Scotland V The Netherlands

A few folk have said and did say before the squad was announced that some Aberdeen players would feature due to the fact the game is to be played at Pittodrie. What's the thinking there? They'll play better since it's a 'home' game? Save the SFA a few quid on hotel rooms? Just not really sure why it would come into the manager's thinking. Pretty decent chance that Shinnie, Kenny and Christie would be in this squad if the game was at Hampden, wouldn't there?

The folk you refer to will have said that because in the past when internationals are played outside of Glasgow, managers have selected players from the host club to boost ticket sales. By the time the game comes around the tickets are sold so although they are in the squad it doesn't mean they will actually play. In this case the Dons selected are there on merit anyway and have a good chance of playing.

The first full international at Pittodrie that I attended (Beach end) was in the early 70s when our Martin Buchan and Stevie Murray played v Belgium winning 1-0 (O'Hare). That night Scotland's most capped player and joint top scorer Kenny Dalglish came off the bench for his 1st cap. Manager: Tommy Doc)

Not really a shock for any of the selections. Shinnie & McLean need to stamp a good claim now they've been given an obvious Pittodrie call up. Jack needs to get right to fuck, guaranteed he's stuck between whether to get his first Hun cap in front of his family or to pull out injured so he doesn't get abused

)

Hope Jack gets booed.

Obvious stated ;)

McKay playing a blinder, nearly everyone has now forgotten hes a bigoted racist because hes called up players the fans want.

Not forgotten.

As I said I think its clear what the agenda is. And Mackays agenda here is to win a few fans amongst the huns and dons by calling up a token hun and some dons who deserved more recognition over the last 2 seasons.

• Downvote 1

Done his time

Has he?

If a kiddie fiddler has served his time, is he then allowed to work at a primary school?

If someone convicted of cruelty to animals serves their time would you give them a job at the local zoo?

I could go on, but the point is that having served a punishment doesnt make someone fit to then hold whatever position might be available.

I think its a bit concerning that this guy literally cannot get a job in England with any club, but our SFA think hes ok to be the face of our national football team.

• Downvote 1

Has he?

If a kiddie fiddler has served his time, is he then allowed to work at a primary school?

If someone convicted of cruelty to animals serves their time would you give them a job at the local zoo?

I could go on, but the point is that having served a punishment doesnt make someone fit to then hold whatever position might be available.

I think its a bit concerning that this guy literally cannot get a job in England with any club, but our SFA think hes ok to be the face of our national football team.

The guy sent some racist text messages.

You do know that being a paedophile is considered a more serious crime than making racist jokes in private don't you?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Mackay said: “Ryan Jack is someone who was Aberdeen captain and was a consistent performer for them and who has gone into Rangers in different circumstances, playing a different style of football and playing with an array of different players.

“Through people I speak to at his own club and previous club and scouts, he is another talented player who we are giving a chance to.”

Nice to see some Dons players getting a bit of recognition pity the rat has been selected though.

Good to see a lot of Strachan's shite being dumped hopefully never to return.

As for MacKay being a supposed racist who cares ? If the guy uses real Scots in the team and they start winning all will be forgotten

Don't think there's anything 'supposed' about it.

Very winnable game this for Scotland. Holland are honking and I wouldn't have thought they'd be up for this game really.

Quite clearly a token gesture putting Shinnie and Mclean in the squad, avoiding a marketing nightmare. Christie would be an obvious ommission too IMO.

Can see Mclean getting some minutes and Christie coming on late on. Can see Jack starting but not beside Shinnie. I think Shinnie really deserves a proper chance for Scotland but of all the midfielders, and 2 left backs infront of him.....

In the Scotsman today, "Malky Mackay says the reason he called up Rangers midfielder Ryan Jack to the Scotland squad is partly because of his performances for Aberdeen".

Regardless of whether or not Jack, Mclean, Shinnie, Christie do or do not deserve a call up, that is effectively the entire Aberdeen midfield from the end of last season. I doubt Malky is filling the squad with Dons, ex-Dons and soon-to-be-ex-Dons in order to fill Pittodrie, so this surely puts beyond doubt that Strachan had some agenda against Aberdeen.

I’ve derided the fact that Dons players are constantly overlooked when it comes to Internationals so can’t really be upset about the fact 3 have been called up. Undoubtedly the fact it’s being played at Pittodrie has something to do with it but I’m sure the players are delighted and hopefully they get a chance to prove they belong at that level. Good to see some of Strachan’s deadwood have been overlooked this time, although still some headscratchers in there. Watched Mulgrew at the weekend, did ok but can’t escape the fact this was League 1 football and the standard is pretty dire mostly.

You always get a token Dons player called up for Scotland when game is played at Pittodrie

In the Scotsman today, "Malky Mackay says the reason he called up Rangers midfielder Ryan Jack to the Scotland squad is partly because of his performances for Aberdeen".

Regardless of whether or not Jack, Mclean, Shinnie, Christie do or do not deserve a call up, that is effectively the entire Aberdeen midfield from the end of last season. I doubt Malky is filling the squad with Dons, ex-Dons and soon-to-be-ex-Dons in order to fill Pittodrie, so this surely puts beyond doubt that Strachan had some agenda against Aberdeen.

Aye, he'd look a bit of a fud if he said "Jack is in the squad cause he's done brilliantly this season", wouldn't he? What the fuck else can he say?

What you then say also only makes sense if he plays a midfield 3 of Mclean-Jack-Shinnie! You think that is going to happen? Aye right.

As I said before, token call up for Shinnie, Jack will probably start.

You do know that being a paedophile is considered a more serious crime than making racist jokes in private don't you?

Yes, I do.

I think the point is clear enough though.

Simply "serving the time" doesn't mean someone is then a good choice for a high profile position at our national football association.

What message does it send out to people.

It would have been more sensible for them to leave MacKay in post as the director of development or whatever, but national manager is much more high profile and candidates are really representing our whole game.

He'd fit in on here then....

Thought it was Holland that Scotland were playing. I'd have probably went to that.

Not going to this shite.

Aye, who's this "Netherlands" shite??

Ok then full blown racist

Does Rumpus know him like?

Well it is the Country name & not Holland as that is the region.

Guessing you know this though & are happy to wrongly name the Country as Holland.

Yep, in geographical terms Holland is a small region of the Netherlands, although I think most of the population and big cities are all in Holland.

I suppose calling Netherlands "Holland" might be a bit like calling Scotland "Weegieland" or similar.