Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

U20's Thread

Watched a few of the games and thought Scotland were a bit of a mixed bag, Gilmour and Johnston looked very good and talented, but I thought the likes of Wilson and Hornby were a throw back to the bad old days when big strong donkeys played before good skilful players. Also the guy Ralston was terrible in the England game and looks every bit the Dundee Utd player he was last season.A lot of Old firm players involved which always worries me as where will they be in 2-3 Years

Was he wearing number 2? I saw quite a lot of the Togo game and every single time he had the ball it was launched into the distance, even under no pressure. Brutal.

Aberdeen FC announced on Tuesday that the following players have been released from the development squad:

Defenders Joe MacPherson and Toby Wells.

The club have already revealed that defender Daniel Harvie has left Pittodrie.

So far goalkeeper David Craddock, defenders Sam Roscoe and Ryan Harrington, midfielders Miko Virtanen and Chris Antoniazzi and strikers Connor McLennan and David Dangana have all signed new deals and will all be part of the squad for the new SPFL Reserve League next season.

Paul Sheerin commented: “It is always extremely tough when you have to release boys. I really enjoyed working with Toby and Joe. Their attitude was always excellent. I would like to thanks both players for their efforts, as well as Danny Harvie who is also leaving. Everyone at the club wishes them all the very best for the future.

“It was a very encouraging season last year with so many boys doing well and we look forward to the new set up with the U18 and Reserve Leagues.

“Last year all the players were willing to learn and it was a really enjoyable season.

“The aim of the new set up is to get the boys in playing with more experienced and senior players. Hopefully that will help their development. It may give an opportunity for younger players to go out on loan that probably aren’t playing as much as they’d like so hopefully we can get the balance right as the season develops.

“All the boys need to come back in pre-season bursting with energy and enthusiasm.”

If there are any further updates to Paul Sheerin’s squad we will bring you them as and when they happen ahead of the team flying out for their pre-season training camp on the 29th of June. The Dons youngsters, on an Erasmus+funded trip, will be based in Alicante, Spain.

Paul Sheerin commented: “It is always extremely tough when you have to release boys. I really enjoyed working with Toby and Joe. Their attitude was always excellent. I would like to thanks both players for their efforts, as well as Danny Harvie who is also leaving.

Has that been worded deliberately so as to give the impression that Harvie's attitude wasn't excellent ?

Thread due a name change name now ? Reserves Thread ?

@@fine-n-dandy

Up to the mods. I don't care.

Not really interested in reserve league but will obviously be interested in how the young lads are progressing still.

Problem is that the arse cheeks fielding second team of first team players again in the league just fks everything up again.

Reserve league only benefits teams with big squads/budgets by keeping all their players match fit. A lot of potential young players get overlooked because of this.

Up to the mods. I don't care.

Not really interested in reserve league but will obviously be interested in how the young lads are progressing still.

Problem is that the arse cheeks fielding second team of first team players again in the league just fks everything up again.

Reserve league only benefits teams with big squads/budgets by keeping all their players match fit. A lot of potential young players get overlooked because of this.

Young players should benefit from playing with/against experienced pros though.

For example last season the young lads could have benefited greatly from playing next to Maynard more regularly.

Young players should benefit from playing with/against experienced pros though.

For example last season the young lads could have benefited greatly from playing next to Maynard more regularly.

How can they benefit if they are not getting games because squad players get their places to keep up their fitness?

You could argue that they should be good enough to become those squad players but that is really not always the case & in some cases, even when they are they are left out for worse 'experienced' squad players.

There should be a limited number of over 21's in the reserves games. We are going backwards again.

How can they benefit if they are not getting games because squad players get their places to keep up their fitness?

You could argue that they should be good enough to become those squad players but that is really not always the case & in some cases, even when they are they are left out for worse 'experienced' squad players.

There should be a limited number of over 21's in the reserves games. We are going backwards again.

I hear you. But its a balance isn't it?

Having said that, I'm a little suspicious that I can't find any official announcement of the new SPFL reserve league format (they may actually have a ruling on min number of under 21s or something) - and in Scottish football an absence of transparency is too often because they are hiding something!

No OF colts teams happening though so that's something.

If there are any further updates to Paul Sheerin’s squad we will bring you them as and when they happen ahead of the team flying out for their pre-season training camp on the 29th of June. The Dons youngsters, on an Erasmus+funded trip, will be based in Alicante, Spain.

@@Bad_Mobby you heading down to watch the young lads train?

Interesting news in the last few days regarding the young players.Did anyone see Danny Harvie in the Scotland u21s in Toulon. Coming through as a young player he looked a good prospect,made his debut one night at Firhill,did well at Dumbarton playing in big games and big crowds,Hibs and beating Dundee United.He then comes back to Aberdeen and he is playing Sunday lunchtime in Govan against Edusport Academy.He makes little breakthrough to Aberdeen first team,loses fitness and sharpness and towards the end looked poor in several matches.Gave away free kick against Ross County at Formartine that led to Ross County goal,given the runaround in Youth Cup final v Hibs and nightmare last game at Forfar v Celtic where he was slow and pulled jerseys and fouled the entire afternoon.Surprised he made Scotland U21s.