Latest Purchase Thread

Big Man

Speaking of coffee, the wife got me a coffee machine for Chrimbo. You can use beans or ground coffee, I have been favouring the former so far.. it has a timer, so I set it up so coffee is ready for me in the morning.

And so going down the stairs at the back of 6am, I am greeted with the welcoming aroma of fresh coffee waiting for me. Truly, this is living.

Going along the M80 at 15 mph this morning (due to snow) the coffee made it almost bearable.

Had another wee trip to Valhallas goat yesterday. Went for some German and Belgian options - paulaner, Schneider Weiss, st stefanus, Maisel Weiss, augusteiner and something else which I cant remember

Haven't been in there in a while, this living in the sticks is depressing!

I learned that Hippo Beers has shut down :( (apparently last July!)

Yup, was always my go to shop for trying new ales.

They'd also opened a pub on Sauchiehall street which i never made it to, which is also closed.

Shame about Hippo, they done a lot of distribution as well.

There is a shop called "Grunting Growler" down beside Brewdog on the old Dumbarton Road, also a new(ish) shop called Wee Beer Shop beside Queens park. Anyone been to these? Down in the weeg next weekend so might check them out.

• Upvote 1

Haven't been in there in a while, this living in the sticks is depressing!

I learned that Hippo Beers has shut down :( (apparently last July!)

Yeah. Just shut down one day, with little warning. I dont know if the pub venture didnt work out and ruined them. Some spirits place there now I think.

Tbh, the shop and pub venues arent/werent great spots

There is a shop called "Grunting Growler" down beside Brewdog on the old Dumbarton Road, also a new(ish) shop called Wee Beer Shop beside Queens park. Anyone been to these? Down in the weeg next weekend so might check them out.

My mate has been to grunting growler a lot, and likes it.

Ive never been to the wee beer shop, but not far from there is

http://marchtown.co.uk

Which does lots of beers etc. The guy who runs it is quite excitable about beers etc. Been a couple of times, and always has new stock in.

I dont know if they are linked together (the beer shop and matchtown)

And close to there is the Allison arms, which has two big fridges full of good beers

@@Redforever86

• Upvote 1

Yup, was always my go to shop for trying new ales.

They'd also opened a pub on Sauchiehall street which i never made it to, which is also closed.

I didnt manage to try the pub either, but I liked their shop.

Loved their range of German pils, they even had Rothaus Pils at times. I first encountered that in Freiburg (near the black forest) so was delighted to see it pop up in glasgow of all places.

Anyway Hippo is a sad loss.

Thanks for those tips, I will try to check out at least the dumbarton road one.

Years ago there used to be a shop "little germany" in grangemouth, but it was already shut down by the time I had heard of it!

Yeah. Just shut down one day, with little warning. I dont know if the pub venture didnt work out and ruined them. Some spirits place there now I think.

Tbh, the shop and pub venues arent/werent great spots

Good point, you would really need to know it was there on queen margaret drive - and quite a small store so lots of folk probably drove past it unawares.

My mate used to work in the (long defunct) vicky wine in the same row of shops, back in the day.

Good point, you would really need to know it was there on queen margaret drive - and quite a small store so lots of folk probably drove past it unawares.

My mate used to work in the (long defunct) vicky wine in the same row of shops, back in the day.

Possibly not enough people walking by. Valhallas goat is right amongst other wee, similar-ish shops. Hippo was maybe too close to Maryhill!

Obsessed.

The wee man is really taken with them. Seems to really like the older ones. Good way of teaching him a bit history, geography and the value of money. He's a bit young for most of that at the mo but it'll come and if you're wide about it they'll at the least hold their value so it's a hobby that doesn't really cost anything.