First Drivers' Strike Goes Ahead Saturday

K-9

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot quite grasp how 4% is unacceptable but 5% is.

Particularly in the present economic climate.

The drivers are paid pretty well for being drivers, they knew the

wage when they applied so it goes woosh as to why they are now

taking action against the public.

They have the right to seek alternative employment if they are not happy.

First do not come out of this well because of the lack of competition in the city

they are happy to rip off the public by charging the highest fares in Scotland.

Just get a taxi!

Well said but leads me to ask the question; who's more miserable, the Aberdeen bus drivers or the Aberdeen taxi drivers? :thumbup1:

you know that both do fairly unskilled labour yet would go on strike at the drop of a hat due to the unions having the public / council over a barrel.

the Aberdeen taxis and buses are the most expensive in Scotland, which I would be happy with if they offered the best service, but we all know that isn't the case.

scumbags the lot of them. :laughing:

The boy Mair has taken out a full page ad in today's P&J:

On behalf of First, I would like to apologise to everyone in the Aberdeen area for any inconvenience caused as a result of today's industrial action by members of the Unite union.

First has worked tirelessly to avert this industrial action and has repeatedly increased the pay offer made to staff, culminating in an improved offer of 4% at the start of the week.

Our drivers in Aberdeen are among the best paid in the industry.

This was recognised by Unite in its recent dispute with Stagecoach - "Our drivers are lower paid than in other companies such as FirstBus." (Unite official quoted in the Press & Journal on Saturday 8 November)

Our latest offer would see a First bus driver's wage for a 38 hour week increase to up to

If he's lying, why do you want to work for him? If my boss took out a full page advert in the local paper calling me a liar, my resignation would be on his desk first thing in the morning and I'd be looking for a new job.

No I called him a liar and I only work to earn cash for myself.

As I said before this job suits me just now and somebody did say that employers are now sacking folk for slagging off bosses on chat sites so I cant delve to much about my reasons .

Over the last few years lots of drivers have left and it's those with over 15 years service as they have had enough with the job,the way the company treat their staff, really you have to be in the job to know what am rabbling on about, that's why 35% of drivers working anyday of the week are doing overtime they dont have enough drivers to cover the work..........

I was talking to a guy on saturday and would you believe it, he is retired and we got chatting about things and I said something which I had done lately and he then said a vacancy is coming up in his line of work and once that offer appears ta-ta.I just cant go without a job but my time is nearly up.Then maybe I can work with some customers who are'nt ignorant,rude,moaning and smelly.

No I called him a liar and I only work to earn cash for myself.

As I said before this job suits me just now and somebody did say that employers are now sacking folk for slagging off bosses on chat sites so I cant delve to much about my reasons .

Over the last few years lots of drivers have left and it's those with over 15 years service as they have had enough with the job,the way the company treat their staff, really you have to be in the job to know what am rabbling on about, that's why 35% of drivers working anyday of the week are doing overtime they dont have enough drivers to cover the work..........

I was talking to a guy on saturday and would you believe it, he is retired and we got chatting about things and I said something which I had done lately and he then said a vacancy is coming up in his line of work and once that offer appears ta-ta.I just cant go without a job but my time is nearly up.Then maybe I can work with some customers who are'nt ignorant,rude,moaning and smelly.

i used to work for a company that made billions per year and they treated staff like dirt and paid people at my level peanuts and would then tell us we were the most important role within the company. our pay certainly didnt reflect that.

i didnt go on strike and neither did any of my colleagues. i got myself some qualifications and got a much better job.

.Then maybe I can work with some customers who are'nt ignorant,rude,moaning and smelly.

I get on 4 different buses everyday to get to and from Uni and some fo the bus drivers I've come across also fit this description. I don't knowthe full story and it's not a job I'd like to do myself but for

To be fair, what do they do? Drive a bus...........now you take a look at your own jobs and tell me what is more difficult / stressful?

I find it utterly ridiculous!

Just the sort of reply I would expect from somebody who knows nothing.

I would like you to join me for a week and see what actually goes on behind the scenes and you may just change your mind, there is more than just driving am afraid and Roberto you know what I do now what do you do then we can compare our stress levels as you mentioned.

Christ, theres a lot of shyte on this website - listen to what Harper is saying rather than making your own minds up about something you know feck all aboot

I have no problem whatsoever with bus drivers / nurses / teachers going on strike, they're traditionally the lowest paid and a few extra bucks in their wage packet is fine by me, just a reasonable wage for a hard days work.

Drivers quickly losing what support they had!!

----------------------

Fury as drivers abandon routes

First Aberdeen bus pay row sparks chaos

By Andrew Whitaker and Alison Rennie

Published: 09/12/2008

ABERDEEN bus passengers have been left stranded as drivers abandoned their routes in a bitter pay dispute.

Today the Evening Express lifts the lid on the row between the First Aberdeen bus company and its employees.

Aberdeen

----------------------

ABERDEEN bus passengers have been left stranded as drivers abandoned their routes in a bitter pay dispute.

Today the Evening Express lifts the lid on the row between the First Aberdeen bus company and its employees.

Aberdeen

Pretty selfish of the qunts when you think about it. Old folk needing to get the bus up to the hospital for an appointment or something, people needing to get to the airport maybe, train station, get to work/uni..etc. Buses are unreliable at the best of times but this is taking the piss.

About time someone challenged Firsts monopoly on buses in the city anyway.

• Site Sponsor

----------------------

Aberdeen