If not DM, What is the Alternative?

Like yourself, he is an absolute rabid bead rattler.

I know, on various occasions (many years ago) I found myself standing next to him in the queue for communion (St Augustines, Coatbridge).

He is surprisingly short in real life.

You'd absolutely love an unhinged papist, like yourself, in charge of Aberdeen.

Indeed, preferably myself.

In fairness however, looking at his CV, were the individual not Peter Grant, I'd probably have them marked as 'one to watch'.

His coaching career, and the list of clubs he's worked at down south, is quite impressive

I don't get the revulsion - I don't recall him being a great hate figure among our support (more than the typical sellick player).

Shitey Mike Galloway was the main sellick hate figure, of that era, in my own recollection.

But, yeh, Grant's CV is impressive.

You are also correct in saying that, when he was his own man, he did better at Norwich than McInnes did at Bristol (That wouldn't have been hard though!).

True - the clubs themselves are probably comparable, but remember that Norwich were a premier league team in Grants brief tenure.

I want to start off by saying I'm by no means content with McInnes but i try to look at it from perspective.

McInnes is so frustrating, on one hand he does always as expected (in reality) but on the other hand always seems to do less (than what the fans want).

We are the 3rd biggest team in scotland in terms of finances, we can't argue that fact - we do pay more than Hibs and Hearts as it currently stands and up until recently we were the 2nd biggest team in SPL. Our position reflected so our resources backed this up and currently still does.

I hate comparing teams to finances and the like but it's the harsh truth. Celtic are expected to compete in Europe, they are expected to win the league and cups - that's how they operate. They can spend 7million on defenders for example and not bat an eye lid. 10million on a striker and so on. And lets face it if we did the same we'd be expecting to win every single game in the SPL if we spent that type of money.

We get our expected league position each season (last season being underperfomed) and we 'compete' in cup competitions.

We always get to the 3rd round of Europe and I have no idea if that is underperforming or not in terms of budget etc. but considering Rangers got to groups last year then it makes me think we should have at least more opportunities. (Maribor, Kairat games for example).

The thing for me as a fan is 1) Beating the old firm 2) playing attractive football that I want to watch 3) getitng cup semi's and finals were we can go and watch our team on the 'big stage' while competing, 4) european trips and 5) beating teams we are expected to beat.

The harsh truth is, for every St Mirren game we had on sunday where we play shit and get beat we might have games against Rangers where we beat them and although we will say we have been the better team it will be down to Rangers underperforming as well as their budget should give them a team capable of beating us and same is to be said with us beating St Mirren, St Mirren were better on the day and we underperformed and our team should be beaitng theirs.

We can't win every game, everyone knows that and nor can we win every cup.

There's games where we play really attractive football, it's fast flowing and we score a few goals then there's games where more often than not, we don't. It's part of being at Aberdeen. The fact we do as we should every year means McInnes's job is safe but also why he's not sought after.

If McInnes was doing a better job than he was, he would be in England with a bigger team than Bristol City taking a chance on him but he's not and hence we're kind of stuck with him until we (and i say we, i agree with everyone else that it is Milne's incompetencies) get rid.

I've only ever grown up with skovdahl, paterson, calderwood, mcghee, brown and now McInnes - and every season we do get games where we beat the old firm, we get to semi finals, finals which are the days out I cherish. Heck even the hearts game the other week was a buzz and a feel good factor.

When we don't win the cup finals, or get put out in the semi's it's so frustrating as fuck, I know we should be doing better and I want us to put up a better fight and compete more and have a go - and i put this down to McInnes's tactics and not taking chances and not beliving in his team more but it's still McInnes who go us there to have the opportunity to compete.

I'm not sure who the fuck we'd get in, but there's got to be a concesus that McInnes is failing us as a manager before he goes and he's not in my opinion. He is annoying, he does have his blatant flaws but at the same time do I want to take a chance on conte's next assistant manager for example.

We could go on and beat Rijeka thursday and get through to the next round and every fan will forget about St Mirren and last thursdays result.

I don't even know what my point is anymore, i've just been rambling on but yeah it's annoying and McInnes pisses me off more so than not but at the same time I'm not sure we can do better without sacraficing that we would lose any good manager that is in after him.

Again, simply, the question is is he getting the best out of what he’s got (a mix which he has played a major role in creating of course). There is a growing feeling that he isn’t because he simply doesn’t seem to be learning from past mistakes. Past inefficiencies if you will. But what he’s achieving is still acceptable, it’s better than the 15 years that preceded it by a distance. No one is, or should be, arguing that point. It’s the next step that we are all so frustrated at. Some people seem to want him to fail on Thursday just to somehow spite him and (less likely) to start to spark the board into action. No way am I in that camp.

Again, simply, the question is is he getting the best out of what he’s got (a mix which he has played a major role in creating of course). There is a growing feeling that he isn’t because he simply doesn’t seem to be learning from past mistakes. Past inefficiencies if you will. But what he’s achieving is still acceptable, it’s better than the 15 years that preceded it by a distance. No one is, or should be, arguing that point. It’s the next step that we are all so frustrated at. Some people seem to want him to fail on Thursday just to somehow spite him and (less likely) to start to spark the board into action. No way am I in that camp.

Is it still acceptable?

As has been pointed out many times in this thread, modern Football is dictated by finance.  That's sadly not up for debate.

Even par for Aberdeen based on finances is 3rd place in this league - it should be quite a comfortable 3rd place too.  Last season we finished 4th - not by much - however, the team that finished above us were operating on a fraction of our playing budget.  In terms of cup competitions, it's more difficult to define.  There is probably an argument that we should have done better than 1 x League Cup in 6 seasons, or whatever it is, given the absence of Hearts, Hibs & The Huns for much of that period.  Again, it goes back to the previous argument.  A lot of the younger generation of Aberdeen fans seem to think, that because we're no longer the total laughing stock that we were under McGhee, Paterson & Co., that anything above being a joke is acceptable.  If you are a 30 y/o Dons fan, your only memories are of supporting a club who were a complete shambles and occasionally an embarrassment.

Is it acceptable for a club with our financial muscle, to spend money on players, and huge wages (relative to the rest of the SPFL, minus the arse cheeks) and look absolutely clueless and completely impotent going forward?  Worringly, defensively we're starting to look a total rabble at times now too!

McInnes is an excellent man manager.  The players absolute love him and our chairman absolutely loves him.  However, any fans who've sat and watched every game, if they're being completely honest with themselves they'll admit that we've been stagnating for at least a year now and the manager looks like he's running out of ideas.

• Upvote 1

I flit between 'something new' or 'safe and steady'.

My main worry is we take on someone like Heckingbottom who thinks the league will be a skoosh, signs loads of lower league English dross and gets a thumping like he did on Sunday.

No real standout candidates domestically either. Whoever we take in could be a big gamble and I'm not quite ready to go back to the McGhee/Pele/Alex Miller days yet.

• Upvote 1

Is it still acceptable?

As has been pointed out many times in this thread, modern Football is dictated by finance.  That's sadly not up for debate.

Even par for Aberdeen based on finances is 3rd place in this league - it should be quite a comfortable 3rd place too.  Last season we finished 4th - not by much - however, the team that finished above us were operating on a fraction of our playing budget.  In terms of cup competitions, it's more difficult to define.  There is probably an argument that we should have done better than 1 x League Cup in 6 seasons, or whatever it is, given the absence of Hearts, Hibs & The Huns for much of that period.  Again, it goes back to the previous argument.  A lot of the younger generation of Aberdeen fans seem to think, that because we're no longer the total laughing stock that we were under McGhee, Paterson & Co., that anything above being a joke is acceptable.  If you are a 30 y/o Dons fan, your only memories are of supporting a club who were a complete shambles and occasionally an embarrassment.

Is it acceptable for a club with our financial muscle, to spend money on players, and huge wages (relative to the rest of the SPFL, minus the arse cheeks) and look absolutely clueless and completely impotent going forward?  Worringly, defensively we're starting to look a total rabble at times now too!

McInnes is an excellent man manager.  The players absolute love him and our chairman absolutely loves him.  However, any fans who've sat and watched every game, if they're being completely honest with themselves they'll admit that we've been stagnating for at least a year now and the manager looks like he's running out of ideas.

To say a comfortable 3rd place is just nonsense. Hibs average weekly wage is £678 less than ours and Hearts is £520 less, even Killie are only £1,458 less than us a week. In comparison Celtic spend £13,980 on average a week on a player more than us and the Huns £6,306 more. Folk want us to be competing with the arse cheeks yet also hammering these teams below us and finishing ahead of them comfortably.

Unfortunately for us it is far easier for a team like Hearts or Hibs to compete with us than it is for us to compete with the old firm. One off games are completely different and I absolutely agree we have went down without a whimper on big occasions but we've also risen to on plenty of them recently as well. The inconsistency is killing some supporters and the negative tactics at times to try and find that big results is more frustrating if you don't get it.

However, on the flip side the horrible tactics got us a 2-0 at Ibrox which nobody was complaining about and barring a harsh sending off in the Semi we were holding our own. As soon as we lose though the manager is called negative and useless etc etc.  You just need to look at Hibs on Sunday who tried to attack and got absolutely embarrassed. Our time isn't miles better than Hibs and shouldn't be going by budgets etc etc. 

McInnes is doing a good job but nothing more than that at the moment. I said in a previous post it is now up to the board to decide what direction we go in.

We currently spend the least on wages on the league in relation to turnover and we definitely have room to push the boat out for signings. Further investment down the line is very possible if we can somehow fund the stadium and remain debt free which is another issue all together. The club as whole is being run better than it ever has been before but they need to ensure that the on the park stuff progresses in the mean time. Nothing going to change in the mean time so wouldn't get too hung up on it and just back the team we have just now.

But what he’s achieving is still acceptable

Is it still acceptable?

No it's not. If 3rd place is the absolute bare minimum we should be accepting then we should be winning all our games against any team that isn't an arsecheek, and comfortably too. Any result against an arsecheek would be a bonus. When we start accepting losing in Paisley (for the first time in 8 years) or dropping points to Hamilton, Dundee and St Mirren at home (amongst other horrific results last season) the writing's on the wall...

No it's not. If 3rd place is the absolute bare minimum we should be accepting then we should be winning all our games against any team that isn't an arsecheek, and comfortably too. Any result against an arsecheek would be a bonus. When we start accepting losing in Paisley (for the first time in 8 years) or dropping points to Hamilton, Dundee and St Mirren at home (amongst other horrific results last season) the writing's on the wall...

Settle. We can't win every game we should. Unrealistic pish.

What absolute dross. The fact we've only lost once in Paisley in 8 years goes to show the work that's been done at the club. Us beating an arsecheek is the same as that result on sunday. It's 3 points we've lost, not a cup game or a final league position etc. Its all about how we recover from it and go on a winning run. The Rijeka performance for me is the most disappointing out the two. Sunday performance, we've had days like that every season and will continue to do so even with Pep Guardiola in charge and that's just a fact. We also beat Dundee every time we played them last season so no idea what you're going on about in that respect.

Folk on here moaning again fail to say what their target would be with a new manager. If its to keep pace with the old firm then you're struggling no matter who comes in until the 10 in a row crap is sorted out., both are spending ridiculous sums of money. 

What absolute dross. The fact we've only lost once in Paisley in 8 years goes to show the work that's been done at the club. Us beating an arsecheek is the same as that result on sunday. It's 3 points we've lost, not a cup game or a final league position etc. Its all about how we recover from it and go on a winning run. The Rijeka performance for me is the most disappointing out the two. Sunday performance, we've had days like that every season and will continue to do so even with Pep Guardiola in charge and that's just a fact. We also beat Dundee every time we played them last season so no idea what you're going on about in that respect.

Folk on here moaning again fail to say what their target would be with a new manager. If its to keep pace with the old firm then you're struggling no matter who comes in until the 10 in a row crap is sorted out., both are spending ridiculous sums of money. 

No one has said that.  You are getting carried away.

We have the third biggest budget in Scotland - even if the figures you are quoting above are accurate - those are still significant sums of money in SPFL terms.  This doesn't include the transfer fees we've been paying too!

Our 'even par' has to be third place.  Unfortunately in the world of modern football, finances dictate this.  If we're struggling to break down teams like St. Mirren then we are in trouble - these types of results and performances were creeping in last season, with alarming regularity.  St. Mirren is not an isolated example - that's the crux of the argument. 

Usually McInnes has been able to follow-up terrible performances, with a good result.  However, worringly I can't remember us putting in two such awful performances as Rejika and St. Mirren, back-to-back.  In both matches we were shocking.  We were giving away the ball, left, right and centre and we looked like we had no idea going forward. McInnes got his tactics wrong spectacularly in Rejika - not sure what videos he was watching, or where he was getting his reports from, but they were not that good.  Nowhere near good enough to justify the way we set-up.  We were asking for trouble not attempting to stretch them - just meekly waiting for the inevitable.

No one has said that. You are getting carried away.

We have the third biggest budget in Scotland - even if the figures you are quoting above are accurate - those are still significant sums of money in SPFL terms. This doesn't include the transfer fees we've been paying too!

Our 'even par' has to be third place. Unfortunately in the world of modern football, finances dictate this. If we're struggling to break down teams like St. Mirren then we are in trouble - these types of results and performances were creeping in last season, with alarming regularity. St. Mirren is not an isolated example - that's the crux of the argument.

Usually McInnes has been able to follow-up terrible performances, with a good result. However, worringly I can't remember us putting in two such awful performances as Rejika and St. Mirren, back-to-back. In both matches we were shocking. We were giving away the ball, left, right and centre and we looked like we had no idea going forward. McInnes got his tactics wrong spectacularly in Rejika - not sure what videos he was watching, or where he was getting his reports from, but they were not that good. Nowhere near good enough to justify the way we set-up. We were asking for trouble not attempting to stretch them - just meekly waiting for the inevitable.

I thought tactics were ok , Logan cost the team big style .

• Downvote 1

The target would be to reach the group stages. Some years McInnes has had a tough draw but that's a few he's missed out on now where we should be at the play-offs at least. If we lose tomorrow that's another golden chance missed.

The target would be to reach the group stages. Some years McInnes has had a tough draw but that's a few he's missed out on now where we should be at the play-offs at least. If we lose tomorrow that's another golden chance missed.

Absolutely agree. We should of beat Kairat, Maribor and Apollon Limassol. Knocked out by Real Sociedad and Burnley are probably the only excusable ties. The fact he hasn't made at least the play offs is certainly a black mark against him. 

You'd have to be a cunt to think that?