Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

What makes you think that?

It's completely the correct strategy IMO and totally negates the biggest scaremonger that NO had last time around.

From experience during the last referendum people found the idea of a currency union hard to grasp. The day to day realities of changing currency will be difficult to explain and will be exploited to frighten the undecided.

From experience during the last referendum people found the idea of a currency union hard to grasp. The day to day realities of changing currency will be difficult to explain and will be exploited to frighten the undecided.

Well if they find both a currency union AND a separate currency unpalatable, they're never going to vote Yes anyway.

I can understand that to some (mainly old folk) that a separate currency may be complicated and a hassle. It really wouldn't be that difficult to operate in reality though. Most people would just have accounts in two different currencies.

Well if they find both a currency union AND a separate currency unpalatable, they're never going to vote Yes anyway.

I can understand that to some (mainly old folk) that a separate currency may be complicated and a hassle. It really wouldn't be that difficult to operate in reality though. Most people would just have accounts in two different currencies.

It would be a pain in the arse and also risk short term rises in mortgage payments, credit card bills etc.

Not saying its a bad idea just that it will be a vote loser.

It would be a pain in the arse and also risk short term rises in mortgage payments, credit card bills etc.

Not saying its a bad idea just that it will be a vote loser.

I think a sense of incoherence and lack of control over currency was a major vote loser.

A solid, explainable, sensible plan, in which we control our own destiny, is a vote winner.

This new currency idea will ensure votes are lost.

Yes, a new poll says nearly 3/4 of us want to keep the pound and only 12% want a separate currency at all.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/holyrood/1734942/nearly-three-quarters-of-scots-want-to-keep-the-pound/

Of course there is a fundamental dishonesty going on here, for the only currency Scotland will ever have other than Pounds Sterling is the Euro.

Exchange rates. If the debt is held in sterling it could conceivably rise immediately after indy. Might go down as well but that won't be the narrative

The debt would be converted into new Scottish Pounds at a set exchange rate most likely 1:1 upon devolution. It wouldn't vary after that (and no it doesn't matter where the banks are based). Our currency would most likely be more stable than the rUK £ as our would be backed by oil reserves and as we are an exporting economy compared to the rUK we would gain many advantages over having control of our own currency. 

Yes, a new poll says nearly 3/4 of us want to keep the pound and only 12% want a separate currency at all.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/holyrood/1734942/nearly-three-quarters-of-scots-want-to-keep-the-pound/

Of course there is a fundamental dishonesty going on here, for the only currency Scotland will ever have other than Pounds Sterling is the Euro.

Complete shite. 

The poll is from the most biased group there is (Scotland in the union) and many countries have their own currency with in the EU. Denmark etc etc.

No idea why the euro is seen as so much worse than the £ anyway. It went through a pretty major crisis with Greece etc and never lost as much value as the £ did after just voting for brexit. Once Brexit kicks in and we get indy the £ will be a shambles. 

What makes you think that?

It's completely the correct strategy IMO and totally negates the biggest scaremonger that NO had last time around.

The problem last time was that they didn't say anything about currency.

The problem this time is what they have said is shit and also fails to acknolwedge the inevitability of joining the euro, as a peripheral EU region (exactly like the Rep Ireland which the SNP idolises).

Complete shite. 

The poll is from the most biased group there is (Scotland in the union) and many countries have their own currency with in the EU. Denmark etc etc.

No idea why the euro is seen as so much worse than the £ anyway. It went through a pretty major crisis with Greece etc and never lost as much value as the £ did after just voting for brexit. Once Brexit kicks in and we get indy the £ will be a shambles.

I don't think "many" countries in the EU dont use the euro. Denmark voted narrowly not to use it but it was only the arse falling out of EU nations finances that finally put the matter to bed (for now - I would bet it will return).

Sweden doesn't use it presently, but is obliged to use it eventually, just as Scotland would be.

Go ask them in Greece, Italy or Spain about the problems with using the euro.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think "many" countries in the EU dont use the euro. Denmark voted narrowly not to use it but it was only the arse falling out of EU nations finances that finally put the matter to bed (for now - I would bet it will return).

Sweden doesn't use it presently, but is obliged to use it eventually, just as Scotland would be.

Go ask them in Greece, Italy or Spain about the problems with using the euro.

I've explained this before in more detail, but for the avoidance of doubt. No member has to use the Euro if they don't want to.

New members are "obliged" to join the Euro once they meet the criteria. However, member countries are entirely in control of these criteria and there's absolutely nothing the EU can do to make them join the Euro.

Sweden has been a member of the EU since 1995 and has never joined the exchange rate mechanism (one of the criteria) because they don't want to join the EU. And they never will unless they decide it's best for them.

Good to see the bullshit unionist arguments based on half truths have started though!

Also particularly looking forward to you using the exact same arguments you used in favour of leaving the EU as a reason to not leave the UK.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I've explained this before in more detail, but for the avoidance of doubt. No member has to use the Euro if they don't want to.

New members are "obliged" to join the Euro once they meet the criteria. However, member countries are entirely in control of these criteria and there's absolutely nothing the EU can do to make them join the Euro.

Sweden has been a member of the EU since 1995 and has never joined the exchange rate mechanism (one of the criteria) because they don't want to join the EU. And they never will unless they decide it's best for them.

Good to see the bullshit unionist arguments based on half truths have started though!

Also particularly looking forward to you using the exact same arguments you used in favour of leaving the EU as a reason to not leave the UK.

That's right new members are obliged to join the Euro - just like I said.

A national government "acting the cunt" as regards meeting their obligations doesnt mean there isn't an formal obligation there.

Craegs argument is like saying:

I am employed to work 40 hours a week, but I dont need to - I could just not turn up.

Yes and I would eventually get the sack, just like there would eventually be some come uppance for such national governments.

I would not like such cavalier attitudes to obligations to dominate scottish politics.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

It actually saddens me that you can be so retarded CS.

Aye Sweden has to join the euro it just hasn’t joined the euro because there’s this son of god who came to earth and said that they have to and they actually have but no one has noticed.

Kill yourself.

Counties you CLAIM the euro has been bad for Spain, Greece, Italy.

Countries doing fine with the euro, every single fucking other one.

Kill yourself.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

A national government "acting the cunt" as regards meeting their obligations doesnt mean there isn't an formal obligation there.

I am employed to work 40 hours a week, but I dont need to - I could just not turn up.

Yes and I would eventually get the sack, just like there would eventually be some come uppance for such national governments.

I would not like such cavalier attitudes to obligations to dominate scottish politics.

Your example shows you don't understand the point (or rather, you do, but you're being a disingenuous cunt as usual)

You are employed to work 40 hours a week - so yes, you would get the sack if you don't actually work.

Member countries are obliged to join the Euro when they meet the criteria, but there is absolutely no obligation to meet the criteria. None at all. The only way your analogy of repercussion comes to pass is if a country met the criteria then refused to join the Euro.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Jesus wept, is that the best you have?

I think only complete thickos buy the "we'll have to join the Euro" lie now anyway. It's been debunked so many times that it's no longer an argument anyone credible can use.

The usual ill-informed (or dishonest) pub bores (like CS) will bash it out though. Even he knows he's talking shite when he comes out with it. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think only complete thickos buy the "we'll have to join the Euro" lie now anyway. It's been debunked so many times that it's no longer an argument anyone credible can use.

The usual ill-informed (or dishonest) pub bores (like CS) will bash it out though. Even he knows he's talking shite when he comes out with it. :)

I’ve heard if we vote for Indy we will be forced to leave the EU.