So your idea to make the team better is to sell all our best players?

The purpose of a football club isn't to make profits on players, it's to win football matches. Selling all your best players is a recipe for ending up like Dundee Utd

We're not Man City of course we have to eventually sell our best players. The problem is Dundee United sold them and replaced them with absolute donkeys. 

We should have been getting the creme de la creme in as replacements. Hibs got Scott Allan we should have got him as a McLean replacement. Hearts got Naismith we should have got him as a Christie replacement. Hearts got Halkett we should have got him as a Considine upgrade. We should have had all those players in as with the extra moolah we could offer significantly higher wages.

We're not Man City of course we have to eventually sell our best players. The problem is Dundee United sold them and replaced them with absolute donkeys. 

We should have been getting the creme de la creme in as replacements. Hibs got Scott Allan we should have got him as a McLean replacement. Hearts got Naismith we should have got him as a Christie replacement. Hearts got Halkett we should have got him as a Considine upgrade. We should have had all those players in as with the extra moolah we could offer significantly higher wages.

Scott Allan is pish, Naismith is a hun and Halkett went to Hearts because his missus works in Edinburgh. We could've signed any of them without selling our best players

Scott Allan is pish, Naismith is a hun and Halkett went to Hearts because his missus works in Edinburgh. We could've signed any of them without selling our best players

Scott Allan is exactly the kind of player we need. Naismith would be a revelation for us as he has been for Hearts. They'd be relegated without him.

Halkett would sign if we offered him £7k a week using the McKenna money.

Scott Allan is exactly the kind of player we need. Naismith would be a revelation for us as he has been for Hearts. They'd be relegated without him.

This trolling is fucking boring now.  We know you're a tim.  Fuck off.

• Downvote 2

Something we can agree on. We could definitely overpay average players to join us if we sold our best players. A winning strategy I'm sure

Guest the shepherd

Who's to say we didn't enquire about each of the players you mentioned. You seem to know a lot about our club behind the scenes and how they operate.

By the way, how are the fish keeping in the River Clyde these days?

Except Allan wanted to go to Hibs to the exclusion of all others. And Halkett's wife didn't want to move from their home in the Central Belt. Just because we are interested in a player does not mean the player will necessarily be interested in us. Our geographical location itself puts many prospective signings off and we cannot force a player to sign on the dotted line. Yes we have a bit of an advantage over the Edinburgh clubs in that we pay a bit higher but even that isn't enough in every case.

This is a very good post. Problem was poor contract management allowing a lot of our best players, and the spine of our best footballing sides of recent years, leave for little or nothing.

Imagine Stockley, Cosgrove and Rooney as our 3 rotating strikers.

Shinnie, McLean and Ferguson midfield 3. That would be a brilliant squad.

Poor contract management?

Isn't that ignoring every time a key player does extend? Which actually happens susprisingly often at the moment.

Players move on eventually depending on their aspirations. It's normal.

I think the issue is more the ability to identify replacements has been badly lacking.

The Europa League exertions last Thursday clearly had an effect on our team. The players looked exhausted on Sunday. Dundee being at home gave them an advantage. They appear to have strengthened over the summer. We didn't play well and were fortunate to scrap through but we did. I actually believe being knocked out of Europe was for the best. It has such a detrimental effect on our domestic duties. Still we beat Dundee away and Hearts at home. Shame about the St Mirren result. The players can rest up this week and focus on the Killie game next week. 

I see Hearts fans are adamant they'll beat us in the quarter finals. Already discussing who'll they'll get in the next round! 

• Downvote 1

The Europa League exertions last Thursday clearly had an effect on our team. The players looked exhausted on Sunday. Dundee being at home gave them an advantage. They appear to have strengthened over the summer. We didn't play well and were fortunate to scrap through but we did. I actually believe being knocked out of Europe was for the best. It has such a detrimental effect on our domestic duties. Still we beat Dundee away and Hearts at home. Shame about the St Mirren result. The players can rest up this week and focus on the Killie game next week. 

I see Hearts fans are adamant they'll beat us in the quarter finals. Already discussing who'll they'll get in the next round! 

Prince Bauben, played for them, Prince Bauben is nothing to be scared of.

So would we be fit to play in Europe the next two Thursdays?

So would we be fit to play in Europe the next two Thursdays had we beaten Rijeka?

Tynecastle installed a revolving door for the players the amount of turnover you’ve had.

They may not have been anything of note, that’s because they were all shit.

Djoum

Vanacek

Godinho

Sammon

Edwards

Hughes

Martin

Lafferty

Cowrie

Beith

Todorov

McGloughlin

Smith

Hamilton

Buaben

Amankwaa

Callaghan

Roy.

Goncalves

Walker

Buchanen

Aviontis

Stockton

Bikes

Nicholson

Struna

Grezlek

Reilly

Nowak

Noring

Sowah

Paterson

Johnsen

Tziolis

King

Kitchen

McGhee

Gallagher

Oshiniwa

All in the last two seasons and many who you guys were proclaiming to be coups

Maybe 4-5 on that list we cared about losing. The point wasn't to knock you guys it was just to say you've had a large turnover on players you've relied on and who have done well at Aberdeen for the most part.

And you haven't replaced many of them with similar quality. Nor have you made a lot of money from that list moving on.

We haven't had the same issue because we've been shit. So not difficult to improve on Sowah or Amankwaa.

Because of the huge rebuild at BOTH Edinburgh clubs, who would be your main rivals in the transfer market, you might find we're all in for similar players. We lost out to yous on McGinn, Bryson, Main but on the whole I think Aberdeen will lose out to Edinburgh clubs more than the other way round. All things being equal, due to our city and central belt pull. It's not a dig.

I was only pointing out. Huge turnover. Key players. Limited revenue in from sales. Major rivals rebuilding on large scale.

That was painful viewing.

Not one single player looked worth anything. 

Probably the least excitable last minute equaliser.

Helped the Foundry Reds out post match when they broke down at the side of the road. #DonsFamily

Shite draw in the next round.

Some merit in what you’re saying but like others I’d ask two questions.

1/. What was our plan had we qualified for R4

2/. Chasing the ball on Thursday was a cunt for sure. But to what extent was it self inflicted? Individual player errors (Logan, Ojo and arguably (harshly imo) Campbell)) I can live with but struggling against posties and hitting round 3 with no real idea of our first 11, and more importantly that our apparent settled 4-5-1 is questionably ineffective has to be cause for concern.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1