Amateur/junior Football

• 2 weeks later...

I must say I sometimes abbreviate banks o dee to BoD but only to people who know what team I'm at. Is there a bridge of don amateurs team?

Just checked the Amateur website as I didn't think there was a Bridge of Don amateur team,part of why I asked if the guy above meant Banks o' Dee.No amateur team called Bridge of Don there at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to see the death of Kevin Pirie in last nights paper.

I remember him first as a player for Burbank in the old juvenile leagues. A no holds barred, old fashioned striker.

Then as a PO delivery driver, he always had time for a chat when dropping off parcels.

Most folk though will probably remember him for being a referee for many years in amateur circles.

He had been ill but squeezed a couple of extra years out of life.

A genuine nice guy.

Sad to see the death of Kevin Pirie in last nights paper.

I remember him first as a player for Burbank in the old juvenile leagues. A no holds barred, old fashioned striker.

Then as a PO delivery driver, he always had time for a chat when dropping off parcels.

Most folk though will probably remember him for being a referee for many years in amateur circles.

He had been ill but squeezed a couple of extra years out of life.

A genuine nice guy.

I have been away for a couple of days so only came across this when I got home at tea time. Only knew "Hoss" the referee and was really, really shocked when I saw it in the paper. None of my football cohorts had even mentioned he was unwell. Another old school ref who called a spade a spade and you knew where you stood with him, but importantly, a ref you could banter with. RIP Hoss and condolences to your family.

On a side note, as you mentioned Burbank, you may have came across my old pal "peas n' barley" Charlie Barbour in your U27 days per chance?

I have been away for a couple of days so only came across this when I got home at tea time. Only knew "Hoss" the referee and was really, really shocked when I saw it in the paper. None of my football cohorts had even mentioned he was unwell. Another old school ref who called a spade a spade and you knew where you stood with him, but importantly, a ref you could banter with. RIP Hoss and condolences to your family.

On a side note, as you mentioned Burbank, you may have came across my old pal "peas n' barley" Charlie Barbour in your U27 days per chance?

Dinna mind Charlie Barbour in the U27's but certainly mind playing against him when he was at Banks o Dee late 70's. Blimey 30 odd years ago.

I think he went to Peterhead fae Banks o Dee but I'm nae convinced that he didna go to Banks o Dee from a Highland league club in the 1st place.

I think he might be even a couple of years aulder than I am.

• 4 weeks later...

aye ollie, i'm playin for woodside next season and they offered joe (jr) the job and to take half the woodside team with him. needless to say he said no. must of been something seriously wrong with the club as a whole. sad they won't be there next season, massive junior club all over scotland.

Any keepers on here looking for a club? Alford are a team looking for a keeper. Just been promoted and have Ally Reid (ex Huntly) as our new player/manager so looking good for new season. If you think Alford is a bit far away, half the games will probably be played in Aberdeen anyhow and we have plenty lads driving out from Aberdeen. Cheers!

aye ollie, i'm playin for woodside next season and they offered joe (jr) the job and to take half the woodside team with him. needless to say he said no. must of been something seriously wrong with the club as a whole. sad they won't be there next season, massive junior club all over scotland.

The writing was on the wall quite a while ago, long before Tom McPherson quit, but I never, ever, thought it'd happen.

Any keepers on here looking for a club? Alford are a team looking for a keeper. Just been promoted and have Ally Reid (ex Huntly) as our new player/manager so looking good for new season. If you think Alford is a bit far away, half the games will probably be played in Aberdeen anyhow and we have plenty lads driving out from Aberdeen. Cheers!

Tell Ally good luck fae me.

Got a message today saying one of my former clubs Sunnybank have went into abeyance for at least one year and when they return it will be in the second division. A sad, sad day for north Junior football

The writing was on the wall quite a while ago, long before Tom McPherson quit, but I never, ever, thought it'd happen.

A few of the guys were talking about this before our game last night. They were of the impression that Byron Thistle Amateurs would be taking over for this season under the Sunnybank name and still playing in the Superleague. Then I got an e-mail through this morning from my old man whose our secretary, sent to him by the Regional secretary saying Sunnybank have gone into abeyance. He said he'd tried to convince them to stick at it for this season but that their mind was already made up. As ebbe and ollie both said, it's a sad day for the North Junior game, Heathryfold was always one of the best grounds and always a good game against them. You've got to wonder just how bad things were behind the scenes though?

A few of the guys were talking about this before our game last night. They were of the impression that Byron Thistle Amateurs would be taking over for this season under the Sunnybank name and still playing in the Superleague. Then I got an e-mail through this morning from my old man whose our secretary, sent to him by the Regional secretary saying Sunnybank have gone into abeyance. He said he'd tried to convince them to stick at it for this season but that their mind was already made up. As ebbe and ollie both said, it's a sad day for the North Junior game, Heathryfold was always one of the best grounds and always a good game against them. You've got to wonder just how bad things were behind the scenes though?

Will Sunnybank ever come back ? Don't know much about the behind the scenes goings on but if the same people are still there in a years time will the same problems not be there ?

And Alford still don't have a goalie!

And no to your previous question, Iain Smith doesn't play for Alford anymore, I've played gor us for 6 years now and don't know who he is. Is he fae Alford? Is he a goalie?!!

you boys will be ok this season pash. you were better than expected when we played you in the friendly, in saying that i forgot my boots and was on the sidelines still pished from the night before. who was your goalkeeper in that game?