Champions League

We'd have been raging if we'd been the losers of that tie, conspiracy theories would abound. Offside goal against, two decent goals chalked off and stonewall pen denied.

Refs had a lot to do with that result.

No coincidence, MUFC also beat them and Liverpool deserved both legs of their victory.

Still a great side; but little or no mention that City were embarrassed

You DO know that the best teams generally get yo the latter stages if any competition?

This season's tournament has been brilliant and Ronaldo cementing himself as best ever player

So you were wrong originally. Once again, thank you.

You are exactly the kind of person who thinks Ronaldo is the best player ever, I'm not at all surprised.

• Upvote 2

Hate to agree with Bluto, but the Champions League has been great entertainment lately!

Indeed it has - last night's Real-Juve game was just nuts.

I actually thought it was a penalty, it's one of those damned awkward ones where, as the attacking team, you'd be livid if it wasn't given, and if you're the defending team you'd be livid if it was given. There was definitely contact, and the Juve player got nothing on the ball. Harsh as fuck on them, but on balance, probably the correct decision.

Also a very good example of how ambiguous football can be, and how VAR technology will not be the be-all-and-end-all which some folk seem to be suggesting.

Indeed it has - last night's Real-Juve game was just nuts.

I actually thought it was a penalty, it's one of those damned awkward ones where, as the attacking team, you'd be livid if it wasn't given, and if you're the defending team you'd be livid if it was given. There was definitely contact, and the Juve player got nothing on the ball. Harsh as fuck on them, but on balance, probably the correct decision.

Also a very good example of how ambiguous football can be, and how VAR technology will not be the be-all-and-end-all which some folk seem to be suggesting.

I thought it was a stonewall penalty too... but couldn't be arsed putting on my tin hat to post that earlier.

If you are setting yourself to take down a ball and shoot and someone nudges you from behind, it going to knock you off balance and the chance is gone. Is clearly an unfair denial of a goal scoring opportunity and a foul anywhere else on the pitch. Player had his body between the defender and the ball. Ridiculously clumsy attempt from the defender.

What you are saying about VAR is right enough though. I've watched the incident several time and I'm absolutely convinced it was a penalty... however it seems the majority feel the opposite.

• 2 weeks later...

One other point, what an absolute pap Salah is apologising to the Roma fans for scoring. You don't have to celebrate but don't apologise FFS.

Have often wondered what cunt of a footballer invented that embarrassing raised palm 'celebration' gesture originally cause now they all do it.

Pipes classic commentary on the other thread about the eunuch generation could be applied to these football 'men'

Despite murdering Roma they let 2 in.It sounds improbable but Roma scoring 3 at home isnt that far fetched and surely they cant be anywhere near as poor defensively??

They'll need to completely overhaul their defensive set-up then, because holding such a high line against Liverpool was absolute madness. Last night Liverpool only really needed to knock the ball long, wait for Roma to fuck-up, pounce on the second ball then sweep forward and create merry hell in the second wave. And Roma need goals remember, so they're chasing the game against probably the best counter-attacking team in Europe.

I really can't see Liverpool not scoring in Rome next week.

They'll need to completely overhaul their defensive set-up then, because holding such a high line against Liverpool was absolute madness. Last night Liverpool only really needed to knock the ball long, wait for Roma to fuck-up, pounce on the second ball then sweep forward and create merry hell in the second wave. And Roma need goals remember, so they're chasing the game against probably the best counter-attacking team in Europe.

I really can't see Liverpool not scoring in Rome next week.

Don't think anyone has scored against them at home in CL this season. Someone due a goal.