Who would you keep?

Was going to title the post who should go but there's probably less I would keep. Out the current squad who would you want here next year? For me

Lewis (as back up and hopefully rediscover some form)

Consi (only on a 1 year contract- see how he is after injury)

Gallagher (been poor but looks to be settling a bit)

Ramsay

Ferguson

McRorie

Barron

Watkins

Vinnie

Ramsay (but probably cashed in on)

Ferguson ^^^^^same^^^^^

Barron

McCrorie (only for midfield)

Vinny (hopefully improves tho)

Polvara (but still unknown quantity)

Hayes (handy squad player if cheap enough)

All rest can fk off except the youth’s still breaking through 

Ferguson (if not sold)

Ramsay (ditto)

Barron

Besuijen

McCrorie

Gallagher (but if anyone offered £200k I'd take it)

Bates (as with Gallagher, wouldn't be difficult to deal with if an offer came in)

Polvara (need to see him with a full pre-season before judging)

All the rest I'd happily see fucking off. I wouldn't have given Hayes the extra year, I think he's done and is a liability at left back.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Zeus said:

Out of the 1st team squad.

McCrorie

Watkins

Barron

Ramsay (will be sold)

Ferguson (will be sold)

Vicente 

Polvara 

Rest can be freed or given away. Nobody will pay for them 

For two players that want big moves, they have not exactly had the best of seasons. Neither has enhanced their value to Aberdeen. Not sure we will get any offers that are acceptable to the club. 

Ferguson is good but he has never quite got to the level I hoped. Maybe this is his level and he dosn't have more to give?

Ramsay lost his way a bit. Talk of a move clearly unsettled him. I would prefer he stayed at least another year to focus on just playing regular football and recapture some of that early promise. A move away from right back may be best for him. Focus on his attacking play (he can swing a decent cross in at times) and less on his defensive duties which is lacking at times. 

I'd keep...

Ramsay (but happily sell if we got a decent offer which we probably will)

Barron

Ferguson (again sell if we got a good offer, which i suspect we will)

Polvara (still needs a chance - probably get it in the final few games, so we'll know a bit more by the end of the season)

McCrorie

Besoujin

I would probably get rid of Gallagher, Bates and Watkins, but wouldn't be too upset if we kept them - the defence will improve when we get a semi competent keeper behind them.

Everyone else can clear off - Lewis, Woods, Considine, MacKenzie, McGeouch, Ojo, Kennedy, McLennan, Ramirez, Jenks, Ruth, JET, Montgommery and whatever other dross I've forgotten about because they're so bad.

EDIT - Forgot about Hayes - just dump him - I love his enthusiasm and energy, but the boy is in his mid 30s and still cant complete a simple pass to a team mate. 

If i can be fairly brutal after the shite season we've had, the only one of the squad I'm particularly keen to keep would be Barron.  He's been a rare gem amongst the garbage since he came in to the first team - I hope he can continue progressing and isn't dragged down to the level of those around him.

Beyond that I would be happy for just about anyone to leave if the right offer came in.  Ferguson and Ramsay are the most obvious ones who are likely to attract interest.  Ferguson is keen to move on, though whether we'll receive an acceptable offer for him is open to question given a mediocre season and the weaknesses to his game.  Ramsay needs to work on the defensive side, and also I think needs to improve his attitude and concentration a fair bit.

McCrorie I find an interesting case - he's obviously had his problems since joining us due to injury/illness.  Hopefully if he sticks to midfield and gets a good run of matches he'll fulfill the early promise he first showed when he joined.  I'll be honest though and I'm still not sure what his best position is, and that overall he's been a little disappointing so far.

Up front I don't want to be too harsh on Vinny - he's a young lad in a new enviroment joining a team at a difficult time.  He's been a bit hit and miss so far, and needs to cut out the play acting.  Watkins would be an asset if he wasn't so injury prone.  Ramirez has obviously slumped a bit of late.  I don't think it has helped him that we have no suitable back up for him due to the terrible squad building we did last summer, so he's had to keep on starting regardless of form.  I don't think he has justified his rumoured high wages so probably best for him to move on in the summer.

Defence and goalkeeper positions need a total overhaul.  Wouldn't surprise me to see a new first choice goalie and centre back pairing come the start of next season.  The scale of the changes needed is a bit worrying - I don't know how realistic it is to expect so many new faces to come in.  A good start would be to have a more balanced squad at least.

Just now, blowupsheep said:

Not really arguing with any of that pal, I just think the club and in particular JG could have been a bit more diplomatic on how it was handled.

That being said agents over the years have royally fucked the true sportsmanship of the game, and are way too influential.

However Andy could have and probably should have told his agent to get a fekin grip, but he didn't and all got way too messy, but JG acted like a spoiled brat, but hey ho back on topic.

Who would I keep:

McCrorie, Ramsey, Gallagher, Hayes, Barron, Vicente and Ferguson (if we can) the rest can GTF any day the like. I realize in there I have Hayes who will be 35 by the start next of season, but keep him always gives 110% and would be a good squad player, Ferguson is likely to be sold but I would keep him if we can (doubtful) That really leaves on 5 players and that is a true reflection of how fucked up the total place is top to bottom. 

Massive rebuild required and JG is not the man to be able to do it, I don't know who is the right man but in my opinion he should never have been given the job, i's not my job to find, interview and select the clubs manager I don't get paid to do that but I do know who's job it is and they have fucked up now twice on the trot big time and we are in serious shit because of it.

Oh and just for the record I was on the wind up and taking the piss with my "pitch" for popcorn teeth Lennon but holy fuk I got a good few bites on that fishing trip. :fishing: ?

If Considine really wanted to stay, he can tell his agent he’s re-signing for 12 months.

Simple.

He signed a 12 month deal last time & that was without an ACL hit season, so no idea what’s with the 2 year deal.

I’m sure if he was a regular & playing well, we’d talk to him about another 12 months contract next Mar/Apr anyway. 

If he gets £3k & a 2 year deal elsewhere, fair play to him. 

1 minute ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Considine only had himself & his agent to blame.

2 years on £3k per week for a 35 year old recovering from a season long injury?

Fuck that

Not really arguing with any of that pal, I just think the club and in particular JG could have been a bit more diplomatic on how it was handled.

That being said agents over the years have royally fucked the true sportsmanship of the game, and are way too influential.

However Andy could have and probably should have told his agent to get a fekin grip, but he didn't and all got way too messy, but JG acted like a spoiled brat, but hey ho back on topic.

Who would I keep:

McCrorie, Ramsey, Gallagher, Hayes, Barron, Vicente and Ferguson (if we can) the rest can GTF any day the like. I realize in there I have Hayes who will be 35 by the start next of season, but keep him always gives 110% and would be a good squad player, Ferguson is likely to be sold but I would keep him if we can (doubtful) That really leaves on 5 players and that is a true reflection of how fucked up the total place is top to bottom. 

Massive rebuild required and JG is not the man to be able to do it, I don't know who is the right man but in my opinion he should never have been given the job, i's not my job to find, interview and select the clubs manager I don't get paid to do that but I do know who's job it is and they have fucked up now twice on the trot big time and we are in serious shit because of it.

Oh and just for the record I was on the wind up and taking the piss with my "pitch" for popcorn teeth Lennon but holy fuk I got a good few bites on that fishing trip. :fishing: ?

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I can't believe people are keen to keep so many. If we keep 10 of those players how do we expect things to be much different next season? 

I suppose it's just realism - how likely is it that we could sign a whole new first team squad of 20+ players in one summer?  How do we get rid of players who are still under contract and not wanted by other teams?

I think even keeping 10 players and having to make up the rest of the squad through new signings in one transfer window is a hell of a task.  There's bound to be at least a few of those new signings that don't work out.

1 minute ago, DandyWarhol said:

I suppose it's just realism - how likely is it that we could sign a whole new first team squad of 20+ players in one summer?  How do we get rid of players who are still under contract and not wanted by other teams?

I think even keeping 10 players and having to make up the rest of the squad through new signings in one transfer window is a hell of a task.  There's bound to be at least a few of those new signings that don't work out.

Yeah I get that but the thread is titled who would you keep.  

And some folk have double figures listed. 

Which would give you practically the same team next season with a few additions. When they've already proved they are a busted flush. 

18 minutes ago, blowupsheep said:

Do you mean thrown under the bus by Jim fkn Goodwin 

No. Not what I meant at all, and not what actually happened.

I meant being given a pathway into coaching. In Considines case, a one year deal + coaching badges paid for and a coaching role is a good deal. Especially being a) 35 already, b) Just back from a bad injury and c) isn't guaranteed first team football next season. 

Hayes just signed a 12 month contract as well. 

14 minutes ago, Peachandblack said:

Of the first team regulars, Ramsay, Ferguson, Gallagher, Mackenzie, Lewis, Barron, Considine (loyalty), Vicente. Most of them scrape a pass though. Reminds me of the early Craig Brown days when Gavin Rae was seen as an upgrade. ???

I think you're in the minority here. Lewis will be gone in the summer I think. Strong indications that Goodwins wanting to bring in a keeper, and going by the names being mentioned it's likely someone who will be No.1 and not backup.  

• Like 1