Stephen Gleeson Signed.

Anyone got any "feelings" as to how the hell we could afford McGeouch's wages, bearing in mind we offered to make him the highest paid player at the club in summer yet he still chose Sunderland for a reported £8k/week?

Tansey and Forrester wages would be a decent chunk of 8k a week, but I’d doubt if he’s only on that at Sunderland

• 6 months later...

So assuming we dont release him (pay him off) today then I'm guessing he can't sign permanently for an english club this summer?

There's probably not been a precedent for this since the new early english window but normally a player needs to have moved from old club to free transfer before the closing of the transfer window relating to new club.

I dont think he can be released to free by us on Aug 31st and then sign for some National League team in September?

We can still punt him on loan until Sept 2nd

So assuming we dont release him (pay him off) today then I'm guessing he can't sign permanently for an english club this summer?

He can still sign for a League One or Two club.  It's only the EPL and the Championship that have a deadline day today.