Holidays 2018

minijc

We will prob take the car on the DFDS newcastle-amsterdam ferry route again. But instead of the German Reich, (which I like), this time the Mrs is wanting to try a specific holiday park in the Netherlands on the grounds that its good for families.

I quite enjoy the ferry - it can be expensive to take the car but the whole experience is absolute luxury compared to flying, albeit this route it an overnigher. Although nothing beats enjoying breakfast at the cabin window, as the ship arrives in Ijmuiden (Amsterdam).

I totally dig the "roll on / roll off" nature of the car ferry, none of this loitering for ages around baggage carousels etc, then fannying about laden with bags as you search for a taxi / bus / car hire. Roll on, roll off. Its fucking brilliant. (I like to pretend its the normandy landings :laughing: ) Also, the ferry food is excellent as is the freedom to roam, go on deck / sit at the bar etc. And the staff are great too, especially if you have a baby - staff falling over themselves to help.

Just booked Switzerland in September. Going to Sicily for the first time in May. Various other travel most weeks in between, which although it's "work" is like a long summer holiday punctuated by time at home.

We will prob take the car on the DFDS newcastle-amsterdam ferry route again. But instead of the German Reich, (which I like), this time the Mrs is wanting to try a specific holiday park in the Netherlands on the grounds that its good for families.

I quite enjoy the ferry - it can be expensive to take the car but the whole experience is absolute luxury compared to flying, albeit this route it an overnigher. Although nothing beats enjoying breakfast at the cabin window, as the ship arrives in Ijmuiden (Amsterdam).

I totally dig the "roll on / roll off" nature of the car ferry, none of this loitering for ages around baggage carousels etc, then fannying about laden with bags as you search for a taxi / bus / car hire. Roll on, roll off. Its fucking brilliant. (I like to pretend its the normandy landings :laughing: ) Also, the ferry food is excellent as is the freedom to roam, go on deck / sit at the bar etc. And the staff are great too, especially if you have a baby - staff falling over themselves to help.

NL is good for adults too CS min

:cool:

:beer:

We went on that ferry on the way to Groningen

You are easily impressed.

They are introducing a variation of the Road Equivalent Tariff on the Aberdeen ferries to Lerwick and Kirkwall later this year so should be a good bit cheaper then.

How much are you talking?

For two of us with a car for a weekend in February it was £442.

I can get to Alicante and back for £25 :laughing:

Alicante doesn't have a Parkrun though, arseholes.

Is it not cheaper to hire a car there than pay the £100 each way car charge?

(Im using 2015 info)

They were talking about a 30-40% reduction, but they're being pretty vague with the details.