The Mckenna Dilemma

So DMc in the papers today saying that he's going to look at loan signings again which to me is short termist and a result of a terrible scouting policy but anyway...

If there's not the money there to buy players (and again AberDNA money notwithstanding) should he just not cash in on McKenna and have more than enough money to buy 5-8 of the best young players in Scotland, or a better wage structure to sign better players ? If, and I know it's a big if, the club were to get the, let's pull it out of our arses, magic figure of £5 million for McKenna that's surely more than enough to have a decent improvement to the squad to challenge for Europe and perm better domestically (as to whether it wins us anything domestically is another matter).

Buy Scotland's best young players and turn a profit when Engerlund come a calling...

So do you sell him and buy some better players or keep him and acquire loan signings that in the long term do nothing for us ?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I think it would be a good idea to buy a first choice centre back knocking presumably Devlin on to the bench. Then if Devlin turns out to be as good as he was before then push the button on selling McKenna.

If Devlin turns out to be shit or injured your not stuck playing Reynolds for the whole season.

Foolproof plan.

So DMc in the papers today saying that he's going to look at loan signings again which to me is short termist and a result of a terrible scouting policy but anyway...

If there's not the money there to buy players (and again AberDNA money notwithstanding) should he just not cash in on McKenna and have more than enough money to buy 5-8 of the best young players in Scotland, or a better wage structure to sign better players ? If, and I know it's a big if, the club were to get the, let's pull it out of our arses, magic figure of £5 million for McKenna that's surely more than enough to have a decent improvement to the squad to challenge for Europe and perm better domestically (as to whether it wins us anything domestically is another matter).

Buy Scotland's best young players and turn a profit when Engerlund come a calling...

So do you sell him and buy some better players or keep him and acquire loan signings that in the long term do nothing for us ?

Hes still young enough and under contract a good while yet that maybe this could be explored maybe this time next year. A full season under his belt of experience and more international games and that £5m might go upwards.

He seems like he real deal so lets expect another solid season coming up. Hopefully. ?

Hes still young enough and under contract a good while yet that maybe this could be explored maybe this time next year. A full season under his belt of experience and more international games and that £5m might go upwards.

He seems like he real deal so lets expect another solid season coming up. Hopefully.

Plus two, or maybe even FOUR Europa games

Milne selling McKenna on the cheap & McInnes being party to it (especially in any kind of deal involving Celtic) would most certainly be the final nails in their coffins at this club.

No way back from that.

Much as I would love to see the back of both of them, I hope it isn't at McKenna's (poor transfer business) expense

Talk of selling him for five mil & buying 5-8 of the best young talent in Scotland is just ridiculous.

For one thing, our clubs representatives couldn't be trusted with finding 5-8 of the best young talent in Scotland. Even if they were given first pick on ALL talent.

Even if he was playing for Patick, Accies etc. his value shouldn't be under stated in the slightest, much as some seem hell bent on doing.

YPotY, PotY, GotS, four international caps, MOTM in one (playing the majority whilst numerous others had bit parts) & also captaining his country (friendly or not) against a massive country like Mexico in their final preparations for going to the World Cup & in front of massive crowds is a huge season for any player, let alone one in basically his breakthrough season.

Whilst other 'potential stars' such as Hendry that Celtic have signed are just also rans.

Milne selling McKenna on the cheap & McInnes being party to it (especially in any kind of deal involving Celtic) would most certainly be the final nails in their coffins at this club.

No way back from that.

Milnes already gotten away with far worse than that

If we sell McKenna for 2.5 million, this club are worse than I thought.

10 million, and I'm actually being serious.

'We'll never get 10 million for him'. Why can't we? In a world where players are going for 200 million, and average goalkeepers for 30 million, explain to me why we can't request 10 million?

SCENARIO:

Aston Villa sign him for 2 million, he has 2 incredible seasons with them, do you really think Aston Villa are going to say 'yeah he's 4 million now'. Are they fuck, they will be screaming for 25 million.

Absolute nonsense to even suggest we can't push for a figure of that magnitude. Loser mentality. Pay up, or fuck off. He's a cracking player, he'll make mistakes - every defender does - but he'll get better.

Completely agree.

In fact if he went to Villa and played 1 incredible season they'd probably sell him for £20M - never mind 2 seasons.

I keep going back to it, but in a world where Sone Aluko is worth 8m we need to really be clever about how we deal with offers for good young players.

I agree, we shouldn't be looking at anything less than £4-5m for him. He has plenty years left on his contract, had an incredible season, captained his country and has a decent football brain aboot him. He has all the attributes of a great defender, yet no doubt we will snap someones hand off at a measly £1.5m offer, because 'a club like Aberdeen cant turn down that sort of money'. I personally think there is no dilemma. Either sell him for big bucks or build your team around him, but one thing is for sure, we need to start signing some fucking players and soon.

'We'll never get 10 million for him'. Why can't we? In a world where players are going for 200 million, and average goalkeepers for 30 million, explain to me why we can't request 10 million?

SCENARIO:

Aston Villa sign him for 2 million, he has 2 incredible seasons with them, do you really think Aston Villa are going to say 'yeah he's 4 million now'. Are they fuck, they will be screaming for 25 million.

Absolute nonsense to even suggest we can't push for a figure of that magnitude. Loser mentality. Pay up, or fuck off. He's a cracking player, he'll make mistakes - every defender does - but he'll get better.

Totally agree

SCENARIO:

100% agreed.

Don't even contact us with any kind of low/single digit million offer

Also we would have to insist on at least at 25-30% sell on clause on top of that.

That said, it wouldn't really surprise me to see us bend over & accept a low single digit mils offer with said sell on clause, in hope that the sell on clause could help to eventually take us into the double digit mils figure we should be hoping for in first place.

Main thing is though. We really do not need to sell him for low millions.

He's worth far more to us than that by keeping him.

We should ONLY be starting to 'consider' selling him if we are being offered up to & into double digits mils offers. Otherwise, fk right off.