New Drink Drive Law

Clydeside_Sheep

Achtung jakeys!

The new drink drive law is in force from today. We got a reminder sent around work.

I support the idea of promoting and enforcing good road safety, but I was a little shocked by this bit in the reminder:

The Police have a commitment to breathalyse any driver who:

• has been stopped for any moving traffic offence (e.g. using a mobile phone, a faulty brake light, not wearing a seatbelt)
  • they suspect has been drinking or taking drugs
  • has been involved in an accident

Driving or attempting to drive whilst above the legal limit or failing to provide a specimen will result in a 6 month jail sentence, a fine of £5,000 plus at least a 12 month disqualification.

(not to mention criminal record, insurance costs, possible loss of livelihood, legal expenses etc)

Is this jail sentence an existing provision? And is it automatic and indiscriminate?

And why breathalyse someone who was stopped for a bust brake light?

Why not wait until there is some evidence of drinking first, like slurred words, erratic driving or a stink of booze?

What next? If you get caught going above 30 mph, even briefly, the Police can come around and rake through your home for a couple of hours?

I wish they were as tough with actual criminals (some who chooses to drink and drive is a criminal, but someone who has a few beers in front of thursday night football and then gets "caught out" in the morning isnt).

Does Montrose have it's own laws?

Yes.

yeah...this isnt good

im goin out for a blazin' night in edinburgh on saturday, so if i drive home in sunday mornin an get caught, im rooked?

Probably cos they couldn't get away from your ongoing drivel fast enough

Went out last night and ended up getting the bus to work this morning in anticipation of loads of police pulling folk over on the way to work. Didn't want to risk it.

Didn't see a police car the whole journey.

Cunts.

Surely we could come up with something like a built-in car breathalyser. The car wont start unless the driver passes a breath test.

If the driver persists in trying to start the car, the car could alert the Police.

Need to come up with a scheme to prevent A.N Other person from passing the test on behalf of a drunk driver - but, if we can land robots on comets, we can do this.

Ah, but if you had taken the car you would have been at different places at different times in your journey compared to the bus. Maybe the feds had a big trap set, caught their quota and set off before you bus wankers came along?

If I had my car I'd have left later than I did for getting the bus. But yes, the route was different. Anyone know if there were police pulling folk over on Anderson Drive this morning?

Last night was the first time I'd been on a bus in months. Stale pish was the overriding smell. Also had "The Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen" lyrics as decorations.

hmm....id imagine comin back from edinburgh on the first weekend of this would increase the likelihood...

daaaaamn

take it "next day" alcohol units still count?

:laughing:

haha. MT that post has genuinely brought a chuckle to an otherwise boring day so far.

Surely we could come up with something like a built-in car breathalyser. The car wont start unless the driver passes a breath test.

If the driver persists in trying to start the car, the car could alert the Police.

Need to come up with a scheme to prevent A.N Other person from passing the test on behalf of a drunk driver - but, if we can land robots on comets, we can do this.

they already have these C_S. though most people don't install them unless ordered by the courts. but presumably nothing stopping you from doing it voluntarily, or if you have young/inexperienced drivers using your car.

https://www.smartstartinc.com/

• Upvote 1

how long does it take for the units to "water down"?

Rule of thumb is your body gets rid of one unit per hour. However, as we are all different there can be a lot of difference between ppls bodies.

This calculator got send around our work as well:

http://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_information_bloodalcoholcontentcalculator.php

Its prob OK as a rule of thumb. I did an experimental calc and it said that if I had 6 pints (5% strength), I would still be illegal to drive in some countries, even 12 hours later.

Worth being aware of!

(need to watch - the default beer strength is a laughable 2.5% so you need to increase it)