Us Open - Tennis

Evans 2-1 up against Wawrinka

Amazing tournament for him... beating Zverev to reach the third round was great, but this would be incredible.

If he holds on things are opening up nicely for Del Potro. He was incredible today... @@minijc's bet is looking better by the day.

With Edmund beating Gasquet and Isner, it's been Englands best Grand slam since the days of Henman and Rusedski.

Nadal out too!

All that stands between Djokovic and another final is Tsonga in the QF and Pouille/Monfils in the SF! After two walk over wins too! Easiest path to a Grand Slam final ive ever seen!

Meanwhile, on the other half, it's going to be a shit-fight between Del Potro, Nishikori, Murray, Wawrinka and Dimitrov! Whoever makes the final from that lot is going to be spent! Huge potential banana skin for Murray tonight - when Dimitrov is on, he is seriously good - knocked Murray out of the 2014 Wimbledon.

Nadal out too!

All that stands between Djokovic and another final is Tsonga in the QF and Pouille/Monfils in the SF! After two walk over wins too! Easiest path to a Grand Slam final ive ever seen!

Meanwhile, on the other half, it's going to be a shit-fight between Del Potro, Nishikori, Murray, Wawrinka and Dimitrov! Whoever makes the final from that lot is going to be spent! Huge potential banana skin for Murray tonight - when Dimitrov is on, he is seriously good - knocked Murray out of the 2014 Wimbledon.

3-0 Murray.

Murray wins 1, 2 & 2.

He also recorded the fastest serve of his career, at 141 mph, late in the first set.

I have to say that was one of the most brutally clinical Murray matches I've seen. That was the world No 24 out there. A world class player, who has been on fire this summer, but Murray has just absolutely blown him away. Sometimes when I watch Murray, I still get moments when I have to pinch myself - that is a world class scottish sportsman out there, just dominating.

Hopefully his struggles from the Lorenzi match are now behind him.

Kei Nishikori next. World number 7 and someone who is now a fixture going deep into grand slams. He hasn't been able to make that big break through yet though... hopefully the wait continues.

Del Potro vs Wawrinka in the other QF - what a match that is going to be! Compulsive viewing! A Murray vs Del Potro SF would be amazing!

Murray wins 1, 2 & 2.

He also recorded the fastest serve of his career, at 141 mph, late in the first set.

I have to say that was one of the most brutally clinical Murray matches I've seen. That was the world No 24 out there. A world class player, who has been on fire this summer, but Murray has just absolutely blown him away. Sometimes when I watch Murray, I still get moments when I have to pinch myself - that is a world class scottish sportsman out there, just dominating.

Hopefully his struggles from the Lorenzi match are now behind him.

Kei Nishikori next. World number 7 and someone who is now a fixture going deep into grand slams. He hasn't been able to make that big break through yet though... hopefully the wait continues.

Del Potro vs Wawrinka in the other QF - what a match that is going to be! Compulsive viewing! A Murray vs Del Potro SF would be amazing!

Murray was fantastic this morning. I was all set up for a really late one so glad it finished around 0.230.

Tsonga pulls out injured

That's three walk overs for Djokovic

Still don't know if that's a good thing for Djokovic. Players say they need competitive games to bring them up to speed for the tough matches to come.

Andy Murray credits a 12-hour sleep for his blistering form in the fourth round of the US Open.

Can not remember last time I slept for 12 hours if ever.

Still don't know if that's a good thing for Djokovic. Players say they need competitive games to bring them up to speed for the tough matches to come.

Usually I'd agree but Djokovic is a freak of nature. He could easily turn up and play his best in the final.

Murray has two massive tests before he can even think of playing Djokovic in the final. Nishikori will be a tough test, if he gets through then it's del potro or Wawrinka.

He's had a pretty tough draw this time round.

Mon Murray

Fair play to Nishikori, he's played well today. Murray has an incredible record in 5-set matches. He usually finds a way when it gets down to the wire - so absolutely to Nishikori's credit. On the other hand bit disappointing as Murray was clearly below-par.

Strange tournament for Murray. Today vs the Dimitrov match illustrates how important his serve is. Consistency on the serve is still something Murray has to work on. The other top players are a lot more consistent. Serve was absolutely pitiful - not sure how it could drop off so quickly after the Dimitrov match - where I've never seen it better!

Would have been a big ask even if he'd got through this one. Winner of the Del Potro vs Wawrinka. Highly likely it'd have been another 5-set marathon, only for the winner to be brushed aside by a fresh Djokovic, after his third walkover and an easy SF against Monfils.

A tough end, but history will remember a 2016 as Murrays best:

AO: Final

French: Final (first final)

Wimbledon: Won

Olympics: Gold

US Open: :ThumbsDown:

Shanghai & Paris masters and World tour finals left this year.... plenty of points still available. By a quirk of the tennis rankings, even if Djokovic wins The US Open, Murray will still make ground on him. Key for the next couple of months will be holding on to the No. 2 ranking and hopefully getting a good draw in Melbourne.

@@tommo1903 Easy to say - care to give your reasons? IMO there isn't anyone out there looking capable of reaching the level of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Federer.

The next generation of players included Raonic, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Tomic, Goffin, Janowicz, etc... Dimitrov 'baby Federer' was the most heralded, but he's certainly been the biggest disappointment. None of these guys have really been able to trouble the old guard - but I do think Raonic and Nishikori can win multiple grand slams once the current big four retire.

:whistling:

Looked like a tournament too far for him.

Can only imagine what a rested Djokovic, drugged to the gills would have done against him.

He's not been tested yet in this tournament yet, but I was thinking the same - if Djokovic is fit (which I reckon he probably is!), it would have been brutal.

I think I knew it wasn't happen for him here after the Lorenzi match - he was shocking. That in combination with Djokovics free pass to the final!

Having said that, was disappointing to see Wawrinka getting through. Murray has the measure of him IMO. It was difficult to know how Del Potro was going to go in this tournament.. whether he'd run out steam eventually or would the momentum keep building? Had he come through the Wawrinka match in good shape, I reckon he may have brutalised Murray.

:whistling:

Most of the guys listed have beaten the top 4 in one off games, some of them multiple times....

However, my point was that these guys won't ever consistently reach the same level as the big 4 have been playing at for at least the past 7 or 8 years. However, as I stated in the very next sentence, I do think Nishikori among others, will rise to prominence once the guard has been changed! With Federer and Nadal sliding into obscurity, he'll get more opportunities... Murray and Djokovic are moving into their thirties - the end of the golden period is nigh IMO!

Most of the guys listed have beaten the top 4 in one off games, some of them multiple times....

However, my point was that these guys won't ever consistently reach the same level as the big 4 have been playing at for at least the past 7 or 8 years. However, as I stated in the very next sentence, I do think Nishikori among others, will rise to prominence once the guard has been changed! With Federer and Nadal sliding into obscurity, he'll get more opportunities... Murray and Djokovic are moving into their thirties - the end of the golden period is nigh IMO!

Andy Murray isn't in the "Big 4".

It was a "Big 3", with Andy Murray the best of the rest.

EDIT - Slightly edging Wawrinka and a wee bit ahead of Cillic.

you have a point about Murray previously being outside the other three although that has changed nowadays. you are way off on the comparison with Warinka and Cilic. Murray is streets ahead of those two in terms of tournament wins, final appearances and Olympic wins. They don't even come close.

Your entitled to your opinion, but I think you're doing Murray a disservice.

He's been a top 4 player for the past 6 or 7 years, consistently contesting and grand slam finals. He's also pretty much single handedly won the Davis Cup and is the only mens singles player to have won two Olympics golds. Cilic has been nowhere near this. He has one US Open, but in terms of consistency and ability, in my opinion its a disservice to say he's a wee bit ahead of Cilic.

Similar with Wawrinka - he's converted his only two grand slam finals - which is the only area he's been ahead of Murray. Murray has contested 11 grand slam finals. Anyway, I'm sure you won't take my word for it.... So take Stans instead. I'd say he knows a little more than us amateurs! :laughing:

Surprisingly given he and Murray have both won two majors, Wawrinka says the Scot is “well ahead of me” in career achievements.

“Now that I’ve won a second grand slam (Australian Open and French) people say I’m closer to him because I have won two and he’s won two as well,” he said.

“But if you were to compare our two careers he’s well ahead of me given all the titles, the finals, No.2 in the world, and he has so many Masters 1000, as well.

“He’s in the Big 4. You know, there is a reason for this.

“Maybe he has fewer titles, fewer titles than the other big three, but he’s always been with them during the semis, the finals. His career is very, very impressive.”

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/why-stan-wawrinka-epitomises-a-nononsense-champion/news-story/8a6b605135191adc63128f783beb6bd7

Also read this for further evidence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Four_(tennis)

you have a point about Murray previously being outside the other three although that has changed nowadays. you are way off on the comparison with Warinka and Cilic. Murray is streets ahead of those two in terms of tournament wins, final appearances and Olympic wins. They don't even come close.

It's not up for dispute that these 4 guys have dominated the business end of tennis for the past 6 or 7 years at least.

It's like trying to deny global warming!