Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Holiday Thread 2012

zander

Was planning a two week trip to the USA in March. New York for 6 days, then Austin for 3 days during SXSW and then San Fran for a few more.

Unlikely to happen now as I've yet to gear my arse in gear in terms of booking it. Instead the money for that will likely be added to my 'move back to Australia' pot, but that is hugely depending on a circumstances in Aberdeen.

Have you ever been to SXSW? Fancied going for a few years now, but would appreciate any tips from anyone that's been?

Considering chopping out Belgrade and either Hamburg or Berlin. To an from Krakows the only long trains rest are less than 5 hours.

If you were going to do only one day in Berlin or one day in Hamburg, I'd go for Hamburg. Berlin for a day ain't worth it, it is too spread out. Hamburg you can get about and see plenty in a day, then hit the Reeperbahn at night...

Oh, and so far I have a long weekend in Berlin at the end of March for a mate's stagger and that is it. Not sure what to do in the summer, though we had contemplated doing similar to you, flying in to Eastern Europe somewhere and arrange a flight back somewhere across Europe. No restraints other than making sure we are at the final place by the final day.

Just returned from Bucharest for a couple of days work. Was a bit of a shithole, and that was my first venture in to the old Eastern Bloc. Nae so sure on the above plan anymore... :laughing:

Not long back from Barcelona. Spent some time in Andorra, snowboarding and other stuff. Great place. Then got mugged at knifepoint in Barcelona. Turns out Spanish police don't like black foreign people mugging white foreign people so within two days, he was caught, identified and found guilty at a trial. thumbup1.gifIstanbul next month.

Snowboarding hol in Italy end of March into April

Usual summer holiday with mates beginning of July for a week.

Hoping to go to SE Asia in August. Singapore to visit friends. Malaysia, Indonesia and visit other friends in Perth.

Who knows where else. Got the Queens jubilee long weekend and hopefully Thatcher's funeral so may get exploring some more.

Going to Zagreb for 4 days next month with a day in Slovenia aswell for Scotland game, might be a lads holiday in the summer, i want ibiza none of them do, boring, grippy types that they are.

Just a comment on the Dalai Lama quote. Got it hung up in my classroom. Love the kids varied take on it.

Quote - The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered “Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

I have been wanting to go to this general area for years. When you say family, do you mean kids as well? It doesn't strike me as being a 'with kids' place?

Can you tell me the kinds of things there is to do there? And is it easy to travel to other islands?

Kids as well. I go to a resort 'all in'. The Fijians love kids and they have kids clubs to cater for them. I go on holiday to relax and don't venture far but stuff to do if you can be arsed. Plenty of 'water sports' etc. Not sure about the travel to other islands, too busy lying by the pool to worry. Imagine could be sorted. The Pacific region is worth a look IMO.

Kids as well. I go to a resort 'all in'. The Fijians love kids and they have kids clubs to cater for them. I go on holiday to relax and don't venture far but stuff to do if you can be arsed. Plenty of 'water sports' etc. Not sure about the travel to other islands, too busy lying by the pool to worry. Imagine could be sorted. The Pacific region is worth a look IMO.

Dirty cunts.

Kids gan aboot as weel.

:nono:

I get depressed coming back to Aberdeen after a jaunt in the Caribbean. It's the only location that seems to do it.

I just love hammering the Rums and trying the speak jive with the locals.

That sounds quality, would love to head back to the Caribbean, was in Nassau for a day a few years ago whilst we were on a cruise, Orlando for 10 days then 5 on the ship, was best holiday ever, love Orlando and would love a proper 2 weeks in the Caribbean.

got a week booked in Newton Stewart end of July anyone know anthing suitable for family to do in that area.

Stayed in a lovely log cabin with hot tub last October.

Do some star gazing. That's why I went. Unfortunately I got rap all star gazing done as it was cloudy both nights I was there. But I'm sure the area has been designated a dark skies park and offers some of the best star gazing in the UK.

I quite liked Wigtown - sooo many bookshops and little cafes. There're lovely walks round about there and I visited the Wigtown martyrs graves.

There is also Bladnoch distillery, you can get tours of it and obviously a taste of the whisky.

Garlieston is a bonny harbour village and the Isle of Whithorn has nice walks too. There's a ruin, St Ninians chapel which is worth a visit and a weird looking cairn where you can put your own stone with a message on it if I remember correctly. There is also a nice memorial to those killed in the Solway Harvester.

I think there is a cinema in Newton Stewart.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to go away with mates for up to a week at the beginning of July. It's a kind of hen do for a mate. I've never booked a proper holiday before but we are looking to go to somewhere cheap and cheerful.

I came across this website http://www.icelolly.com/ Is it reliable? Are there any other reliable websites that you recommend?

How was the game?

Heard good things about Croatia in general. Fancy going there.

Game was pish, Slovenia try to play nice football, was one of the worst bus trips ever though, 4 hours with no air con and the heating up full blast on a double decker with 60+ blokes in kilts on it with the proclaimers cd on a fucking loop, I wanted to kill some one. I knew all those places around that area didn't get on but I didn't think it was as bad as it is, Serbian bus infront of us and one of the Croatians is on the mic saying "Fakking Serbs, I want to fakking kill them, holding us up, cunts I want to get a gun and shoot them" and in general everyone just want them dead.

Looking for Tips on Berlin ? Heading there in the summer

Away to Center Parcs in Cumbria next week, anyone been there ? Heard it is pretty good for the bairns ?

Surely must be some pretty cheap cruise deals going on offer just now :pirate:

Centre Parcs is ace for the kids. Been there last 4 years and heading back in August. Loads to do but the activities can be expensive. Top tip get down early on your first day and keep your swimming stuff accessible. Don't get into your lodge until 3pm but can still use everything. Pool not so busy on the days everyone checks in/out.

Enjoy !!