U20's Thread

By: Hearts Media on 16 Oct, 2017 21:27

Hearts U20s fell to their first defeat in four matches as an Aberdeen side led by high-profile summer signing Greg Stewart came from behind to win a blustery encounter at Ochilview Park in Stenhousemuir.

The Jambos came into the fixture high on confidence after three wins on the bounce, but the side did lack some continuity from the line-up that won the previous week’s match.

Andy Kirk made six changes to the side that won last week’s dramatic encounter with Dundee United at Tannadice, as a combination of injuries and first-team call-ups forced a tactical reshuffle. First-teamers Krystian Nowak and last week’s matchwinner Malaury Martin weren’t involved, while Harry Cochrane, Jamie Brandon and Euan Henderson’s senior side exploits saw them rested, along with Aidan Keena.

Into the side came Kelby Mason between the sticks, Bartolomiej Gajda, Alex Petkov, Lewis Moore and current loanees Dario Zanatta and Callumn Morrison, both enjoying successful spells with Raith Rovers and Stirling Albion in the lower leagues.

Zanatta had the first opportunity of the game, when he made space inside the area to test Danny Rogers with a left-footed effort that the former Falkirk loanee had to look sharp to save, but his goal wasn’t far from coming.

Rory Currie pounced on a short pass in the Aberdeen back-line and broke into the visitors’ half. He played a cool pass inside to Angus Beith, who slipped the ball across to Zanatta who fired the ball home to give Hearts the lead.

The windy conditions were proving difficult for both sides, and Aberdeen were the team to benefit from having a gust at their back in the second half, and they quickly took advantage by levelling after a minute of the half. Hearts were caught out by a short corner, and Frank Ross bundled the ball home.

Beith had a glorious chance to put Hearts back in front on 68 minutes, but he fired over inside the area, and Hearts were made to pay for that miss two minutes later when Greg Stewart cut across the penalty box and slid the ball home to give the Dons the lead.

Beith then had a free-kick from distance pushed wide by Rogers as Hearts sought to find a way back into the match, but the Wee Jambos were unable to breach the Dons backline, and the visitors added gloss to their victory with an excellent strike two minutes from time by their captain Dean Campbell.

Interesting description by hearts media. Greg Stewart - high profile summer signing. That's probably what we'd call him too as in we haven't quite worked out what else he is yet. Cometh the man, cometh the Celtic game though and when he sticks the clincher in the pokey I may well cometh.

Good result. I like the mentality that says fuck being 1-0 down. Let's be 3-1 up instead. How many "high profile summer signings" have we had that would have downed tools and thrown the toys especially in a reserves game.

Interesting description by hearts media. Greg Stewart - high profile summer signing. That's probably what we'd call him too as in we haven't quite worked out what else he is yet. Cometh the man, cometh the Celtic game though and when he sticks the clincher in the pokey I may well cometh.

Good result. I like the mentality that says fuck being 1-0 down. Let's be 3-1 up instead. How many "high profile summer signings" have we had that would have downed tools and thrown the toys especially in a reserves game.

Del should be instilling pride in the senior players turning out for the development team putting in a winning performance.

Maybe a nice little forfeit for any senior player who plays in a development game if we don't win the game.

Having watched the highlights I have to say Stewart looked impressive. He looked as if he was putting in a real shift and trying to impress and work on his game fitness. He was also involved in the celebrations with the younger lads for there goals and looked like he was being very professional in what was an important game for our under 20s. Hopefully a lot more to come from stewart as the season progresses but good to see he isn't in a huff going to the under 20s and getting some much needed game time.

Having watched the highlights I have to say Stewart looked impressive. He looked as if he was putting in a real shift and trying to impress and work on his game fitness. He was also involved in the celebrations with the younger lads for there goals and looked like he was being very professional in what was an important game for our under 20s. Hopefully a lot more to come from stewart as the season progresses but good to see he isn't in a huff going to the under 20s and getting some much needed game time.

Some games I've seen he looks to have that real touch of class that you'd see on the Sportscene highlights when he was at Dundee.... but most games he has looked pretty terrible. Hopefully it works out. Based on what we've seen so far I'm amazed he was nominated for player of the season twice

Think Stewart playing for the u20s is a clear sign that McInnes wants him to replace Christie for the Celtic game. Getting 90 minutes under his belt will hopefully give him a bit of sharpness

Hopefully, rather a direct replacement for Christie than moving Shinnie back into midfield.

With 3 clean sheets in a row the defense doesn't need tampered with.

It sounds stupid but with the inevitable hype surrounding Hayes' return and Brenda probably unable to resist the temptation to play our former starlet against us it might just work in our favour by 'forcing' McInnes to leave Shinnie at LB. Regrettably Ball alongside Des and playing for the draw ten minutes in is much more likely!

0-0 with ten minutes to go with us having a right good go would do me. Obviously 3-1 up and cruising is also acceptable.