Six Nation 2017

OddJob

There nae like 9 teams that play rugby at a proper level?

6 Nations

4 big Southern Hemisphere teams

Plus the South Sea Islands - so add Tonga, Fiji and Samoa.

Japan are now too good to be dismissed as also-rans, and improving all the time.

Georgia also improving all the time, and knocking at the door for admittance to the 6N.

So I'd say it's more like 15 nations. Likes of Canada and the USA are ok and improving, but not quite there yet.

6 Nations

Japan are now too good to be dismissed as also-rans, and improving all the time.

Georgia also improving all the time, and knocking at the door for admittance to the 6N.

So I'd say it's more like 15 nations. Likes of Canada and the USA are ok and improving, but not quite there yet.

Aye so still a lot less decent teams than there is at fitba and were probably about 10th out of 15th on that list.

Aye so still a lot less decent teams than there is at fitba and were probably about 10th out of 15th on that list.

We're currently 7th, having recently overtaken France who are pish at the moment.

As if to underline the point, both Edinburgh and Glasgow had good wins against French opposition in European competition this weekend.

6 Nations

What about Romania. they were touted as being on the up at one point - have they gone backwards?

What about Romania. they were touted as being on the up at one point - have they gone backwards?

Romania have been on the verge of some great rugby breakthrough for about as long as I can remember! They just somehow never seem to get it right. I'd say that they have fallen behind the likes of Georgia, not least because the Georgians have successfully exported a number of players to the French top flight, and who are now playing their rugby at an elite level and passing those skills back to the national team.

Rugby fans are arseholes.

HOI! I resemble that remark... ;)

Give the 6 Nations a chance, its exciting and really captures the essence of international sport - competition mixed with fraternity.

For me International Rugby Union is a welcome respite from International football.

there also a lot more "working class" players on the go nowadays. its not quite the elitist sport it was.

Why the All Black haven't won every World Cup is beyond me. By far the supreme rugby union nation...as the Aussies are at rugby league. Re: 15-16 nations playing at 'proper level'? I'd say 3-4: NZ, SA, Aus (poor atm) and whoever are the best European team at any given time. The rest make up the numbers.

Neither code can claim to be a truly world sport.

• 3 weeks later...

Al, I think you will find that England and Ireland are currently in the top 4 in the rankings and deservedly so. Ireland beat the All Blacks in a test this year and I think England could match them as well. Also Scotland, despite a relatively small player base have a good and exciting team and will be very interesting to see how they fare under Gregor Townsend who has done an amazing job at Glasgow. The 6N teams have all progressed bar Wales so I fully expect the 2019 WC in Japan to be a cracking tournament which will raise the profile of the international game further.

• 1 month later...