Out Of Contract

3 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I edited it to say top 30-40. Clubs at the bottom of the championship this season will be worried about their finances for next season and wont be signing a player from us on a pre contract of over £5k/week. If a club nicks Hoban from us then it surely has to be a pre contract in January or February (March at an absolute push). He'd have the worst agent in the land if he decided running down his contract was a good idea with his injury history and the state of the economy. 

If he continues to play like this and stays fit he'll have options.  

In the current climate a championship club next summer would be delighted to take a centre back on a free who has played a full season in the Scottish league as one of its better performers.  And it probably wouldn't even take the 5-6k per week that you are suggesting. 

Just now, Tord31 said:

@aberdeen1970 also an important factor is we have huge negotiating potential with 18 senior players out of contract January/May. 

We can make Hoban the first priority and offer him any contract we want. IF we want

Definitely.  I'd rather he stayed so I hope you are right. 

My issue is with the wider point that a Championship club won't take him in a free of he proves his fitness with us because they'd rather spend lots of money.  That's just nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Read back. There's nowhere I've said he wasn't good enough. I have pointed out that he barely played for Watford before his injury problems.

And I have certainly not said anywhere that they might take a risk on him. I've consistently said they definitely wont. Because they don't need to.

Yes I'm convinced I will be proven correct

We'll I hope we are both wrong and he stays with us. 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We'll I hope we are both wrong and he stays with us. 

Eh? That was my whole point....that if he stays fit then I hope he signs on with us for 2/3 years. A big risk but one we on balance should take as we wouldn't be able to afford under normal circumstances. I just hope he doesn't think that earning a similar amount in the EFL nearer to home is a better option

Just now, Ten Caat said:

Eh? That was my whole point....that if he stays fit then I hope he signs on with us for 2/3 years. A big risk but one we on balance should take as we wouldn't be able to afford under normal circumstances. I just hope he doesn't think that earning a similar amount in the EFL nearer to home is a better option

We're going to have to agree to disagree until next summer at least. 

Just like we agree to disagree on whether Greg Leigh is a good signing or not. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, slippers said:

People still adamant Scott Wright should be rewarded with a new deal? 

Yep, of the numerous players going out of contract next summer I'd give deals to Wright, McLennan and Considine.  And Hoban if he's willing to stay a bit longer. 

The rest can go.  Taylor, Devlin, Main, Logan, Anderson are the main ones that come to mind.  Niall has had his day too and we can put his wages to better use. 

27 minutes ago, slippers said:

People still adamant Scott Wright shouldn’t  be rewarded with a new deal? 

Still think it's too early to judge. He's getting a regular game on merit but there have still been 2 or 3 games where he has been totally anonymous. But if he can maintain his general good form into January then yes I would give him another couple of years. Consistency of performance has always been Wright's achilles heel.....if he regresses into the Wright of previous seasons then it's goodbye.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Ten Caat said:

Still think it's too early to judge. He's getting a regular game on merit but there have still been 2 or 3 games where he has been totally anonymous. But if he can maintain his general good form into January then yes I would give him another couple of years. Consistency of performance has always been Wright's achilles heel.....if he regresses into the Wright of previous seasons then it's goodbye.

January might be too late. 

We've been here before with other players. You have to have the conviction to make a decision one way or another before they can speak to other clubs in January. 

Since we have so many players going out of contract next summer it's a no brainer to try and extend Wright. 

34 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I’m afraid players like Wright will be “totally anonymous” from time to time.

Players of that style generally are like that.

I think it’s the trade-off for creativity in other games.

If he was a match-winner or creating things every week, he’d be playing at a far higher level than us. 

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Yep, of the numerous players going out of contract next summer I'd give deals to Wright, McLennan and Considine.  And Hoban if he's willing to stay a bit longer. 

The rest can go.  Taylor, Devlin, Main, Logan, Anderson are the main ones that come to mind.  Niall has had his day too and we can put his wages to better use. 

Aye, I’d agree with this.

The only one I’d have doubts about is Connor McLennan, as I question his “football brain”.

He often seems to not know what run to make or pass to make & it ends up being rushed, but probably worth a 2 year contract. 

If Hedges maintains his form till after New Year and forces himself back into the Welsh squad then it might be prudent to offer him a new deal fairly sharpish. Whilst I don't think he will ever be of interest to EPL teams, mid table Championship clubs would certainly be. On a newish contract, his value in the transfer market is enhanced and being involved internationally enhances it further.