on. Mcinnes put a team out to be solid with 5 in midfield with the three in the middle making sure we never got over run there and we never were.

Overall we're still well in the driving seat of the tie, had a good competitive run out and I'm sure we'll get through on Thursday.

That didn't happen at all.

In the second half they put two up top and one behind, they then tried to break our offside trap playing short through balls. Luckily it did not work and any close offsides went in our favour but it was a dangerous game we played for 15 minutes or so. If anything the team that lumped balls forward was us up to Rooney going off.

So in conclusion:

- we're no fit yet

- same tactics/lineup as last two seasons

- a'body knows how to play us

- as soon as we lose a number one choice defender, we concede

- still need a keeper

- still need creative midfielders.

Anything new?

(rhetorical question)

Sorry Mr.John, Pudgie is going through a bad time just now. The moron doesn't understand 'rhetorical'

As you were.

• Upvote 1

Sorry Mr.John, Pudgie is going through a bad time just now. The moron doesn't understand 'rhetorical'

As you were.

The rhetorical question was "Anything new?". I addressed the points above the rhetorical question.

How thick are you @@RAZOR?

(rhetorical question)

;)

• Upvote 1

lol - I have no wish to offend, confuse or upset anyone.

Everyone, yes. But naebody specific.

But isn't 4-4-1-1 just another way of saying 4-2-3-1? I started throwing things at the TV when MOTD started listing some teams as playing 4-3-2-1 last season - it all comes down to how you view wide midfielders - are they wingers, side midfielders or attacking midfielders?

Since we all started playing FIFA or PES we've started getting anal for descriptions of player roles. What's the difference between an AMF and an SS? Comes down to how the team plays at the end of the day.

I could lecture at Universities about this shit. Anyone want to be put to sleep?

Anything new?

(rhetorical question)

The rhetorical question was "Anything new?". I addressed the points above the rhetorical question.

:clangers2:

Get over to Tups corner before its too late.

But isn't 4-4-1-1 just another way of saying 4-2-3-1? I started throwing things at the TV when MOTD started listing some teams as playing 4-3-2-1 last season - it all comes down to how you view wide midfielders - are they wingers, side midfielders or attacking midfielders?

Since we all started playing FIFA or PES we've started getting anal for descriptions of player roles. What's the difference between an AMF and an SS? Comes down to how the team plays at the end of the day.

I could lecture at Universities about this shit. Anyone want to be put to sleep?

I used to think similarly, that every formation was just a fancy variation of 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, but since then I've seen Scotland play with no strikers (cheers Levine) but the biggest revelation was seeing the way McInnes sets out a team. There's an incredible amount of importance put on each players positioning and roles, something I don't think we've seen at the club for a very long time. If we're to set out with attacking full backs, then the deeper midfielders will cover them whilst the attackers will have an eye on the middle of the park. If we're playing a 4-2-3-1 then the full backs will be more defensively minded and usually one wil get forward whilst the opposite will hang back and help out the defence along with one of the defensive midfielders.

I used to hate seeing managers with dossiers on the opposition and though "fuck me, just let them out there and get them playing fitba properly", but ever since seeing McInnes' team it's made me think that the team is much better with it. I think that in the past season or two it's taken individual mistakes or exceptional performances to beat us. I put that down to McInnes' preparation of the players and his tactical set up.

Pudgie, on 03 Jul 2015 - 2:20 PM, said:snapback.png

Pudgie, on 03 Jul 2015 - 3:15 PM, said:snapback.png

:clangers2:

Get over to Tups corner before its too late.

That was in reference to point two.

A lot of pass backs to our keeper last night & not to either side of the post but TOWARDS goal (defenders need a kick in arse for that) & I did get a little nervous every time this happened but I think that's just down to having witnessed Clangers dealing with ANY type of pass back.

22 year old keeper on his debut in Europa with a new side & our defenders are throwing that many pass backs at him??? He took them well enough but talk about putting the lad under pressure.

Laser pens would have been a major distraction for the lad also & I know Clangers would have bottled it completely under the pressure last night. Fk me he bottles it when someone throws a half eaten pie near him.

I think Ward coped well last night & I will give him a good few more games before I will judge him properly. Certainly not going to slate the lad after one game.

Don't get the criticism of Ward either, one mistake apart I thought he did fine.

Disappointed to concede the goal. Taylor wasn't close enough to him, giving him far too much space. I thought they were decent enough and seemed to size us up a bit. However, we would have done the same and I think we'll win next week.

Shinnie was the stand out for me, as accomplished in midfield as at full-back - great player.

Fuck that, Your patter is putting me to sleep as it is...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ANPjqNcuAxU

Niall McGinn goal for those of you yet to see it.

I think Ward did well under the circumstances - I can see him retaining his place in the team - he's looks strong with the ball at his feet and seems to communicate well with his defence - give him time to shine.

Shinnie looks like he's going to be a strong addition to our squad. Quinn will be a terrific signing - again give him time for those doubting him.

Confident McLean will be in for a great season - hoping he gets a start and goal next week. We really are building a strong team with some depth.