Rio Olympics 2016

Just watched the men's heavyweight boxing final.

An absolute disgrace of a decision.

Saw that, the Khazak boxer should have won at least two of the 3 rounds but somehow the judges all scored it unanimously in favour of the Russian. He was on the back foot most of the bout and needed treatment but still won it somehow.

Andy Murray, of England, reacts after defeating Juan Martin del Potro, of Argentina, to win the men's singles gold medal at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Sunday, Aug. 14, 2016. (

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-3740685/Andy-Murray-1st-win-2-Olympic-tennis-singles-golds.html#ixzz4HTxrPnnb

This is the sort of newspaper shit that annoys me. Andy Murray of England.

The British team are doing amazingly well. I always view the olympics with cynicism at first, (as we rarely see some of the sports in between each olympics), but then get brought around by the amazing skill and determination on show from our athletes.

What a team they are. For us to be currently 2nd in the medal table is outrageously good, when you compare our population size to others (eg china and russia).

Its also deeply satisfying to beat the likes of australia and france.

Its very moving to see some of the achievements and what it means to the winners after so many years of training and effort.

It's a little misleading to go with just population CS. The UK Is in one of the most prosperous parts of the world and that allows the UK to maximise human and economic resources in a way that few other countries can. There's been serious amounts of funding given to a lot of these sports from national lottery funding since 1996 where GB finished in 38th place. GB may have a smaller population but in terms of resources I doubt there's that many who can match it.

I find the medal table nonsense, it means nothing in the end, it's not as if you win the olympics is it? The yanks always finish top or near it because they have the most resources but that's not what the olympics is about.

In saying this I have enjoyed Rio more than London or Beijing. I find some of the sports pure shite like the cycling, it's probably my own ignorance but they just seem to have a series of events where they go round the same track and the same few win each event. The tennis and golf was brilliant. As usual the 100m was great, Bolt is a machine and you have to wonder if anyone will ever get close to this freak of nature or any of his records.

As much as I dislike Mo Farah it's hard not to admire his ability. Even after falling he still won!

On another note I see surfing and skateboarding are coming into the next olympics in Tokyo. Are they just going to let any old hobbie in now? Surely there's a few more deserving sports?

The same few win in each event because they are exceptional regarding the cycling.

Why is squash never allowed in the Olympics?

No idea why squash isn't in. I'm not sure on the criteria to get accepted, that's why I asked.

As I said, it'll be my own ignorance regarding the cycling. I know fuck all about it.

It's a little misleading to go with just population CS. The UK Is in one of the most prosperous parts of the world and that allows the UK to maximise human and economic resources in a way that few other countries can. There's been serious amounts of funding given to a lot of these sports from national lottery funding since 1996 where GB finished in 38th place. GB may have a smaller population but in terms of resources I doubt there's that many who can match it.

I find the medal table nonsense, it means nothing in the end, it's not as if you win the olympics is it? The yanks always finish top or near it because they have the most resources but that's not what the olympics is about.

In saying this I have enjoyed Rio more than London or Beijing. I find some of the sports pure shite like the cycling, it's probably my own ignorance but they just seem to have a series of events where they go round the same track and the same few win each event. The tennis and golf was brilliant. As usual the 100m was great, Bolt is a machine and you have to wonder if anyone will ever get close to this freak of nature or any of his records.

As much as I dislike Mo Farah it's hard not to admire his ability. Even after falling he still won!

On another note I see surfing and skateboarding are coming into the next olympics in Tokyo. Are they just going to let any old hobbie in now? Surely there's a few more deserving sports?

Golf and tennis were ace even tho they are monkey Olympic events.

And yet the cycling, top of the sport,wasn't.

You've an affa strange view on things. I reckon you dinna like the olympics cause it's the UK we are competing as.

Anyway, what's wrong with Farah?

Seems like a good guy when I've seen him

• Upvote 1

Are lawn bowls, ten-pin bowling, darts, snooker or pool worth competing for at the Olympics? They are all recognized sports, so they should really be there. Interesting that Greece take so much pride in the Olympic movement, but don't compete very well in many of the events.

Golf and tennis were ace even tho they are monkey Olympic events.

And yet the cycling, top of the sport,wasn't.

You've an affa strange view on things. I reckon you dinna like the olympics cause it's the UK we are competing as.

Anyway, what's wrong with Farah?

Seems like a good guy when I've seen him

the tennis event is far from a monkey event, the players involved say so themselves. Golf seems to have a split within the sport on whether its worth it or not

Aye you got me, its because we compete as the UK. thats why I was glued to the golf hoping Rose won it, its why I wanted the same for Murray, Whitlock and other GB athletes. You seem to have this distorted view of me because I'm a supporter of Scottish Independence.

Whether the olympics is the pinnacle of the sport is irrelevant, Its up to the individual whether they enjoy it or not.

• Upvote 1

Andy Murray, of England, reacts after defeating Juan Martin del Potro, of Argentina, to win the men's singles gold medal at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Sunday, Aug. 14, 2016. (Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-3740685/Andy-Murray-1st-win-2-Olympic-tennis-singles-golds.html#ixzz4HTxrPnnb

This is the sort of newspaper shit that annoys me. Andy Murray of England.

Why does it annoy you?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/patrick-hickey-ioc-scalping-1.3722833

Brazilian police arrested a member of the IOC's executive board, Ireland's Patrick Hickey, in his hotel in Rio de Janeiro on Wednesday in connection with an investigation into ticket scalping at the Olympics, a spokesman said.

Police said in a statement they had discovered evidence linking Hickey, who heads the European Olympic Committees that includes all the national committees on the continent, to an international scheme to illegally pass Olympic tickets to touts who were reselling them at well above their original price.

Brazilian media reported that Hickey was detained at his son's room in the hotel and was taken to hospital after his arrest.

The Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI) said in a statement it was aware of media reports of Hickey's arrest and was seeking clarity on the situation before commenting.

An International Olympic Committee source told Reuters the organization was also still establishing the facts in the case.

Hickey, 71, did not respond to calls for comment.

That's a good point, there are many countries who lack the resources / financing that the UK team is lucky to benefit from.

But it is still satisfying to see us do so well. In particular, to so comprehensively eclipse comparable European nations - France, Germany etc - as well as large nations where, although the people on average might be poorer than their UK equivalents - the Goverments still fund sport as to (try to) be dominant on the world stage is important to their perception of self (Russia, China etc).

And to beat nations like Australia where (unlike here) there is very much an outdoors / sporting culture among the general population.

On the contrary, I see it as bragging rights haha! Lord it over them I say!

I also see a certain romance in it, to see how the wee piddly nations are doing. For example, Moldova currently has one medal, a bronze in canoeing. But, for such a small nation, that one bronze will probably mean as much as a dozen golds would mean to a giant like the USA, and the person who won it will return to a heroes welcome.

I am often very cynical / dismissive of the olympics but, when it comes around, I find myself becoming enchanted by it and actually find it quite emotional at times, to see the effort involved and the thin line between success and failure, and what this means to those involved.

Me too, re enjoying Rio more - think its the carnival vibe and all those hot Brazilian chicks. It was pure genius to deploy all of Goulart / Ambrosio / Lima (All Victorias Secret Models) to carry the Olympic Flame at times. That certainly whet the appetite and stirred the loins.

I like the cycling, probably because we are so good at it (!). I think everything has its aspects you can admire.

I loved the picture of Bolt in the starting blocks, with his miraculous medal visible, as he made the sign of the cross while looking skyward.

Yes he did very well - why do you dislike him?

Aye some of the new sports lack the sense of ancient nobility which the traditional ones can boast.

I think they should limit it to the sports which are most widely played across the globe, to encourage participation.

But they will have one eye on the balance sheet and so take a "more the merrier" approach.